BASC offers armed forces discount. Press release.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Debbie BASC, Mar 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BASC offers armed forces discount.

March 2011…………….……………………………………………….immediate release

The council of the UK’s largest shooting organisation has decided to recognise the contribution made by the armed forces by introducing a subscription discount for all serving members, including reservists.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) now offers members who are in any branch of the armed forces a £10 discount on their membership subs.

Philippa Bursey, BASC’s director of business management, said: “As a national organisation we wanted to show that we recognise and appreciate what our armed forces do for our country.”

BASC has also recently introduced a phased direct debit scheme to make it even easier and more cost effective for people to join BASC. Membership subs have been kept at last year’s prices and discounts for Young Shots, OAPs and people on Jobseekers’ Allowance remain in place.

For more information and to join or renew membership, phone 01244 573030. Applicants will need to be able to provide evidence that they are currently serving in the armed forces.

ENDS

2. Considering how bloody useless they've been lately I think the entire membership deserves a discount.

3. May I ask for some references to back that comment up. In my opinion BASC are the top organisation for protecting us shooters.

Additionally, as a BASC Member (whioh I assume that you are also) I wholeheartedly agree with the Armed Forces discount.

4. IMO BASC is now an organisation in search of a semi-official role, more interested in helping the Govt implement new rules than questioning their necessity. Was happy to help ease the passage of the privatisation of the old common right of wildfowling into a closed shop of (natch) BASC -affiliated clubs, also making good money out of the police's increasing insistence on the largely worthless DSC for the grant of larger-calibre FACs.

Their rates are pretty high too, having been a member since I was 17 (when it was still WAGBI), last year I changed to the NGO for far less, the same benefits and without funding an organisation actively conniving at the ever-greater pointless regulation of field sports.

5. I agree with every word of that.

6. Start with the gamebird rearing legislation fiasco, which was only averted by the election. Then there's the recent airgun storage legislation when BASC conspicuously failed to so much as mention the matter until it was a done deal and then almost crawled up the gov't's bottom in their press release. I could also mention the attitude of some of their reps at the Game Fair last year and their pretty divisive advertising.

Mind you I lost any respect for them around the time of the Hunting Act when they blatantly sold out to NuLab and fecked over the farmers and the hunters. That the deal they thought they did with ministers at the time actually provided sufficient loophole to allow farmers to use terriers in fox control was (I have it on good authority) most definitely not their intention.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

BASC need to cut their costs, they are the most expensive of orgs and ordinary members arent very well served. I'm NGO having left BASC over its slavish adoption of the DSC and its ignorance of facts re wild boar5 and calibres led the Plod to adopt one of their usual silly commitee utterances.
    A mate insures for £20 through a simple country sports insurer and gets better cover in my opinion and at least as good as BASC members do!
    £60 for what a badge?

8. Fair do, you do get a car sticker as well.