Baron Castleshort Part 2

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by cpunk, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

OK, the old thread was getting too big, so let's crack-on here...

Normal rules apply: stay on topic and don't post when p1ssed.

2. CP

Good move.

FOR THE ATTENTION OF ANY NEWBIES;

If the delightful world of Baron Castleshort is new to you may I suggest that you do one or both of the following before making your first post;

1) Read the 200 pages of the “main” thread in the Stickies area

And/or

2) Read the ARRSEpedia article at –
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/The_Baron_of_Castleshort

3. And just in case any newbies to the thread get confused or find themselves swayed with all the "photographic evidence" of jumbo's claims to being awarded his bling as the real McCoy, watch these vids to see how it's really done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OtgHFaX6x0

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7699156.stm

And when you get to the last radio interview 17 NOV 08, where jumbo says, he'd never take a bullet for a client/principle just watch and read what real soldiers do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF1OhraIRg&feature=related

To recap briefly:

Jumbo's service number has appeared, 24550634. As with everything else about jumbo, it doesn't quite mesh with his claims to being badged in 1976 as a para, nor does it mesh with when he claims he left the TA.

Personal accounts have surfaced that jumbo participated in pay-as-you-jump parachute organizations that walt as real military jumpers. If you match up his claims to his OP timetable, you'll see they were running courses in the same areas at the same time.

Sandy_Boots in a paintakingly examination of all recorded MoD jumps could not find Shortt's name on any list.

Also have a read of Shortt's dubious claims at: http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/List_of_James_Shortt%27s_Dubious_Claims

If you are wondering where Shortt picked up his expert knowledge of Counter-terrorism read the few pages in his book, Special Air Squadron.

He wrote one chapter on it in a book published in 1981.

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Thanks, niner. That should keep any new folk up to date.

I'm surprised there are no items appearing in newspapers about this, with the number of Journos who lurk here. (Apart from Private Eye, of course).

Is it too difficult to do real research, rather than accepting publicity puffs described as news, or pontificating about Celebrity Oh Lord They're On Telly Dancing again?

This would make a great spread in any worthwhile news journal.

5. 200 pages is enough for me, plus what I and others have written about him over the years.

Private Eye and the Phoenix have him in their sights, my work here is done....

If anything REALLY exciting comes up, would one of you make a note to PM me? I have been at this guy for three years now, and if any more legal threats, press outings or threats of violence occur, I am interested, otherwise, best of luck to you all.

Beyond him coming up with a duff army number, I think the page94 moment on the old thread was the apogee of this excercise, the rest, no offence, is mainly wind, and covering old ground.

LI out.

6. As pointed out on the other Short(t) thread, the IBA also appear as an Affiliated Command of the Legion of Frontiersmen (click on Regiments tab).
    If one clicks on the News tab and scrolls down, one finds that they do their "Operations" (Eagle - Italy - Asia) under the auspices of INTERNATIONAL AIRBORNE OPERATIONS.

Upcoming Ops can be found HERE

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I downloaded the application form for LoF ... just out of curiousity. You appear to need referees. I find that a bit of a shame, as I was considering really joining [purely in the interest of research].

8. Gentlemen and ladies apologies for not furnishing anything further on the Army Record apart from the number - unfortunately work has kept me from contacting my source - thank many of you for the DOB i will pursue more info after the weekend - being slightly unsure of legal repercussions when i get the paper docs shall i publish here or just make available to the key individuals by PM ?

Mach

9. blue-sophist

On behalf of a new friend ...

10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It raises the interesting possibility that Shortt is, himself, the victim of a 'Walt-spiral' in which he has believed Ott's bullshit and subsequently amplified it. I read of a similar case in Birkett's 'Stolen Valor' in which two fake Vietnam vets were each backing up each others bogus stories in order to validate their own lies, in the mistaken belief that the other was genuine. Maybe Ott and Shortt had a similar relationship?

Edited to add: if both were fakes, to one degree or another, neither would necessarily possess the 'toolkit' to see through the other's mendacity. It sounds like the plot for a Radio 4 afternoon play!

11. And another little gem; the SNCO rank of "Major" was only created in 1972 in the French armed forces.

Considering Ott's bio, he is supposed to have left his BG job with de Gaulle when Pdt Pompidou came to power in 1969 since he would have had to resign from the army and to join the Gendarmerie to keep his job.

"When Pompidou succeeded De Gaulle as President 'Les Gorilles' were given the option of being absorbed by the Gendarmerie or leaving"

http://www.ibabodyguards.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

So, if he left the army in 1969, how could he hold a rank which was only created in 1972 ?

Reserve service maybe ? the problem is that, until 2009 when it will change,to access the rank of "Major", an "adjudant-chef" (WO1 in France) needs to take a difficult exam with only 5-6 man per speciality per year succeeding...only a select few were "chosen" (Major au choix" in french) because of outstanding services.

Maybe Ott was one of them....or maybe not.

12. blue-sophist

Oh, FFS, cpunk ... you're going soft on him! :lol:

Seriously, and realistically, I could easily be persuaded that the multiple-failure in early life that is Shortt could easily be sucked in to the world of "pseudo-credentials" and a false persona.

Thank God I'm a real Baron, and duly notarised by a real Notary Public. 8)

13. i recommend that next time the Arrse community outs such a major walt as Baron or Caubeen then we humour and them instead of outing them ASAP.

Imagine the fun we could have had if we'd invited The Baron down to do a guest lecture at a central london venue on his time in SF...if nothing else it would properly 'out' him, waste his time, and we could all go on the lash afterwards!

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I'm not suggesting he's a 'victim' in the sense that we should feel sorry for him, simply that he was probably also duped by Ott - whom he appears to have had some genuine admiration for. It's quite funny really. My point is that as both appear to have built their careers on largely fake CV's, neither would have the technical ability to spot the other as a fake. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.