Basic Freefall Parachute

#1
Since no-one cares about the training wing I thought I'd post here too,

The RSM waved a form with some dates on in front of my face and I said "why not..", can anyone tell me a bit about it? I can guess it involves dropping out of a plane in sunny Germany (I'm only going to stock up on the Apfelkorn)

Anyone done it?
Good course?


btw I know there's a good few places left over the next month or two..
 
#3
I take it you are going to Paberborn , only done a days course but it´s a a mega fun day ! If its wings youre after , do the Dutch para course in Texel , no bull. just jumping and enjoying the view !
 
#5
topwaltermitty said:
WhiteHorse said:
Do you get yer wings?
Not without P coy you may get a bloon type thing though on yer arm
It's adventure training, a few static line lobs before going onto free fall (if you are good enough at dummy pulls).

You do not get any 'wings' and rightly so seeing as it is basically a civilian parachute course without the physical thrashing of P Coy, AACC etc.

You walting cnuts.
 
#6
Did the course back in the late 1980's and had a fecking brilliant time!

For any walts out there, no wings and no balloon badge! However, you can say at the end "At least I can be trusted to pull my own 'chute."

Every CR I've had since has had "Basic Free Fall Para" in my Spec Quals. :roll:
 
#7
megadeth said:
I take it you are going to Paberborn , only done a days course but it´s a a mega fun day ! If its wings youre after , do the Dutch para course in Texel , no bull. just jumping and enjoying the view !
You can't wear the Dutch wings unless you've qual'd to wear the Brit ones.
 
#8
The JSAT Basic Freefall Parachute Course at Bad Lippspringe is a well run course, with good instructors, good equipment, and a rare chance for TA soldiers to get themselves a couple of weeks in Germany at next to no cost and without green kit.

It is an introduction to civilian sport parachuting which will, by the end of it, give you a good grounding of the sport and set you on your way to getting qualified if you wish to carry on. My advice..... go for it.

The 'Dutch Wings' course at Texel is over priced and gives you no real qualification at all, considering the Dutch don't have any Para Units. Don't bother unless you are really 'walt' enough.
 
#9
It's the thinking man's parachuting ..... a few jumps on the "dope rope " if you get that right they let you pull your own string ...did the two week course many moons ago .........great fun !!!

And whatever anybody tells you ....the second jump is always the scariest cos you know what's coming !!!
 
#11
Plant-Pilot said:
The 'Dutch Wings' course at Texel is over priced and gives you no real qualification at all, considering the Dutch don't have any Para Units.
Really? I could've sworn I'd seen Dutchers winged up at Altcar.
 
#12
gunfighter said:
It's the thinking man's parachuting ..... a few jumps on the "dope rope " if you get that right they let you pull your own string
Until you've left a Hercules at 650 feet, with 100lbs plus strapped to your legs, with 89 other blokes in the aircraft and another 8 aircraft dropping at the same time, on the same DZ, you haven't come anywhere near a parachute descent!

(Before anyone comments I do skydive too)!
 
#13
If it's run by the Army, be careful. Defence cuts can strike at any time.

I've been on exercise with a chit in lieu of ammo. I'd hate to think of jumping out of an aeroplane with a piece of paper in my hand instead of a parachute strapped to my back.
 
#14
Geordie_Blerk said:
topwaltermitty said:
WhiteHorse said:
Do you get yer wings?
Not without P coy you may get a bloon type thing though on yer arm
It's adventure training, a few static line lobs before going onto free fall (if you are good enough at dummy pulls).

You do not get any 'wings' and rightly so seeing as it is basically a civilian parachute course without the physical thrashing of P Coy, AACC etc.

You walting cnuts.
Geordie,

That'l be a bite then :wink:
 
#16
Rooper said:
gunfighter said:
It's the thinking man's parachuting ..... a few jumps on the "dope rope " if you get that right they let you pull your own string
Until you've left a Hercules at 650 feet, with 100lbs plus strapped to your legs, with 89 other blokes in the aircraft and another 8 aircraft dropping at the same time, on the same DZ, you haven't come anywhere near a parachute descent!

(Before anyone comments I do skydive too)!
. . . . only 98 - how dull. :roll:

Try some big numbers : - say, 400 :D
 
#17
Well, someone from the unit just returned...2 jumps in two weeks heh, hopefully the weather will be better for me. Although she did get in a lot of shopping apparently...
Also she was the only TA type there, rest all regulars so I could be in for some abuse if its the same heh
 
#18
If the weather is decent - and this time of year is distinctly 'iffy' - 2 weeks is long enough to crack at least 15 jumps from scratch.

If you concentrate, and really work at it you could be well into free-fall by the end of it.

From memory, Lippspringe operates the RAPS system of training. Details here: http://www.bpa.org.uk/progress.htm - read the bits about RAPS and Progress - I can't find anything more detailed from the BPA or from Lippspringe themselves, but this will be close enough for now: http://www.bpslangar.co.uk/html/intermediate/RAPS-Progression.htm

O - and just remember 2 things:

1. It IS scary but it ISN'T dangerous.

2. The easiest way to make a small fortune out of skydiving, is to start with a big one. :D
 
#19
Mongoose, If she just got back last Friday we had 4 OCdts from Tayforth on the course so don't think she was the only TA type. The weather was very poor but hopefully will be better for the 7 we sent yesterday.
 
#20
I think shes confused from the altitude, she did say she was the only TA person but I asked her about the 4 from Tayforth and she said yep they were there! How strange..

Hopefully I'll get more than 2 jumps in :-(
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads