Bashing a military grade laptop on someones head...

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by King-walt, Nov 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm using a HP Elitebook 6930 as my main work book, never mind the specs they are quite reasonable but the hard drive you see is a Solid State Drive, which as we all know is designed to be able to take a knock or 2, this laptop itself is passes US military standards; "this machine has also passed the same rigorous US military standard (MIL-STD- 810F) as the Hi-Grade, and can withstand drops from 2.9ft, sandstorms, vigorous vibrations and an altitude of 15,000ft."

My question to everyone, is with the survivability of the laptop and the hard drive in mind, I have someone who is really irritating, would this thing still work if I picked it up and bashed him across the head in a fit of rage or threw it at him?

2. Try it on yourself and find out. :)

3. Probably an urban myth but I'm told of the chap at ITDU who, presented with salesmen bigging up some gadget as "drop-proof" would hoy it out of his first floor office window saying " Lets check, shall we ?"

4. That isn't an urban myth; there was a Cavalry Major in ATDU who did that. And it was a very effective method of reining in the more enthusiastic salesman!

Litotes

5. Make sure that the laptop is switched off, therefore the HD won't be spinning; No data loss! Should be perfectly fine.

Nb. My recommendations may differ with varying force applied.

6. Oh Christ, apologies!

Serves me right for not paying attention whilst reading.

7. Points to note.

The test standards refer to replicated effects in lab environments... in short 'what the boffins 'think' the environment will do to the machine' not what will really happen.

So you may find that when you drop it from 2.9ft it still breaks, as something wasn't quite 'as tested'.