Basic Military Parachute wings and its origin

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by sledgehammer, Mar 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm doing some research on the Parachute Regiment and its qualification wings for a project and thought I would post this here as I am sure someone will have the answer!

I'm looking for information on the Basic Military Parachute wings and its origin, when was it designed or commissioned and by whom. Do the colours and wings design have a significance to the regiment it was designed for.
    I know the origins of the SF wings and its design by Jock Lewis from WW2 and that they have the same qualification criteria but not the original Parachute Regiment wings. I have looked via open search and not having much luck

Thanks for any help :)
  2. Have you tried the Airborne Museum at Duxford....they may know.
  3. off topic slightly but why does everyone do uni/college/school stuff on the Parachute Regiment? how about a fresh approach like why the R.Irish wear a caubeen or the RRF have a used tampon on their heads (don's mk 6 un ally'd, non scrimmed helmet)
  4. Wah? Because everyone knows that its only the parachute regiment and SAS who fight and win wars. All other regiments just do public duties you silly billy ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh okay, I'm glad that was cleared up! Back to my public duties I suppose...