Barracks in Bedford

Wasnt sure whether to try here or the "Old Farts" group, but thought in the end that I would get a much more measured, intelligent response here.
I am documenting my old mans service history, and have had a bit of a blank moment when trying to remember the name of the barracks he was in in Bedford in the late 60's. He was in the RCT and I recall that the unit was CVHQ, or similar, can anyone shed a glimmer of light please.
The only barracks I can find on tinternet seems to be Kempston which appears to have closed in the 50's.

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
I grew up in and around Bedford, and went to school there - only barracks I remember was in Kempston, but that was an active TA unit, think signals but not sure.

I was up at The Keep in Kempston last November, for the Beds & Herts Regt annual Remembrance parade. The Keep is now the HQ of the left-handed brickies although the bars are still festooned with Regimental paraphernalia. We went for Tea and a wad afterwards with the ORs at the TA centre next door. RLC(RCT) det I believe - they certainly had lots of DROPS in the car park.

Edited for post-alcoholic hindsight: I think there was a REME LAD there too.

Only know of Kempston. There is an old empty barracks near Shortstown. Cardington it's called, but I think it was RAF.

Last_Four said:
Only know of Kempston. There is an old empty barracks near Shortstown. Cardington it's called, but I think it was RAF.
I think these might be a bit of a giveaway:

Attachments

Yup, they are. They've used them for quite a lot of filming in recent years.

BBear said:
I grew up in and around Bedford, and went to school there - only barracks I remember was in Kempston, but that was an active TA unit, think signals but not sure.
Which school? I grew up in Bedford.

Did'nt realise until I Googled it but No 2 shed is a recycled jobby from what was Pulham Aerodrome in Norfolk: it was that shed which housed the R100.

Every day a school day.......................

jew_unit said:
BBear said:
Which school? I grew up near Bedford?

There was a WW2 vintage hutted camp called Grange Camp. It was about half a mile west of Kempston Barracks where the Hillgrounds residential estate has since been built.

I believe that after the war it became the CVHQ for RASC/RCT. I don't know for sure, but I think that it was not redeveloped until the 70s.

This could well be the place you're looking for.

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
jew_unit said:
Forks said:
jew_unit said:
BBear said:
Which school? I grew up near Bedford?
Bedford School. You?
Another old bedfordian!