• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Barking Dog

I live in a terrace where the next door neighbour has a terrier. The garden is tiny (about 10ft x 10ft), so anything going on in the garden next door can be heard in the house.

The neighbour is a 50something year old divorcee who does not seem to walk her pet. It seems to live or have free access to the garden 24/7.

Herein lies the problem - he incessantly barks at anti social hours. Every night he is out barking well past 2300, and often I am woken up at 0200 or 0530 by the noise. The owner makes little or no attempt to stop this, merely shouting from her sofa for it to stop.

I have brought this up with her, but she seems to not care so now I need to escalate it.

What are my options? I will freely admit I have considered hopping over the fence with a kitchen knife when awoken in the middle of the night, but admit this may be a step too far....

I have seen a range of products online designed to deter barking and/or foxes using electronic frequencies - will these help?

Dog food smeared with a liberal coating of tabasco, burn its throat out.
Ideally I want to know what civil enforcement type route (ASBO?) I can go down, or dog bark countermeasures that will not harm said animal or get me in trouble with the RSPCA.

May come to that though....

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Environmental Health, they deal with noise problems such as my Bulgarian ex neighbours who used to party all f'kin night until I called EH, they came round and asked them to keep the noise down, stereo goes down, EH disappear round the corner, stereo goes back up, EH reappear to tell them if it doesn't stay down, they'll confiscate the stereo and all related items. Hour later, it goes back up, EH return with Plod + van and lo, all equipment is carted away!
If all else fails, 12 Bore straight to the napper, both dog and owner!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
RSPCA is your first step, they may talk her into giving the mutt up if she finds it difficult to look after. You don't really want to go down the path of civil disputes as I believe that when you want to sell your property you have to come clean and mention any disputes, so that really is a last option.

RSPCA is your first step, they may talk her into giving the mutt up if she finds it difficult to look after. You don't really want to go down the path of civil disputes as I believe that when you want to sell your property you have to come clean and mention any disputes, so that really is a last option.
She only rents and I own, so one step may be to contact the Landlord. I am not sure if the dog is being mistreated, but I have never seen it walked, the garden is full of festering turds (they get cleared away once every couple of days) and in my opinion should not be in the garden at such a late/early times.

She only rents and I own, so one step may be to contact the Landlord. I am not sure if the dog is being mistreated, but I have never seen it walked, the garden is full of festering turds (they get cleared away once every couple of days) and in my opinion should not be in the garden at such a late/early times.
A couple of days isn't actually "festering" is it? What you're really trying to avoid saying is she slings them over your fence isn't it??? =-\\\\

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent idea as there may well be a 'no pet' clause in the lease.

I live in a terrace where the next door neighbour has a terrier. The garden is tiny (about 10ft x 10ft), so anything going on in the garden next door can be heard in the house.

The neighbour is a 50something year old divorcee who does not seem to walk her pet. It seems to live or have free access to the garden 24/7.

Herein lies the problem - he incessantly barks at anti social hours. Every night he is out barking well past 2300, and often I am woken up at 0200 or 0530 by the noise. The owner makes little or no attempt to stop this, merely shouting from her sofa for it to stop.

I have brought this up with her, but she seems to not care so now I need to escalate it.

What are my options? I will freely admit I have considered hopping over the fence with a kitchen knife when awoken in the middle of the night, but admit this may be a step too far....

I have seen a range of products online designed to deter barking and/or foxes using electronic frequencies - will these help?
Are you sure you're not me?

Exact same scenario. My neighbour is the daughter of my previous neighbour, so I have known her longer than she's lived there. Hers is a westie from a rescue that has abandonment issues, apparently.

After both me and my neighbour complained, she bought an electronic anti-barking collar and leaves the tv on when she goes out - the dog only barks incessantly when she's not there (barks at knocks on door, postie, etc. like most dogs)

The collar works, but batteries only last about three weeks and she's pretty deaf, so needs notifying that they need changing

It's something like this:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Sonic Bark Deterrents

You can get ones that give a static shock as well.

Might be worth £15 to offer her this first before threatening to escalate it to the council, etc.

eta link... doh...

Dogs are pack animals so the first thing you need to do is establish a more dominant animal in the area. You can probably rig up a louder dog bark track on a loop and then play it over the fence. Failing that, you need to bark louder than the dog so that you win its respect.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Give both of them a bell, if they time the visit right and see a load of Richard the thirds all over the garden you might be onto a winner, landlord certainly won't be impressed.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Dogs are pack animals so the first thing you need to do is establish a more dominant animal in the area. You can probably rig up a louder dog bark track on a loop and then play it over the fence. Failing that, you need to bark louder than the dog so that you win its respect.
You mean hire a Rottweiler for a weekend, loosen a few fence panels, that old chestnut.;)

Are you sure you're not me?

Exact same scenario. My neighbour is the daughter of my previous neighbour, so I have known her longer than she's lived there. Hers is a westie from a rescue that has abandonment issues, apparently.

After both me and my neighbour complained, she bought an electronic anti-barking collar and leaves the tv on when she goes out - the dog only barks incessantly when she's not there (barks at knocks on door, postie, etc. like most dogs)

The collar works, but batteries only last about three weeks and she's pretty deaf, so needs notifying that they need changing

It's something like this:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Sonic Bark Deterrents

You can get ones that give a static shock as well.

Might be worth £15 to offer her this first before threatening to escalate it to the council, etc.

eta link... doh...

Just be careful not to order the "Extreme Discipline" version...., and the batteries cost a fortune........:omfg:

Isn't that kind of defeating the object when you take a minute to think it through...???:roll:

2 rounds 7.62 ball.
One for each.
Administered by "that" rifle*.

*Other rifles are available

No idea but you should start a log of when and for how long the barking goes on and if she is not walking/taking care of the dog that as well since action can be taken.

Your local council will have someone to address noise and anti social behaviour. This includes dogs.

Report a noise nuisance to your council - GOV.UK

What he said. We had a similar problem some 10-15 years ago, including the elderly female neighbour who couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it.

We contacted the local council, who were very helpful. We had a word with the neighbour and politely told her what we had done and that if she didn't resolve the problem the council would, including taking the dog away. The dog was handed over for rehoming before the council had to get involved.

In our case the dog was not the problem but the owner. She had a large Labrador and simply did not exercise it so it was permanently bored. The barking was a symptom.

Break off little pieces of this and hoy it over the fence. The vet bills will drive the cow to despair.........

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru

Sadly when dogs don't go out they become very territorial over what space they have so any noise near its 10x10 prison will be anxiety provoking.
Quite a few near me have dogs like that, opposite are two tiny fanny lickers, never go out of garden so when I walk up path it's an emergency.
One person walks near their territory and all the barking is horrendous and sets off other garden dwelling never walked dogs. The noise sets mine off barking who expect some sort of terror act.
You've plenty of good suggestions, very annoying thing, open windows in summer noise is louder, my dogs bark more. Fortunately some died or moved. No idea why they don't get budgies.