Basic Lit and Num Test at ACIO

#1
Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I can't find the answer to this question - to what level is the key skills are they testing us to i.e. lvl 1, 2 or 3?

How easy is it to pass the test?
Any sample questions?

EDIT: It is a basic skills test and not key skills test, isn't it?

Thanks,

Matt
 
#2
Entry Level One (Lowest level) will restrict your jobs to Infantry only
Anything else and you will be fine
 
#3
I did my Basic Skills 2 weeks ago. Far far easier than I thought. I got lvl 2 in both. The parts where u need to know formulas(for area's/volumes) they give you the formula's. I dont think you can compare it to GCSE level, This is far far easier. Dont worry about it, its a doddle.
 
#4
its alright mate it just determines how you learn best i think. theres sound clips and that for guidance, if you do it after selection for example then how can it restrict your jobs, when youve been offered it already?!
 
#5
Proper_job said:
its alright mate it just determines how you learn best i think. theres sound clips and that for guidance, if you do it after selection for example then how can it restrict your jobs, when youve been offered it already?!
That's why you do it before selection :wink: .
 
#8
Let me clarify did you do your Basic Literacy and Numeracy after you had been to ADSC???
 
#10
Okay, I admit I was wrong! My recruiter informed me both the BARB and basic skills tests would play a part in deciding what jobs I could and couldn't do. My mistake :D .
 
#11
Cognitive said:
Okay, I admit I was wrong! My recruiter informed me both the BARB and basic skills tests would play a part in deciding what jobs I could and couldn't do. My mistake :D .
Basic skills does not play any part what so ever in deciding your job choices.
It is a simple basic skills just to see what level you are at, nearly every job does this now.
 
#12
Cognitive said:
Proper_job said:
its alright mate it just determines how you learn best i think. theres sound clips and that for guidance, if you do it after selection for example then how can it restrict your jobs, when youve been offered it already?!
That's why you do it before selection :wink: .
Im doing mine in a few days, and I had selection last week :p

Is it multiple choice on a computer kind of thing?
 
#13
Initial interview, Barb Num and Lit, Medical docs, Interview THEN ADSC???
Just come off the Recruiters course and thats what we were taught????
 
#14
duckiciao said:
Cognitive said:
Proper_job said:
its alright mate it just determines how you learn best i think. theres sound clips and that for guidance, if you do it after selection for example then how can it restrict your jobs, when youve been offered it already?!
That's why you do it before selection :wink: .
Im doing mine in a few days, and I had selection last week :p

Is it multiple choice on a computer kind of thing?
somes multiple choice, some is "spell the incorrectly spelt word in this document correctly" and stuff like that. fairly basic to be honest just briefly revise some basic principles and youll be on your way to sucess.

on the start its got like this is not an exam its just an assessment or something so.. there you go
 
#15
MSI64 said:
Initial interview, Barb Num and Lit, Medical docs, Interview THEN ADSC???
Just come off the Recruiters course and thats what we were taught????
I would imagine that if you have a GCSE in Math or English higher than a "C" then you are above Lit/Num lvl 1? Therefore doing the Barb test proves nothing other than being a confirmatory exercise?

For those that have done/due to do the test after ADSC does that stand as a fair guess?

Jimima

Edited by me, once, because I clearly am not capable of any level of literacy!
 
#16
Jimima_Shark said:
MSI64 said:
Initial interview, Barb Num and Lit, Medical docs, Interview THEN ADSC???
Just come off the Recruiters course and thats what we were taught????
I would imagine that if you have a GCSE in Math or English higher than a "C" then you are above Lit/Num lvl 1? Therefore doing the Barb test proves nothing other than being a confirmatory exercise?

For those that have done/due to do the test after ADSC does that stand as a far guess?

Jimima
the BARB test is the true thing to check how quick thinking you are (and so forth), im just guessing the Lit/Num was to check how you best learn and generally assess you rather than being a pass or fail thing.
 
#17
Proper_job said:
Jimima_Shark said:
MSI64 said:
Initial interview, Barb Num and Lit, Medical docs, Interview THEN ADSC???
Just come off the Recruiters course and thats what we were taught????
I would imagine that if you have a GCSE in Math or English higher than a "C" then you are above Lit/Num lvl 1? Therefore doing the Barb test proves nothing other than being a confirmatory exercise?

For those that have done/due to do the test after ADSC does that stand as a far guess?

Jimima
the BARB test is the true thing to check how quick thinking you are (and so forth), im just guessing the Lit/Num was to check how you best learn and generally assess you rather than being a pass or fail thing.
My apologies, you're right the BARB tests your thought processes , speed etc. The num/lit test proves your basic skills, something already tested at GCSE etc?

Jimima
 
#18
Thanks for the replies, guys.

There seems to be a little confusion with my ACIO. They have informed me that the basic skills goes up to level 3 (A level standard). Surely this isn't right, I though it only went up to level 2.

Is there anyone who can clarify to what level the basic skills go up to?

If it is up to level 3, then I'd need to dust off the old A level revision guides.

Cheers,

Matt
 
#19
I think they're all level 2 standard questions, but if you get 100% they award you level 3. I got one question wrong on my Numeracy test, and only received a level 2. I assume the same is involved in the Literacy exam.
 

Latest Threads

Top