BASI Ski instructor - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by WildGoose, Feb 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I'm currently considering investing some of my hard earned cash in the BASI Trainee Alpine ski instructor course. Can anyone advise me if this is worth it?

Assuming I go on to get the full instructor qualification, how hard is it to get accreditation to use in Europe?

All advice appreciated

2. I did the BASI Trainee instructor course in 2001, it was really good as far as a performance course goes, but I wasn't smitten with BASI as an organisation. A mate (BASI 2) recommended the Canadian route which I did in Andorra, thoroughly enjoyed it, cheaper than BASI and less time consuming. Have a shufty at
  3. BASI is now a fully European Accreditted qual.
  4. Don't forget there's progression in the various instructor schemes so make sure you're comparing like for like.

BASI are aligned with the other European and International schemes but the Alpine nations like France put restrictions on who can teach there.

For BASI this means:
    Trainee Instructor : It's "Just that"! it's only a foundation to get the first rung on the ladder. Employment value borders on nil.

Ski Instructor (BASI 3): International qualification that allows you to work in Australia, Canada, Switzerland, New Zealand and America amongst others. Italy & Andorra, however ask you to complete an additional training course (about a week) to work there.

You can teach military groups if you have Tour Leader Training (TLT) but need to go on an instructor induction (HQ ATG (G)) or JSSI to award BSP & ASP qualifications.

As a newly qualified BASI 3 expect to get the kid's groups and not much more than lift pass and living costs.

In France and Austria BASI 3 puts you in their "trainee instructor" bracket and you need the Euro speed test and/or BASI 2 Ski Teacher qualifications to teach privately.

Euro Speed test: You are set on a GS race course against a FIS rated ski racer. Apparantly your abiity to teach is equal to how fast you can get down a piste.

BASI 2: After 200 logged hours teaching you can start the training for BASI's next level. More time, effort and money and a second language & snow discipline. Gives you wider acceptance, more job opportunities and better pay.

If you just want to do loads of skiing without making it a career also look at: : Ski Club GB will get you qualified as a Rep/guide for a fraction of the cost, let you work in France etc. and still cover your expenses. : Provide ski accomodation from a month to a whole season at a lot less than it costs to become an instructor.
  5. Thanks guys - that's all really useful.
  6. Indeed. Although I got my qualifications through Ecole du Ski Français , the glorious Republic of France is only allowing French nationals who hold an ESF qualification to be employed in France. Oddly, 62 of the 63 state registered ski schools are disputing this ruling (the 63rd being ESF). It's the same situation now as a decade ago, when I passed my courses.

When I got my training in the early 90's, the BASI was a bit of a joke. Nowadays, it's a solid course with well recognised accreditation. shows just how well developed the courses have become. So much so, I may reaccredit with BASI.
  7. i went the canadian route (more for interests sake rather than a job - not enough money in it!). The CSIA system is well thought out, and if you want to teach and don't mind the pay, work isn't too hard to find over there. I dont have the level 3 (internationally certified) so I havent looked at the prospects for CSIA types in europe.

If you go the canadian route, I would also reccomend doing the CSCF courses. (canadian ski coaches federation) There is a lot of cross-over between the associations, although I much prefer the more 'race' style skiing of the CSCF. (more carving, less snow-plough!)

if you want more info - csia and cscf web sites