Barry Budden...

Handy place..Great ranges.....Training area is a bit small and very flat...blocks are spot on...Naffi is not old and the foods good..as long as you dont mind a wait!
food not too bad but the horror bags are gash!!!!
if your going out for a beer go towards Dundee the local pubs are not great...

the Sgt and officers messes are in good order and the place has a near new DCCT...

over all good place for Camp/Course........

It has hot showers, a decent Naafi and the packed lunches had enough in them for 3... except when you get something hot, then you just get a scrap of food and an apple.

tigerbaby said:
It has hot showers, a decent Naafi and the packed lunches had enough in them for 3... except when you get something hot, then you just get a scrap of food and an apple.
Fcuk me, Scotland has running water? 8O

Well I never...

Monifieth is the first place you come to on leaving BB and it has a few pubs (which stay open very late :D ) & a good chippy. Broughty Ferry (pronounced Brotty Ferry) has a few excellent pubs and is next door to Monifieth on the way to Dundee. BF has loads of pubs & a few chippies. Dundee is a good night out.

Oh, and Barry Budden camp is OK too :D

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
the_matelot said:
tigerbaby said:

Well I never...
Its called rain Matelot :cry: Remember the old adage - If it is not raining, then it is about to.

Beat me to it A-Y.

It's not called Barry Butlins for nothing.

Went there on exercise Sept 2000 and we had to doss down in an old light house keepers place called "Jacks House". Stagging on surrounded by sand dunes was fun in near hurricane winds getting sand blasted for hours. Dundee Ten minutes on train and as stated by others a good night out with load of Students to impress with your skills as an Elite Airborne underwater knife fighter..

the_matelot said:
tigerbaby said:

Well I never...
We had it before you lot you savage, greasy matelot :p

tigerbaby said:
the_matelot said:
tigerbaby said:

Well I never...
They were living in mud huts and eating dung when we got it.. :wink:

Tartan_Ninja said:
tigerbaby said:
the_matelot said:
tigerbaby said:

Well I never...
They were living in mud huts and eating dung when we got it.. :wink:
So that's why he talks sh*te all the time and spends most of his time in the gutter :D There's just no hiding a deficiency of class with some people :D

Showers ? Blocks ?? When I was there we bivvied up on the sand dunes and the only building we saw was the ressy testing facility. The only thing I remember about it was burning my eyebrows off lighting the lazyman boiler

Hot & Cold biting beasties, ticks with Lymes alles uber der platz.

Barry Baltic projects into the Firth of Tay/North Sea so you catch all the shitty weather that's coming in from Scandy - strong winds, rain, sleet, more rain, etc. You can get good periods of prolongued sunny weather, but the wind doesn't ever let up. If you're shooting on on Barry North or Barry South (600m & 400m ranges, respectively), the wind swirls like b*ggery between the 100m and 200m firing points. It's quite common to see range flags blowing in different directions at different parts of the same range. There are a good variety of ranges, catering for all stages of firing.

The actual exercise area is flat and low lying. It's mostly sandy soil held together by grass so quite easy to dig in, but away from Barry Ridge drainage ain't so good and the water stays quite near the surface. The western half of the area is criss-crossed with drainage ditches 3-4ft deep which flood in sustained rain, making patrolling a wet experience. It's also well lit by ambient light from Monifieth/Carnoustie to the north which can play merry hell with your NV kit.

Accommodation is good, now. The Nissen Huts have gone and the blocks are large, modern and well-appointed. The camp staff are as per SOPs, but at least they've got over making you change from boots to gutties to enter the cookhouse.

Monifieth is good for a night out, but limited and you'll likely get bored quickly. There's a decent Indian just off the route into camp that passes under the railway line. Broughty Ferry is a lot better, with a wide variety of pubs and a few good chippies/kebab shops. Dundee is even better still. Incidentally, it has traditionally one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe. Not that I'm suggesting a link with BB and HMS Condor, or anything...

Excellent place - even in my day!

Remember well buggereing about in a Recce Rover in the dunes behind the big MT Shed. Until I tipped her over that is!

I remember dug in on Barry Ridge for 10 days. It was the coldest, wettest exercise I ever done. This was over 30 years ago, and can still remember it, like it was yesterday.

Have a great time!.

CTC.
ps. It used to have the longest assault course in the uk.

1987 - Nissen huts, bunk beds (never sleep on the bunk below Paul McGill), sand dunes, wind, rain, and a 10 hour drive in convoy just to get there. Great. Just great...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bravo_Bravo Army Reserve 123
Strike The NAAFI Bar 47
L OTC and ACF 16