Barroso says - "Britain closer to joining the Euro"

I wonder if this is the end game. I wonder how much of this is 'engineered'.

Britain close to joining the Euro

UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

Mr Barroso has been told by British politicians they now favour the euro
The UK is "closer than ever before" to joining the euro, according to the president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.

Speaking on a French radio show, he said British politicians were considering the move because of the effects of the global credit crunch.

In the same interview, Mr Barroso also forecast that interest rates will drop in Europe.

However Downing Street said its position on the euro remained the same.

Mr Barroso acknowledged "the majority" of British people continued to oppose joining the eurozone.

But he said the recent economic uncertainty had made the currency a far more attractive option.

Confidential conversations

In the RTL radio/LCI television broadcast, the former prime minister of Portugal said: "We are now closer than ever before.

"I'm not going to break the confidentiality of certain conversations, but some British politicians have already told me, 'If we had the euro, we would have been better off'. "

He said that the current poor economic situation had emphasised the importance of the euro and the UK but added he believed a move would not take place in the immediate future.

"I know that the majority in Britain are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration under way and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it", he said.

The value of sterling compared with other currencies has fallen during the credit crunch, and the UK government has had to spend massively in recent months to try to support the economy.

'Awaiting decisions'

During the interview, Mr Barroso highlighted the situation in Denmark - an EU state that voted against joining the eurozone in 2000, but is now considering holding a new referendum on the single currency.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "We have no comment on this. Our position on the euro is the same - it has not changed."

Mr Barroso also said he expected the European Central Bank (ECB) to make a clear move to cut interest rates next week.

He said the conditions were right for a fall, but did not give further details adding: "I am awaiting decisions from the European Central Bank that go in this direction."

Jean-Claude Trichet, president of the ECB, has said that the bank could cut rates in the coming week as long as there is evidence that inflation pressures have eased.

The European Union has called for a 200bn euro boost across Europe to help stimulate an economic recovery.
Why am I not suprised?

o ffs! what do you think tony and gordons whole end game was all along?

gordon has DELIBERATELY wrecked the economy so we 'have no choice' but to join the euro for 'economic stability'.

it was obvious when he sold off the gold reserves that he was on a path to make the UK economically unviable.

all in the pursuit of a greater reich, sorry, i mean euro community.

Mr. Barroso said:
"I know that the majority in Britain are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration under way and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it",
How very, very odd.

I have always thought that in a democracy the will of the majority of the people was what mattered. It appears that in the EU it is an elite few "people who matter" whose opinions count. Every day I learn something new about government in a democracy.

Tazzers said:
UK 'closer' to adopting the euro

Mr Barroso acknowledged "the majority" of British people continued to oppose joining the eurozone.

"and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it", he said.
The people who matter in Britain are in the end the people who vote scrotes like Brown and company into power. ................. well I doubt they will do that again, and the people who matter will have had their their say.

It is WE the people who ultimately matter, unfortunately there is a cadre of "professional" politicians who have never done a stroke of work in their lives who have forgotten that ................. they need reminding!!!!

Edited to add ...... I use the term "professional" in its very loosest form and hope that the reader will understand that use of the term in this context in no way implies competence or status. I apologise profusely to all those who are trully professional in what they do for associating them with such low life.

Thread opening title changed. It would be good if people actually read the opening post through before reaching for the rant paint pot.

Still, wonder how much the Euro went up by on market opening?

I always thought it would be better for Britain to revert to the Commonwealth, but one can't turn back the clock...

Under the present circumstances EU is probably the best variant. Unfortunately, it is governed by unelected bureaucrats-politicians who failed in their own countries. On the other hand, are we better off under our elected failures?

DavidBOC said:
Mr. Barroso said:
"I know that the majority in Britain are still opposed, but there is a period of consideration under way and the people who matter in Britain are currently thinking about it",
How very, very odd.

I have always thought that in a democracy the will of the majority of the people was what mattered. It appears that in the EU it is an elite few "people who matter" whose opinions count. Every day I learn something new about government in a democracy.
So if I interpret this correctly, as far as our Euro chums are concerned we may not want it but we don't know what's good for us and our leaders or "the people who matter" have decided anyway. Now this is isn't exactly new we've always known that this shower will sell us down the river but I never seen it expressed so openly before. I agree with you DavidBOC, I always thought we, the voters mattered. :x

I should imagine that, were the UK to remain in the EU that eventually we will adopt the Euro. A single trading currency makes as much sense as no borders in a free trade zone. If we do adopt the Euro it will show immediately just how high the cost of living is in the UK compared to other European Countries. MEPs are elected officials and commissars are appointed by our elected officials in Parliament. The jobs are usually given to those who have shown exceptional service to their country and who have shown themselves to be accomplished and respected politicians and also to Peter Mandelson.
As long as the position of HMQ remains sacrosanct and we remain a democratic monarchy I have no real problems with having the Euro as our currency, after all it is a decimal system the same as ours.

Countrylad said:
DavidBOC said:
Mr. Barroso said:
How very, very odd.

So if I interpret this correctly, as far as our Euro chums are concerned we may not want it but we don't know what's good for us and our leaders or "the people who matter" have decided anyway. Now this is isn't exactly new we've always known that this shower will sell us down the river but I never seen it expressed so openly before. I agree with you DavidBOC, I always thought we, the voters mattered. :x
I believe this is down to a mistranslation. In the link below it says that "although the mayority of britain doesn't want to join the euro, that could change over a period of time".

I might be wrong though..linky

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
TOLD YOU SO!

Said this about 2 weeks ago in another thread about the credit crunch/currency values - ie: Cyclops would probably use it as an excuse to join the Euro, citing the stability of that currency and the crunch effect on ours..

I think that was the pact with Mandy - he comes back to help Gordy, but we go into the Euro as a 'thank you' . Whats the bets he cancels the referendum we've been promised as we'd get the 'wrong result'.

I'll bet 3 guineas, two shillings and a farthing we will be spending Euros in the UK within the next couple of years.

The public get what the public want, as long as the chavs keep him in power then the further we will be shafted! I can not beleive people actuately think liabor are doing a decent job!
IMO we are better with the pound, if we were already part of the euro, I think we would have single handidly reduced its stock!
when is the next election, will he take it to the wire, if they get voted back 9in then I am emigrating, first the euro then its the european army led by the french, the futures bright the futures an election!

DavidBOC said:
Mr. Barroso said:
How very, very odd.

You been to the Britain lately?

Markintime said:
I should imagine that, were the UK to remain in the EU that eventually we will adopt the Euro. A single trading currency makes as much sense as no borders in a free trade zone. If we do adopt the Euro it will show immediately just how high the cost of living is in the UK compared to other European Countries. MEPs are elected officials and commissars are appointed by our elected officials in Parliament. The jobs are usually given to those who have shown exceptional service to their country and who have shown themselves to be accomplished and respected politicians and also to Peter Mandelson.
As long as the position of HMQ remains sacrosanct and we remain a democratic monarchy I have no real problems with having the Euro as our currency, after all it is a decimal system the same as ours.
Mate, couple of points (call me a pedant) we are not a democratic monarchy we have a constitutional monarch but we do not elect them - much to the consternation of Zanu Liabour and the limp dems. And more importantly, do you honestly think things will be cheaper in the UK when Gorgon tries to railroad us down a road that the majority don't want? Britain isn't in a mess because of the credit crunch. Britain is fecked because of 11 years of mismanagement and spending like a chav with a stolen credit card. VAT is about to bite the country very firmly on the arrse and with nearly a year to sharpen it's teeth it's going to hurt! Labour want the euro and the eurozone and all the trappings that go with it (like Brussells and Maastricht) the problem is, we don't and that is where this story will end. They can't afford to foist this one us because they know an election is looming, where at very best (for Gorgon) we will end up in a hung parliament. If Gorgon and the gang want a place at that table then they can't afford to risk alienating the voting public any further. Until then it's just more of the same -Spend and tax, spend and tax-boom and bust the emphasis for the tax payer is squarely sat at 'tax and bust' and the situation is no better in the euro zone!

I think this is just Barosso shooting his mouth off again. It is something he's known to do. Even the most stupid Government politician realises that a decision like this without referendum would be political suicide and I don't see it happening any day soon.

I would not be so sure that it will not happen, Could be the ultimate betrayal before the general election with possible promises of jobs for the boys in the unaccountable, unelected gravy train that is the domain of the likes of the Mandlesons and Kinnocks of this world called the European commission.

BPS666 said:
Markintime said:
Mate, couple of points (call me a pedant) we are not a democratic monarchy we have a constitutional monarch but we do not elect them - much to the consternation of Zanu Liabour and the limp dems. And more importantly, do you honestly think things will be cheaper in the UK when Gorgon tries to railroad us down a road that the majority don't want? Britain isn't in a mess because of the credit crunch. Britain is fecked because of 11 years of mismanagement and spending like a chav with a stolen credit card. VAT is about to bite the country very firmly on the arrse and with nearly a year to sharpen it's teeth it's going to hurt! Labour want the euro and the eurozone and all the trappings that go with it (like Brussells and Maastricht) the problem is, we don't and that is where this story will end. They can't afford to foist this one us because they know an election is looming, where at very best (for Gorgon) we will end up in a hung parliament. If Gorgon and the gang want a place at that table then they can't afford to risk alienating the voting public any further. Until then it's just more of the same -Spend and tax, spend and tax-boom and bust the emphasis for the tax payer is squarely sat at 'tax and bust' and the situation is no better in the euro zone!
My apologies I meant to say 'we remain a monarchy' I don't know where I got democracy from, hasn't been one of those round here for years. If you read my post you will see that I pointed out that joining the Euro would show how high our cost of living is, I certainly don't think joining the Euro will lower it.
A brief question (and I don't know the answer to it) do we pay our dues to the EC in Sterling or in Euros? Because if we are assessed as having to pay so many Euros then we are losing out big style on the exchange rate.
I also sincerely and unreservedly apologise if anything I have posted led you to the conclusion that I have any time for Zanu NL and all it stands for. I agree wholeheartedly with almost everything you have said.

Can't see what the big problem is with adopting the Euro. We pay Billions into the Euro coffers every year, we import Billions of Euro's worth of produce every year, a huge proportion of the country holidays within the eurozone every year and everything that we do is governened by some cnut in brussels anyway. I don't smoke, but if I wanted to, I can't even go to the pub to practise as some foreign fecker says that I can't

What would be a tragedy is entering when the GBP is fecking worthless when we could have done it years ago.

Their are only two other options. Cahoots with the USA and adopt the Green Back, or to become some sort of Island fortress with a banking centre that is the envy of the world, spend billions on creating a manufacturing base and to cut taxes to all citizens to encourage people to remain in the country. So as half the population has been 'Monged' by 11 years of Labour rule, the latter is totaly out of the question anyway as no cnut could be arrsed as they get to much on benefits, and those with trades can never be arrsed to turn up to do work unless every day and every job is a lottery payout.

Britain has past the point of shitedom and there is no recovery possible. So stop delaying the inevitable and just take on the euro.

Latest Threads