Barry Cryer dead

One of the genuine greats of comedy. Wrote for all the greats, including Morecombe and Wise, still working, and still funny till the end.

Very sad news indeed. He was one of the true greats. Brandreth and Fry’s tweets put it much more eloquently than I ever could. He will be a great loss to British comedy.

Chef

LE
I knew of him from 'Hello Cheeky' onwards. A very good performer and a better writer. The world of comedy is a little bit poorer.

I knew of him from 'Hello Cheeky' onwards. A very good performer and a better writer. The world of comedy is a little bit poorer.
The world is a lot poorer.

One of his sketches.

A man sitting in his living room. Knock at the door. The wife gets it. She walks back in the room.
Man says "who is it?"
Woman says " He says he served with you during the war".....

.....In walks Adolph Hitler.

Last edited:
I would say a lot poorer, my dad is 86, I said to him when this news broke Nervous”?
he replied “yes” and then told a Barry Cryer.
A chap was driving down a country lane and unfortunately ran over and killed a cockerel. He went and knocked on the farm house and the farmers wife answered, “sorry madam”, he said “but I’ve ran over and killed your cockerel and I’d like to replace it” The farmers wife replied “ Ok the hens are round the back”.

RIP Barry and thanks for the laughs.

chief chip

Clanker
Such sad news to see another great go, but I have been laughing out loud to the comments on here. That doesn’t happen to often these days. RIP Barry and thanks for the memories

Often wonder why he got passed over for some sort of Honour.

Man walks into a bar.
Orders a Dry Martino.
Barman says, "Don't you mean a Martini"?
"No" says the man, "I only want one".

BlipDriver

War Hero
Always seemed to be someone who thoroughly enjoyed what he was doing, at least as much as those he was entertaining.
From ISIHAC I particularly remember the Brae Fart from sound charades, & him and Rob Brydon competing on Tom Jones songs.
My world is sadder.

Last edited:

JAD

LE
Ladies and Gentleman of Arrse; @Bravo_Bravo has got this so subtly but absolutely spot on. The rest of us have joined and waxed lyrical, recalling the joy the BC gave us all of a *cough.. generation.

What I mean is, Barry Cryer has his own thread rather than being placed in the also rans in the 2022 Dead Pool. I may raise a small sherry this evening and you're welcome to join me. RIP one of the last truly great gag meisters. A comedy genius. What must his and Monkhouses' joke books be worth now?
One of the genuine greats of comedy. Wrote for all the greats, including Morecombe and Wise, still working, and still funny till the end.

Sad news indeed. The chap was a total legend.
My mate Barrie worked with him over the years during and after his time at the Players' Theatre and has said that it was always difficult to get any work done because of the stream of funnies that just naturally poured from him.

Latest Threads