Barnsley By-Election

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Glad_its_all_over, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, the incumbent Labour MP in Barnsley has sought the Stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds, probably because he is to be sentenced next week for a wonderfully sleazy expenses fraud offence, of which he has been found guilty.

The Labour candidate for the seat is Dan Jarvis. Super, wonderful, terrific - and here's something I didn't know, Dan Jarvis is a former Major in the Parachute Regiment, with lots of form, including as a Company Commander on Herrick.

I make no comment either way, other than to observe that I am mildly surprised, after the last thirteen years and three, no, four wars, that any former Regular Army man could bring himself to be associated with Labour.

2. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

3. Labour will of course win the election.

4. Probably parachute in another Sixth Form Geek whose never had a proper job, or one of Hattie Harperson's favourite Gels in the Labour Party.....

5. Its South Yorkshire FFS, They would vote for a blind deaf chimp if was wearing a red rossette.

6. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

it's a fact that ex forces folks make good trade union reps , with the diversity of bods in the mob of course they will join many of the parties even the BNP unfortunately.

I was very right wing when i came out of the RE's and used to take the Torygraph each day for about a year after demob, but I kept noticing that they were against the things that I personally thought that I would quite like in a modern society. So I joined labour for over 30 years voted LIB Dem at last election and surely wont do that again.
    Many of my good friends vote Tory and we still seem to get on ok.

7. Quite a few officers have left wing tendencies, it goes with the job, those who put the welfare of their troops first and foremost are prime candidates for left leaning politics.

Nothing wrong with it, by joining parliament they just seem to want to do it on a bigger scale, remember the Sandhurst motto is "Serve to Lead".

8. Mortars perchance?

9. That sums it up nicely.

10. Or the cynic in me says ..... he could be a chancer who sees the lie of the land and a certain [labour] victory and thinks my status as a former major in the Paras will give the party a certain cachet and no wonder they selected me. .... nice earner, I want some of that.
    [vis-a-vis that other major, the turd Joyce.]

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Except a lot of ex miners still claim the Army came dressed as coppers during t'strike
    Might back fire on him

12. Dan Jarvis - good bloke. I hope he does well even if I don't support his party. I suspect he will be a cracking MP.

pB

13. [my bold] I sincerely hope he will be. He will be in rare company tho'

14. And it pleases me that he wasn't the candidate backed by UNITE.

15. Having once worked in Barnsley I find it amazing that the knuckle dragging tykes qualify to vote at all.