Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barnard Castle to Appleby in Westmoreland drive, what to see?

Been nearly 15 years since I was last in Appleby, I wonder if they've forgiven me - I was the town traffic warden for 3 years! :D

And if you get as far as the M6 at Penrith, keep an eye out for the handsome Scouse motorway patrol chappy ;)
Frequently seen in its natural habitat, dozing( and farting no doubt) on the harden dale quarry slip rd just off jctn 39 on the top of shap.
if you see him pip your horn and wake the “ public servant” up.

I never sleep on duty, too many back stabbers only too happy to drop you in it, I get plenty of sleep off duty. Feel free to parp your horn at 39 though - I'm 41-45 this morning. :D

I’m not sure if its open at present but there is an extremely good lunch/ dinner to be had improbably at what was once the old goods office at culgaith station.
When they do taster menus folk Drive 3 hrs to eat there.
£15 gets you a £60 experience most days ( if they are open of course.!)

I’m not sure if its open at present but there is an extremely good lunch/ dinner to be had improbably at what was once the old goods office at culgaith station.
Edit on this, is currently closed ( called Mrs millers),but the catering side is now being run out of a place called four and twenty on king street penrith.
if it’s still as good as the old place , worth a look

Truxx

LE
They do their beef low and slow, overnight. The result is splendid. Not sure if they are open currently. Probably are.

ETA just read @Cloth bomber's update. Didn't know it had changed hands, so belay the above.

Couple of weeks time staying in a hotel with the oldies for the 60th Wedding Anniversary near Barnards Castle, with further lock downs etc looks like a days circular drive stopping at villages or places of interest, so over to the Arrsearati, what to see avoid or is just plain shite. They are in their 80s so up to High Cup Nick is not an option.
Sorry to be a pedant, no 'e' in Westmorland former County in North West England. With 'e' an American General in Vietnam.
CFB

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Couple of weeks time staying in a hotel with the oldies for the 60th Wedding Anniversary near Barnards Castle, with further lock downs etc looks like a days circular drive stopping at villages or places of interest, so over to the Arrsearati, what to see avoid or is just plain shite. They are in their 80s so up to High Cup Nick is not an option.
Philc - Apologies if I am dragging this on but I have just returned from a fantastic lunch at the Rose and Crown in Romaldkirk very near Barnard Castle. As always, food and service amazing, village nice and pretty and small enough for your group to potter about in.

I am surprising myself with my spelling here considering the amount of Malbec I managed there 30 mins ago!

philc

LE
Philc - Apologies if I am dragging this on but I have just returned from a fantastic lunch at the Rose and Crown in Romaldkirk very near Barnard Castle. As always, food and service amazing, village nice and pretty and small enough for your group to potter about in.

I am surprising myself with my spelling here considering the amount of Malbec I managed there 30 mins ago!

Arrgh you ******, we have canceled for obvious reasons and thats where we were going. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Next year all things being equal, parents both with health conditions felt it was a bit of a risk

Warcop Ranges are always good fun:

MOBAT.jpg

Well, they were last time I was there!

Sexton Blake

War Hero
Arrgh you ******, we have canceled for obvious reasons and thats where we were going. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. Next year all things being equal, parents both with health conditions felt it was a bit of a risk
Blimey,

Of course I had no idea of that but apologies anyway.

Best of luck next year.