Barristers £91 an hour under threat

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Sparky2339, Sep 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Barristers are getting grumpy according to the newspapers, because their minimum £91 an hour is under threat!!

WTF??? What planet are they on? Has the Swiss collider altered their universe?? Have they ever been on the same planet we are?? :x
  2. Only GBP91 per hour. That is amazing. In the states the only litigation attorneys who would accept so little per hour would be very new attorneys from small firms or new solo practice lawyers. At large US firms a kid just out of school working at a big firm would bill out at more. I know the course of study is shorter in the UK but that should not make that much of a difference.

Why so little, does the government set rates there?
  3. Feck me David, don't encourage the the bastards. I'm in the middle of a

little contretemps from which I will consider myself lucky if I escape with a

shirt on my back.
  4. Poor things only £91 an hour and those greedy nurses and young soldiers earn so much more!

Still i have some tissues for the precious little dears to have a weep into...
    Oh good NAAFI well then here are a few encouraging words to get you trough the hardship of scraping by on such a paltry sum.

Wannk off you whining Cnuts and get a real job, you tossers.
    xxx love HJ
  5. Anyone worked out the hourly rate for being an MP?!
  6. Simplify the law so that it's more easily understandable. That should ease the burden, enabling the poor dears to make up their taking on more cases. After all, the rest of us have to do it.

Of course, making legal matters more easily understandable to all could just result in more people doing their own legal work and driving the legal paras... er, practitioners out of business. For some strange reason I can't spot the downside.
  7. I think you'll find that 91GBP is the court time - 5-6 hrs per day.
    At least 30% tax out of that.
    Most junior barristers travel, often to the other end of the country, for much needed cases so deduct hotel, food, travelling and any expenses connected with not being at home.
    Most junior barristers have overdrafts the size of a small mortgage, so deduct more.

The fee would probably not include court preparation time, so add 3 hours before court and 2 after and we have the figure halved.
    This is assuming that the junior barrister is in constant work and this is often not the case, so assume two weeks working, two weeks off.

Not quite so tempting, is it?

Sorry, this is the NAAFI, sponging cnuts!
  8. Well said Howler. But hey, let's get LBdr F*ckwit down the MT for the 'bus' keys, just in case. How dare anyone earn more than a squaddie eh?
  9. :D

Hey, £91 per hour, and you get to dress up. I can only think of a few other professions that have that much fun for a decent wage.

We can't all work for Max Mosley ya know!

-should be a rule here - the bus cannot be started in The Naffi. :)
  10. My lad writes complex money market IT programmes. This draws in £1,000 for an 8 hour day.
    He now understands why I kicked his arse to and from school when he was a lad. I even banned him from wanking.
  11. We pay commercial solicitors at a charge-out rate of up to £500 per hour. The individuals don't trouser all of that - at a guess around £100-£150 per hour, depending on what you call a working day for a city solicitor.

I certainly woudn't want someone defending me (or prosecuting a case where I was the victim) who couldn't get a real job so relied on court work.
  12. Well £91 an hour is less than some garages charge for not working on your car, so when you consider that has to cover all the poor chap/chappesses costs like office and secretarial, travel and accountancy expenses it is surprising they can live on as little as that.
  13. Let's start again.

Somebody said it, I think it was Old Will himself.

"First, lets kill all the lawyers."

Sounds good to me.
  14. It's a bit of a risky business to get into, the start up costs and overheads mean most are taking a lower wage and putting the rest into the business. New Barristers have to start out with low wages, work a lot of hours and work their way up, hoping to get a partnership or into a line of work where there is money within the area (conveyancing, criminal, business, etc).

They do seem to get a load of bad press, but if someone was to start up a coffee shop or a pizza shop and make similar money per hour nobody would bat an eyelid.
  15. Would they be whining about it, :roll: holy moly who does not start at the bottom and learn the hard way of working your way up. And bad press perhaps if they are that smart they would have done the numbers before embarking on Law.