Basha building?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Digital, May 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

This is my first forum topic and it's not very exciting, well maybe not to you :) for me it's a bit of education and a chance to get something up this weekend quickly and with ease :) (Well kinda)

Anyway I was wondering to myself about Basha building I have 10 tent pegs some para cord, funky olive string & of course one basha! So what's the standard basha like? do you just use four tent pegs (one at each end) a bit of either string or para cord in the middle and raise it above ground?

*Could you use two of these basha's slightly over lapping and use them together to hold some other squaddies like a 2x1 or could you even hook 2x2 and hold up to 6 people under the lot?

I'm very much up for any info as this has not been covered in the RT2 "what we shall be doing" list of things I know it field craft but that will commence during the actual weekend and we will be getting their on Friday night about 7pm!

So anyway as I said very boring for you, but it's my first forum topic started :)
    Nice to meet you all as well :)

Very best regards
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Lesson No 1 - it is basha

Not an English word but one which has moved down into armyspeak from some lazy guys in a hot climate doing nowt but think up how to use funny words in conversation. :lol:
  3. Peg two corners, keep it low, tie / Bungee the other two corners to some trees. Face outwards. get cold and wet. Job done.
  4. A_Y is only jealous as his word for basha was "cave".
  5. Thanks very much, I'm just going to edit the "Basher" to Basha" :)

As you can see I'm green, hehh
  6. The most important thing to remember about Bashas is that you must get them down first thing in the morning. Its all very well being stood to and trying to keep a low profile but if there's 15 big fcuking sheets hanging in the trees then its all abit pointless.
    Get up, immediately either you or your mate gets the thing down either by cutting the paracord or string or whatever or by unclipping the bungies from the trees.
  7. Could you place two next to each other with a tree in the middle similar to this typo diagram / | \ (Basha, Tree, Basha) would this be acceptable? I mean you or I might not get as wet/cold?
  8. You have to be able to fit two people underneath it and get out of it quickly. You can do anything you like so long as you can fit and not attract the attention of people likely to mock your shite basha skills.

If this is just for your first night on a TA training weekend before they start stands the day afterwards, are you sure you arent just going to be put in a barn?
  9. I'm not sure what we will be doing with our basha's once we have put them up.. not even sure if we will taking them down during the day it was not covered in the overview of the RT2 training.. but I guess your right we will have to take put them up during the evening and take them down first thing in the morning :)

It's nice to know we will maybe not be having them hang around all day on the training field so I will make sure mine is easy to disassemble as it was to assemble :)
  10. From what rumour has it, it's an old bomb housing "place" it's in Bedford and I think there are disused bomb shelters around but we will not be using them as far as I know because of water and ditch's around the place, but this is only rumour and I was thinking it has to be either in a part building (like an old shack) or out in the woods, either way I'm not fussed but would like staying in the woods around the trees for the experience :)

*OK that's sounds a bit wrong, and maybe I'm a bit excited about the whole camping thing :)
  11. Look mate, I assume its the infantry you're going to be joining. Do as is shown by the instructors, its that simple. Don't worry about what we think of it. Its your first field weekend... you're there to be taught and you will be.
  12. Make it as low as possible or it'll be even colder than its going to be anyway
  13. Thanks very much for your advice :) it's very much well received :)
  14. On another note yes it is infantry I am joining, it's the 3rd Royal Anglian Regiment (assault pioneers) I over heard a conversation about our nickname last week "Poachers" or something!
  15. Your basha needs to be as low to the ground as possible so that you can reduce the amount of wind whipping about inside and so that you don’t create any obvious silhouettes.
    When you come to build your basha it should be fairly obvious how to achieve this.

You’re in danger of becoming the TAs answer to 5.56mm, are you related?