Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barnard Castle to Appleby in Westmoreland drive, what to see?

philc

LE
Couple of weeks time staying in a hotel with the oldies for the 60th Wedding Anniversary near Barnards Castle, with further lock downs etc looks like a days circular drive stopping at villages or places of interest, so over to the Arrsearati, what to see avoid or is just plain shite. They are in their 80s so up to High Cup Nick is not an option.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Couple of weeks time staying in a hotel with the oldies for the 60th Wedding Anniversary near Barnards Castle, with further lock downs etc looks like a days circular drive stopping at villages or places of interest, so over to the Arrsearati, what to see avoid or is just plain shite. They are in their 80s so up to High Cup Nick is not an option.
Have a look at

Ribblehead Viaduct is worth a look, well, it's awesome to be honest.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You’re in my neck of the woods.

Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle - Art and shit.
Antiques shops in Barnard Castle.
The castle itself in Barnard Castle.
Eden Valley Railway at Warcop - Old trains and shit.
Railway museum at Kirkby Stephen - more old trains and shit.
High Cup Nick - a bit off the beaten track, probably not accessible for the oldies. Nice views if you can make it up there.
Brough (Pronounced “Bruff”) Castle.

And of course you should head just a little further west and have lunch at the George & Dragon in Clifton. I hear it’s very good. ;)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Chocolate factory at Orton.

It’s where they make the posh chocolates for BA First Class.

Nice cafe, little shop and obviously fantastic chocolate.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Both the farm shops on the A66 are pretty decent. Mainsgill is the big one with camels in the field outside but I prefer the smaller one a bit further west.

Food there is very good.

Bruff FIBUA village shouldn't be missed.

By MLRS, preferably.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cross Lanes. The one with the sheep grazing on the roof.

That’s the one. Had a lovely wood fired pizza in there last week and I thought the shop was pretty reasonably priced in comparison to the usual piss take prices in places like that.

philc

LE
Keep your eyes open for Dominic Cummings and his family around Barnard Castle.

I hear shops in Barnards Castle sell tea towels in the shape of an eye test. They spell out "Dominic Cummings came here for an eye test" got that have that if true.

Truxx

LE
Castles. Faasands of them. Even Arthur's dad (Uther Pendragon) had his gaff in these parts.

Dotherboys School (well Bowes Academy)

Viking Loki Stone and The Giant's Grave in Kirkby Stephen cemetery.

Saxon church in Warcop

Appleby - inc the castle, Rutter falls nearby

Limestone pavements on Asby and Orton scars (easier going than High Cup Nick and astonishing 360 degree panorama)and ultra rare small white orchid (a bit late in the year sadly) Sunbiggin tarn.

Nine Standards on Mallerstang

Tan Hill pub

Stainmore railway collection Kirkby Stephen

Bloody hell.

It sounds a lot more interesting than it is.

Slow to the party as usual,
however ...

Andrew was our next door neighbour, we used to get chucked out of the local pub together. He fled to those far flung parts cos he couldn't get a farm here...
I've not been for a while, his Dad was here yesterday telling me what's next on the agenda.
Apparently he's bezzy mates with Rishi nowadays.
If you do go , let us know your thoughts, it'd be grand to get an unbiased view.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Slow to the party as usual,
however ...

Andrew was our next door neighbour, we used to get chucked out of the local pub together. He fled to those far flung parts cos he couldn't get a farm here...
I've not been for a while, his Dad was here yesterday telling me what's next on the agenda.
Apparently he's bezzy mates with Rishi nowadays.
If you do go , let us know your thoughts, it'd be grand to get an unbiased view.

Isn’t Rishi their MP?

I was chatting to someone from over that way the other day and she was saying it’s really bad now. He’s too busy sorting out stuff like furlough and the economy so they’ve got no one to gob off to about the dog poo bins not being emptied in the local parks.

Last edited:
Cow green reservoir - NY811308 nice views, one of the highest points in the country, nice easy short walk (bit late for the gentian violets, but the fluospar is quite pretty)

Park up in the car with a coffee at Binoculars at NY850326 and if you’re lucky you might see some black grouse (too late for the Lek though)

Sexton Blake

War Hero
For a decent pint and a looksie at the Charles Dickens painting and drawings on the walls try the Morritt Hotel/Pub just south of Barnard Castle.

ETA- Unless that is the hotel you are staying in anyway!

Truxx

LE
For a decent pint and a looksie at the Charles Dickens painting and drawings on the walls try the Morritt Hotel/Pub just south of Barnard Castle.

Used to be a standard stop off for the Truxx family back in the 60s. Then they rebuilt the A66 which bypassed it.

Latest Threads