Barrack Dress Rain Mac

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by police5009, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hoping someone can help me.

Looking for information on the green ceremonial rain mac used by the guards. It's almost a rubbery texture rather than plastic.

Hoping to get an NSN or if someone could point me in the right direction on where to obtain one.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. I know of greatcoats, and capes for the bands. Any pictures to what it actually is?

3. You come on ARRSE looking for an NSN for a rubber mac? You mad fool. Just off to get some popcorn.

4. It's just a cleverly-tailored 58 pattern poncho.

5. They are an issued item. I got mine as a recruit in 1989 and handed it in on de-kit in 2011 - wore it once!

It was a sort of olive green rubberised waterproof synthetic thing.

Berlin

6. That's the one.
    Unfortunately I can't find a photo of said item.

Spoke to guardsgear but they can't get one. Any ideas will be greatfull

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sounds like a replacement for the Khaki flasher mac withdrawn or ceased issue in 1981, oddly enough never worn when in Bn!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

May I ask what you'll use it for ?

Is it for when you're on the job or do you have another, more private use in mind...?

Speaking of which, how well do you know Chief Inspector Allison Strachan ?
    Socially. Or perhaps, personally ?

9. Phone school of Ceremonial... all the instructors have them.

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Is that Dogging Central ?

11. One I was issued in 76 was a sort of mushroom grey colour. Only wore it once in training and handed it in 24 years later creased to buggery after it had been stuffed in the bottom of a kitbag full of shit I never used

12. Worth an absolute fortune on fleabay, or so I've been told.

13. Probably because they are easy to wipe clean...

• Like Like x 1
  14. I remember those nearly pink mac's we got issued with in the 70's, I think they were a throwback to the 50's, no one wore them thats why the were re-issued time after time. I tell a lie I wore it once when I had to go to the NAAFI shop and it pissed down, I got just as wet as if I hadnt worn it! another piece of useless old kit to carry from posting to posting!

15. I'm sorry to say that there isn't a rain mac on issue for Barrack Dress. That stiff rubberised green "thing" worn by the Foot Guards is no longer an issued item but the Foot Guards still have a stack of them but they can't be replaced. The Army looked to introduce a mac for wear with No 2 Dress and Barrack Dress but needless to say there wasn't any money left out of the FAD (Future Army Dress) budget so now if you're in No 2 Dress or Barracks Dress and its pi**ing with rain, you just get wet. You could wear the old CS95 gortex or the new PCS version when it comes in but only suitable for wear with Barrack Dress.