Barracks in Bedford

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jcm649, Apr 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wasnt sure whether to try here or the "Old Farts" group, but thought in the end that I would get a much more measured, intelligent response here.
    I am documenting my old mans service history, and have had a bit of a blank moment when trying to remember the name of the barracks he was in in Bedford in the late 60's. He was in the RCT and I recall that the unit was CVHQ, or similar, can anyone shed a glimmer of light please.
    The only barracks I can find on tinternet seems to be Kempston which appears to have closed in the 50's.
  2. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I grew up in and around Bedford, and went to school there - only barracks I remember was in Kempston, but that was an active TA unit, think signals but not sure.
  3. I was up at The Keep in Kempston last November, for the Beds & Herts Regt annual Remembrance parade. The Keep is now the HQ of the left-handed brickies although the bars are still festooned with Regimental paraphernalia. We went for Tea and a wad afterwards with the ORs at the TA centre next door. RLC(RCT) det I believe - they certainly had lots of DROPS in the car park.

Edited for post-alcoholic hindsight: I think there was a REME LAD there too.
  4. Only know of Kempston. There is an old empty barracks near Shortstown. Cardington it's called, but I think it was RAF.
  5. I think these might be a bit of a giveaway:

Attached Files:

6. Well...there is did I miss them :D
  7. Are those the Cardington airship sheds?
  8. Yup, they are. They've used them for quite a lot of filming in recent years.
  9. Which school? I grew up in Bedford.
  10. Did'nt realise until I Googled it but No 2 shed is a recycled jobby from what was Pulham Aerodrome in Norfolk: it was that shed which housed the R100.

Every day a school day.......................
  11. So did I, for my sins!
  12. Which school? I grew up near Bedford?
  13. Bedford School. You?
  14. Ah right, Redborne myself.