Discussion in 'US' started by The_Cheat, Mar 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the US have any sort of specific IED drill? Not looking specifics here but from what I can see and have heard they don't...

Not having a dig or anything, just curious as I've never seen them swinging a valon etc

T C
  2. Before or After Detonation?

Mounted or Dismounted?

Soldiers Manual, Skill Level 1 tasks
    093-401-5050 - React to a Possible Improvised Explosive Device (IED)

Battledrill 07-3-D9501
    React to Contact- (Visual, IED, Direct Fire [Includes RPG])
    3. IED (Dismounted/Mounted) -

a. The unit reacts to a suspected or known IED prior to detonation by using the 5-Cs.

b. While maintaining as safe a distance as possible and 360 security, the platoon/squad/section "confirms" the presence of an IED by using all
    available optics to identify any wires, antennas, detcord or parts of exposed ordnance.
    (1) Conducts surveillance from a safe distance.

(2) Observes the immediate surroundings for suspicious activities.

c. The unit "clears" all personnel from the area a safe distance to protect them from a potential second IED.

d. The unit "calls" higher headquarters to report the IED in accordance with the unit SOP.

e. The unit "cordons" off the area, directs personnel out of the danger area, prevents all military or civilian traffic from passing and allows entry only
    to authorized personnel.

(1) Soldiers direct people out of the 300-meter minimum danger area.

(2) Identifies and clears an area for an incident control point (ICP).

(3) Soldiers occupy positions and continuously secure the area.

f. The unit "controls" the area inside the cordon to ensure only authorized access.

g. The unit continuously scans the area for suspicious activity.

(1) Identifies potential enemy observation, vantage, or ambush points.

(2) Maintains visual observation on the IED to ensure the device is not tampered with.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

An interesting view of the US' JIEDDO programme to 'defeat' IEDs:
    Circling the Lion's Den: Billions wasted on trying to counter IEDs

".....traces the history of an organisation that grew in just five years from a 12-person Army anti-homemade bomb task force into a 1,900-person behemoth aiming to find a way of stopping IEDs. Yet despite spending billions, the rate of which soldiers are able to find IEDs before they explode has remained static at roughly 50 per cent since JIEDDO was formed."

The problem is that the other side have a say in this - things do not remain static.
  4. I hear they're all going to be moving by hovercraft; this has significantly lower ground pressure which is not enough to detonate pressure pad IEDs. The HC is large enough to carry ECM so Command Det is reduced.
  5. We had a US marine ied-d team do a job for us on H10, the ssgt ic was surprised that we had dedicted balma man in the leadscout position as their dismounted patrols didn't. The thing with the yanks though is they are pretty quick at evolving TTPs so I'm pretty sure they do now. In my humble opinion one of the worst jobs, if not the worst, in theatre!