Baroness Tonge: The pro-Israeli lobby controlls the West

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Absolutely

2. Partially

3. Not sure

4. Rather disagree

5. She is absolutely wrong

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Silly bint.

Meets a nice palestinian at a dinner party and hates the Israelis forever.

There's a lot wrong with Israeli attitudes to the Palestinians but there's equally a lot wrong with the Palestinian attitude to Israel.

People like her are part of the problem not part of the solution.
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Mind you I found while researching on that magazine 'The Liberal' that pushed the whole recent debacle i.e. the petition, some somewhat curious connections to say the least, especially in light of the Lib Dems line of the Palestinian issue, specifically Tonge's stance and those who may not be so vocal. I think that a more pro Israeli Lib Dem party was planned/is desired...who knows maybe there will even be (or has already been) a 'Menzies Campbell declaration' when he's the FS in a coalition with the Conservative party :twisted:
  4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually just did some research on 'The Liberal'. It used to be sub-edited by Natalie Rothschild, but she has since moved on to Spike online which is edited by Mick Hume of LM fame. It is still edited by Ben Ramm, who is by all accounts a lovely fellow... :twisted:

But it does remind me that I need to take a trip to the British Library, there's a front page of LM from the 80's with me on the front page..LOL...I remember thinking 'oh...up go the flags' :twisted: Its a must have for my blog :wink:
  5. I don't understand in what sense her Ladyship could be a part of the problem. She is maybe a problem for the lobby (though insignificant). Btw, lady Jenny is too far from the truth. The lobby exists of course and well known British politicians (including frequently mentioned here) are under its influence (or even a part of the lobby) but her statement is apparently an exaggeration.
  6. Sergy ya being a naught boy again.
    Mind you I think she is right.
  7. I've met and worked with her before, very nice lady. Mind you, she did get bounced off the front bench the last time she criticised Israel. Which might possibly account for her feeling that the Liberal Party is also being influenced?
  8. If one were to substitute the word 'Jewish' for 'Israeli' in Baroness Tonge's quoted piece, it wouldn't be too much of a leap of the imagination to think that one were overhearing some Diana Mosley-type at a 1930s cocktail party or dinner, drawling about 'those dreadful Jews'.
  9. Sergei - the Israeli/Palestinian problem needs sorting out and people like Tonge who can only see one side are no help whatsoever.

We should be exploring all avenues of getting a fair and reasonable settlement in that area not blaming the Jewish/Capitalist puppeteers or the mad mullahs.
  10. Tonge has been coming out with crass statements like this for the last umpteen years. As a Lib Dem I would be totally in favour of having her kicked out of the party
  11. Mushroom!

The baroness hasn't mentioned Israeli/Palestinian conflict at all and I don't understand how her remark can be regarded as an obstacle to resolution of ME conflict.

What is right and what is wrong in the statement.

Right: the lobby exists, it's active (but it's so obvious).
    Wrong: the lobby is not so powerfull as her ladyship suggests.

Summing it up the Lady is rather wrong, her main point is wrong.
  12. There was me naively supposing that the pro-democracy lobby controls the West.