barret 50 cal sniper rifle

I want to see this puppy in action.

Attachments

Here is it`s ammo next to a standard NATO 7.62,
Wouldn`t like to be in front of that.

Attachments

In the 1990s the IRA acquired a number of highly accurate Barrett Light 50 sniping rifles and began using them against British soldiers in the border area of south Armagh. The last British solider to die in Northern Ireland prior to the current IRA ceasefire, Stephen Restorick, died after being shot with one of these weapons in 1997

EOD don't use them anyomore now on AW50 even better. The Barret round will probably kill you , if it passes close by. Interesting clip of the old Barret or at least Canadian version, in action on an e-mail I recieved recently, if it will upload and doesn't break any site rules I will post

scarletto said:
In the 1990s the IRA acquired a number of highly accurate Barrett Light 50 sniping rifles and began using them against British soldiers in the border area of south Armagh. The last British solider to die in Northern Ireland prior to the current IRA ceasefire, Stephen Restorick, died after being shot with one of these weapons in 1997
I think it was seriously suspected, but never proven, that at least one of the PIRA Barrett users in NI was an ex-USMC marine operating on a bounty payment. There is no doubt whatsoever, from a reconstruction of the angles and the range, that whoever fired the shot that killed Restorick was a very skilled long-range sniper.

Barretts seem to sell quite well to US civilians, some of whom (as it was once put to me) like to "get some real-estate into the air" when they go shooting. The bullet is very big - 900 grains compared to 155 gr. for the 7.62mm and c.55 gr. for the 5.56mm.

Interestingly, the .50BMG cartridge - which is almost 90 years old now - was originally designed as a scaled-up version of the .30-'06 Springfield US infantry rifle cartridge. It has been extraordinarily successful, but mostly as an anti-materiel, "wrecking" round, rather than for anti-personnel use - although the world record for a confirmed long sniper shot (1.51 miles) was established in Afghanistan during Operation Anaconda in 2002 by Canadian Cpl. Rob Furlong firing a .50BMG sniper rifle. Slotted a Teleban fighter with his third shot. The story is online at :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Furlong

Barrett also make rifles for the .416 Rigby, the .338 Lapua and the 7.62x51NATO (and others, on request) and their website is at :

www.barrettrifles.com

ex-USMC marine operating on a bounty payment
That was a rumour, but as you say, never substantiated.

I can't comment on Restorick's death, it happened a couple of months after my last tour, but I believe I am right in saying that the skill of the sniper in South Armagh was more myth than truth. Pretty much all the shoots with the 50cal were at ranges of less than 300m - given that I can hit a target with an SA-80 at that range with a 4x sight, a Barrett would be pretty easy.

Don't forget their method - firing from along a road from a converted car. With the roads in the ARB you would never get a clear line of sight for more than a couple of hundred metres.

batus_survivor said:
ex-USMC marine operating on a bounty payment
That was a rumour, but as you say, never substantiated.

I can't comment on Restorick's death, it happened a couple of months after my last tour, but I believe I am right in saying that the skill of the sniper in South Armagh was more myth than truth. Pretty much all the shoots with the 50cal were at ranges of less than 300m - given that I can hit a target with an SA-80 at that range with a 4x sight, a Barrett would be pretty easy.

Don't forget their method - firing from along a road from a converted car. With the roads in the ARB you would never get a clear line of sight for more than a couple of hundred metres.
As it was told by one of the investigators (and if I remember correctly) the suspected firing-point was not in a vehicle but out in the open, slightly uphill, and about 600-700 metres from where Restorick was hit. But I also seem to remember there was some uncertainty over exactly where the f.p. was. But the consensus seemed to be that it was an above-average shot, and the work of someone who (alas) knew his business.

Unless PIRA had one or two skilled Barrett operators to use them, I don't think those big, heavy, clumsy rifles and the very bulky/heavy ammo would have been of much use to them - except for their erosive effect on army/RUC morale (and a corresponding but opposite effect on sympathisers' morale), thanks to the fabled power of the .50BMG round.

I seem to recall seeing a Barrett in one of the photos of PIRA "decommissioned" arms that was released by the de Chastelaine commission.