• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Baroness Scotland employs illegal immigrant

Guido smells somthing rotten.......

Baroness Scotland was appointed by Gordon Brown to be government’s chief legal adviser. Prior to becoming Attorney General she worked as a minister in the Home Office, cracking down on illegal migrants and imposing tougher penalties on business and individuals who employ them was passed.

The Daily Mail has Baroness Scotland bang-to-rights, yet she says she did not knowingly employ the Tongan illegal immigrant, Loloahi Tapui, and her spokesman says the Attorney General “saw documents which led her to believe that Ms Tapui was entitled to work in this country” when she hired her. There is only one statutory defence against conviction for employing an illegal worker under section 8 of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 – the act specifies that you get this defence only by checking and copying certain original documents belonging to your employee.

The Home Office guidance on this is clear – you will only be able to establish the defence by checking and copying specified documents, including the passport and “any page containing UK Government endorsements indicating that the holder has an entitlement to be in the UK and is entitled to undertake the work in question.”
Baroness Scotland Has No Defence

Baroness Scotland : Show Or We Tell

Attorney General’s Office : No Comment on Documentation Question

Perhaps we are seeing yet again how there is one rule for them and another for us?

Guido says...

It is a fundamental rule of politics that law makers can not be law breakers – particularly when they are the highest law officer in the land. The letter asks the Attorney General to show publicly the legally required documentation or face being reported to the UK Border Agency later today…
Who will hold our executive to account?

So, that's the sum total of your post? A couple of cut n paste jobs with a generic question? Thanks for that but whats your opinion? If you want informed debate you should make an effort to create interest at least.

MWA

nark

Old-Salt
WTF? Baroness Scotland - what a joke - this woman, an immigrant herself, and has about as much in common with Scotland as the leader of Plaid Cymru.

mediumwhiteamericano said:
So, that's the sum total of your post? A couple of cut n paste jobs with a generic question? Thanks for that but whats your opinion? If you want informed debate you should make an effort to create interest at least.

MWA
Many apologies but I would of thought posting three up to date links to an ongoing story would of been enough to allow the adverage person to get a decent grip on the situation.

That coupled with my question on who is holding the executive to account should left the casual reader in no doubt what my concerns are in the matter.

Or perhaps you are of the ilk that requires everything spelt out to you in big bright letters?

Judging from your post,a petty little winge,I would imagine this to be the case.

Apologies for posting the story again.

Whether it's been posted before or not, I have comment. WTF does she (and her like) get away with breaking and bending rules which are put in place for the compliance of all in this country? Do they honestly think it doesn't apply to them? Fine her the maximum of £10K. Will that happen? You can bet your bottom cent, it won't.

And that story about the snooty bitch on the plane thinking that it's the job of others to dress her children in nappies. Then getting fondled. Sorry, maybe not whole story here but - - - these clowns think because they have money, they can get away with anything. Makes my red stuff reach 100'C quickly!

Knowingly employing an illegal is punishable by a two-year prison sentence and an unlimited fine and lesser offence can land you with a £10k fine and loads of small businesses have been mightily stuffed as a result?
But as Blogg mentioned and Alsacien pointed out in the other thread, 'Knowingly' is the key word here.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The BBC said:
Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act, employers who knowingly take on an illegal worker face a two-year prison sentence and an unlimited fine. Those who unknowingly take on illegal workers face a maximum £10,000 fine.

Sixty said:
The BBC said:
Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act, employers who knowingly take on an illegal worker face a two-year prison sentence and an unlimited fine. Those who unknowingly take on illegal workers face a maximum £10,000 fine.
Thanks for that Sixty.

Norfolknchance said:
Whether it's been posted before or not, I have comment. WTF does she (and her like) get away with breaking and bending rules which are put in place for the compliance of all in this country? Do they honestly think it doesn't apply to them? Fine her the maximum of £10K. Will that happen? You can bet your bottom cent, it won't.

And that story about the snooty bitch on the plane thinking that it's the job of others to dress her children in nappies. Then getting fondled. Sorry, maybe not whole story here but - - - these clowns think because they have money, they can get away with anything. Makes my red stuff reach 100'C quickly!
And how many times have we seen this before?

The expenses scandal has led to how many prosecutions for fraud?

The real horror of this story is that this woman is responsible for the laws regarding the employment of illegals.I bet her team is frantically trying to get hold of the documents that the Baroness has said she saw.

Currently I see her position as precarious,if she cannot produce the said documents then her position will become untenable and she must step down and face the consequences of breaking her own law.

Even if she does produce the documents....how can a woman in her position pretend to have an ounce of credibility?

insert-coin-here said:

MWA
Many apologies but I would of thought posting three up to date links to an ongoing story would of been enough to allow the adverage person to get a decent grip on the situation.

That coupled with my question on who is holding the executive to account should left the casual reader in no doubt what my concerns are in the matter.

Or perhaps you are of the ilk that requires everything spelt out to you in big bright letters?

Judging from your post,a petty little winge,I would imagine this to be the case.

Apologies for posting the story again.
No mate, I just expect an opinion from the original poster rather than using others. I refer you to my original post. Lets not get personal now shall we?

No mate, I just expect an opinion from the original poster rather than using others. I refer you to my original post. Lets not get personal now shall we?
Then perhaps next time you should try and be a little less aggressively critical of others posts while offering nothing by way of opinion yourself?

And as I said my question should of been enough to gauge exactly where I am coming from,im not a big fan of sprawling posts that take a age to reach the crux of a matter.

Back to the matter at hand the wording of law makes interesting reading.At best she 'unknowingly' employed an illegal (unless she really is an utter lunatic).

Without the documents referencing the housemaids legal status then she certainly 'knowingly' failed to comply by the standard that she has personally laid out for the rest of us.

As I see things she is either guilty of failure to comply with the law or she is too incompetent to hold the high office that she does.

Either way she has to go.

Edit to add.

She has now been reported to the UKBA.Link to the letter here.

Laws, ou and me = hard and fast, full weight of due process etc.

ZANU-Labour...well, no harm done, let's try harder next time, toodle-oo - see you in Annie's bar for a few binge drinks and a cigar!

Sixty said:
The BBC said:
Well, that's convenient, isn't it? When questioned by the police, how people now are going to admit that they knew their worker was illegal? Only a complete muppet would admit he knowingly hired such a worker.

And Baroness Scotland, despite what some of you may think, is not a muppet. She's a cnut.

So it has been 'done before' - so what?

Embarrassing for the Attorney General without doubt and sad for the poor soul from Tonga. The 'house-keeper' should have come from Latvia or Romania or Bulgaria maybe. In which case no problem, but from a tiny island within the Commonwealth - oh! no! Smacks of imperialism and our soviet inspired, communist leaning, soon to be ejected, government, do not 'do' 'imperialism'.

I remember with respect and fondness Her Majesty Queen Salote - the Queen of Tonga - and the joy and happiness she brought to our Sovereign's Coronation, as she drove in an open carriage through London in pouring rain. Smiling and waving, she came somewhere near 'upstaging' our own gracious Queen - but not quite!

That said - the law is the law. What a stupid law that allows unimpeded access to and by the filth of eastern Europe and denies said access to Commonwealth subjects. Probably a stupid law from the ineffably STUPID European Soviet Union!

And her being a Dame of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George as well. Tsk tsk.

Now children, can you name a well known former Prime Minister and his wife who......no, that would only produce a run on tinfoil.

Latest Threads