Barrel Length & Walked Up grouse

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by rabid spaniel, Mar 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, so I have a very nice Beretta Perennia SV10 with 30 inch barrels and a trusty old Miroku (not even sure what type, but field like) with 28. Not only as an excuse to buy a new gun, but admittedly partly, I am thinking of getting a Winchester light weight thing with 26 inch tubes.

Question is: whilst it will obviously be lighter to carry on the long slog of the grouse day, what difference does it make? I'm not sure I understand the difference the shorter barrels make to the shooting bit. Faster into the aim, yes; swing? (never really got this....), target effect? Or, actually no bloody difference just use what I've got.

Advice welcomed (other than that buying another gun is essentially good sense - I know that!)

2. That.

If you've got spare cash, then spend it on shooting lessons. Or a nice prossie for after the shoot dinner.
  3. Fair enough. Can't stroke the shooting lessons though........ (I won't comment on the tart, less to say I can't continue stroking her after the dinner)
  4. The 26 Inch barrels will be quicker into the aim but at the expense of a less smooth swing. The lightness of any SbS would be benficial on any walked up day compared to the general bulk of OUs unless you decide to go for something like a 20 or 16 bore.

Either way provided you put the lead in the right place it makes cock all difference. If there is space in the cabinet buy a gun, if not, mistress that can comment on the size of you "Cock" bird after a good days shooting may be a sound investment!
  5. You must also remember that any gain from a 'better' barrel length or whatever, will almost certainly be wiped out and indeed reversed, by your unfamiliarity with the gun.
  6. If you haven't shot grouse before, you'll find that they are like partridge with afterburners. So if you won't take a lesson at least get to a shooting ground and practice. See which gun works best on the low fast clays. That way you won't spoil the day by making a complete ass of yourself.

7. I have shot quite a lot of them (not as many as I've shot at mind). I always seem to shoot better on the walk than the stand: the snap shooting works well, the (relatively) long time in the butts considering the incoming exocet doesn't work as well. The 30" barrels weigh a lot and make me sweat over the course of a long day's tab, I was just considering being churchillian and dropping to a light weight 26". Still very undecided - although getting some coaching before the season does seem like common sense (so probably won't happen....)

8. Seems to me that you've answered your own question. I remember a old keeper friend of mine, who got the nod to shoot for his boss now and again. He said that he found a side by side 12 with barrels a whisker over 24 inches to be excellent medecine for grouse, as the short barrels aquired the birds faster. Lighter too, which helps when you are skipping through the heather.

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'd avoid anything with barrels under 27", you'll have trouble selling it if you ever decide to.

If my sales figures are anything to go by (which I can assure you they are) I haven't sold or built a shotgun with anything under 27" barrels for over 6 years.

If you buy it you better like it, because you'll be stuck with it.
  10. Interesting perspective. I am intrigued: I was looking at the Winchester Select Light Gold which seems to be keenly offered in 26" -would you say that this is aimed more at the US market than ours? I must admit I haven't seen too many 26" on the used market, but I haven't been looking too hard.

I may just take my trusty old Miroku in to be properly loved/ serviced and fall back on it's 28".

Out of interest: you make guns? link? pictures of the beauties? You never know when R_S may decide to treat himself........
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Indeed it will be popular with gubers in hi vis vests and camo baseball caps. Having said that, a fair chunk of our sales (around 40%) go to the US and like I said before 26" barrels aren't that common.

Probably a good bet.

I'm pretty gash with my persec and a rudimentary browse of my posts will bring up the answer.

If you can't be arsed, check your PMs I'll send you a link. ;)
  12. I'd loose the heavy gun rapid.
    Get yourself a lightweight gun you can shoot with confidence. Those walked-up days can be knackering.
    My most EFFECTIVE walked up days have been with a cheap and nasty second hand Silver Pigeon with 27 1/2 inch tubes choked full and half. I tried a season with a Webley 700 20 bore, and missed everything in sight. My most ENJOYABLE days are with my 1936 Purdey with 28 inch tubes. Gives me wood swinging that gun.
  13. It'll be easier to handle in scrub, it may be lighter, you may stop using your other guns and you'll be a little less likely to plug a barrel with earth by accident and blow a hand off.

Weight if wanted can be built into the gun and that's more of a factor than length in handling, I've never seen the point in anything heavier than 7lbs but then I never use heavy loads. There's no reason for barrels much over two foot long on a rough shooting shotgun really, long barrels are just tradition from black powder times, shooters are very conservative people, as someone pointed out above forget about resale.