Basebleed 105mm HE Shell

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by g4eddie, Nov 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there is an Extended range shell (ERFB - BB) for the L118 105mm light Gun and what range it gives?

I know the French and Yanks have used Rocket assisted rounds in their 105mm guns to give over 22km range but that method reduces the explosive payload i the shell.

Any ideas?........

2. Firing supercharge you can get about 17km out of a Light Gun. More with rocket-assisted projectiles, but they're rare in our army.

Beyond that the 155mm or MLRS would be the weapon of choice.

(All of the above is quoted from a friend who's a gunner; he's still a bit hungover from yesterday's celebrations so if it's wrong that's why ;) )

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Up to around 50KM with the basebleed lessoning drag was the original "give us money to develop this" shout. Not sure of the reality but between basebleeding, terminal guided arty, stormshadow and UAV's there's very little need to have the RAF FB's. Just launch Stormy off a Cessna and bobs your uncle.

Assuming of course it all works, turns up on time and is bought in sufficient numbers..

4. Yes there is a BB HE shell designed for L118 by BAE. I believe it also has an insensitive HE fill, presumably BAE's ROWANEX.

Reportedly its max range is 20.6 km. As to why it isn't in service, my guess is that the dispersion is on the high side and the improvement in max range is really only marginal. If and when a reasonably priced course correcting fuze becomes available then it may appear in service.

5. In 2005 50,000 improved BAE 105 ammo was orderded worth about £17000000

6. Although the claim for Rowanex is that it ALSO provides slightly better frag, the fact is that the use of the substance is in line with NATO policy for Insensitive Munitions fills for as many stores as possible in the future.

The trouble with basebleed shells is that in general they lighten weapon effects payloads and frankly I can't see much call for them in 105mm calibre.

7. Improved frag is supposed to be a feature of all the plastic bonded explosives (PBX), ROWANEX is just BAE's version although as I understand it they have various types for different purposes. A BB unit takes up space and weight, there's a cost for that which is less 'payload'.

My understanding is that all new UK munitions, and where possible replacement stocks, have to meet IM regulations. This includes the order for more 105mm HE referred to, but they are not BB although the lower density of PBX compared to traditional RDX/TNT means that it's a longer shell with more fill volume but identical mass and ballistics.

The IM issue was reportedly what stopped 52 calibre barrels and modular charges for AS90. The S African modular charges were fantastically low barrel wear, but not IM compliant and couldn't at the time be made so, and no exemption from the IM regs was allowed. That said some reports are implying that now that the S African stuff is owned by Rheinmetaal the Germans are cracking the IM problem for the low wear modular charges.

8. Correct on all fronts :D There are literally hundreds of different IM fills. As an aside the Swedes have developed modular charges that can simpl;y be emptied onto the ground and the decompose to form fertiliser. They have also developed mercury-free primers.

9. And there was me thinking the whole purpose of modular charges was that there were none left over.

Still all that nitrogen, should be able to have a veggy patch on every gun position.

10. It makes de-milling them easier. The Swedes aren't allowed to OB anything so its either fertilizer or a furnace with an Integrated Pollution Control System, on-line monitoring and independent monitoring equipment and annual emmission reports. The first option, after R and D costs, was deemed cheaper. Similarly, there is a zero emmission policy on Mercury so there was no option but to develop Mercury free primers.