Basal metabolic rate

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Friendly_Fire, Oct 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right. I get up each morning and go running, Sometimes (usually when I am getting up), it feels like it might be easier to run when I get home after work.

I have heard people say (and it sounds plausible) that running in the morning puts up your basal metabolic rate throughout the day, thereby, like compound interest, increasing your "return".

If you run at night, do you get the same effect? Or, does going to sleep negate the "trailing" effect of running?

Not sure.

Anyone have an idea (there must be a small horde of PTI-trianed people out there who know more about this than me!).

2. this is from my triathlon mag,

training btn 0600-1500, you are waking up cold and you need time to warm up your muscles, however, as blood glucose levels are low, exercise stimulates increased fat metabolism.

training btn 1500-1700, the fuel intake from lunch wears off which leads to a drop in mental and physical alertness which leads to increased fatigue.

training btn 1700-1900, optimum time for training, as body is fully awake, your blood glucose levels are high after two meals, as is your concentration.

training btn 1900-2200, you're tired from the days activities and training isn't ideal, but your body will become used to it as part of a well structured training plan.

3. I like the idea of waking up at 1500, but I get your meaning!

I am a (decreasingly) fat bastaard, and so I appreciate the increased fat metabolism. In fact, I might be kidding myself, but on my run I reckon I can tell when the glucose is used up - I go slightly light-headed for 30 seconds or so, and then feel OK but fatigued (in that I find it harder to speed up after this point), but I am perfectly comfortable to keep going at a gentle pace. It's usually at about 1.5 miles into the run, but does vary.