Basic Drill Course

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by SgtSlaughter, Sep 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am due to go on the Basic Drill Instructors Course in November.

I am just looking for advice on what to take, what not to take, what to expect etc etc. I have heard about "the bush" but that was in Pirbright. The course is now in catterick.

Not looking forward to learning to bull boots again. Not done it in a long time. I had boots with tornado nose cone paint for years. they were immaculate.

2. Ear plugs, sense of humour and come comfy insoles.

3. Public Duties per chance?

Enjoy mate :wink:

4. It totally depends on your squad instructor, mine was a total cock, i ******* hated the course.

That said other instructors were really good, funny and down to earth.

I have heard the course has mellowed alot, less drinking and fun, but also less bullshit!

Just take what the kit list says, if you cant get anything drill related the drill wing will issue you it. eg you will do NO drill in Combat highs, you will be in ammo boots all the way, make sure if you are not senior already you get all your kit tailored to the rank of SGT as you will be in the mess.

They also teach you how to bull boots quick as ****, infact that was the best thing i learned on the course!!

I hope you enjoy it mate,

NSG

5. So what's the secret? :D

6. its a secret, only drill instructors know!

7. only joking!!!

Forget bulling in circles, just cover as much area as quick as you can, the polish gets absorbed quicker, so they shine easier.

I can not really describle it though as it is hard to explain, but the word is "square bulling" try you tube or google something will come up on a search!

8. AS I was told by my CSgt at RMAS, "not silly little circles, Sir, large, substantial, bulling-type circles..."

9. How the hell do you forget how to bull boots?

10. he painted them!! no bulling required!!??

11. Ahh, the hedge round the 'square' and 'I am a mong, I am a mong, etc, etc.
    It's been a while but I remember a polaroid camera came in quite handy to show whatever indiscretion was required for re-show.

Take everything in the spirit it was intended and you will, honestly, enjoy it. Oh, and make sure your boots fit for the introduction round the camp on the first day - which presumably they still do!

12. You don't forget to ride a bike just because you get your Cat B+E driving licence! Basic training is supposed to sear that stuff - bulling boots, sewing badges, ironing kit and other fun stuff like shooting evil-doers in the face - into your mind like a brutal scar. I blame the section Cpl. :lol:

13. You don't forget to ride a bike just because you get your Cat B+E driving licence! Basic training is supposed to sear that stuff - bulling boots, sewing badges, ironing kit and other fun stuff like shooting evil-doers in the face - into your mind like a brutal scar. I blame the section Cpl. :lol:

14. Your just to retro now. I think if you look under the European charter 2009/119/548 you will find it contravenes a soldiers human rights to bull/highly polish footwear. Something about polish being absorbed through the finger/skin over a period of years causing illness.

15. I know how to bull boots but to get them to the high standard that is expected at basic training/ Phase 2 training would probably take me hours these days instead of minutes trying to remember all the techniques I would have known.

I posted this as I am after a bit of advice on what to expect and what to take. Comments about riding bikes aren't exactly helpful and aren't particularly witty either! Mind you this is the Signals board i posted on - should have known better.

I fully expect to get stick on the course for being sigs but what military course doesn't have it's bull spit that you have to ignore abd get on with.

Came close to taking myself off the course after hearing my unit sgt maj at the unit photograph saying the old "Drill is a Pill" line at least 6 times when we were only sizing off!

Hope I don't come back off it spouting cliched lines!