Barker Barracks, a farewell!

Served there as part of the Rear Link Detachment of 25 Field Regiment RA, the Geordie Gunners, 1978-1981. Great times. I did find the video quite annoying, as just as I thought I recognised something, it had changed to another view! Probably my frazzled grey cells!

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Served there as part of the Rear Link Detachment of 25 Field Regiment RA, the Geordie Gunners, 1978-1981. Great times. I did find the video quite annoying, as just as I thought I recognised something, it had changed to another view! Probably my frazzled grey cells!
I deal with that sort of thing (only case, samples of foreign text, or details) by means of the pause button.

Life goes on. It was probably impressive to previous generations too.

I feel some attachment to the former Wehrmacht barracks I Occupied in various parts of Germany, but mostly because of the credible quality of build and the double-glazing. Less for Buller Barracks, Aldershot, which was an example of a British builder's take of the pish.

Ashford's Block 6 was almost as bad, but that was caused by some the occupants, who were ex-infantry. and farted incontinently.

par avion

War Hero

I feel some attachment to the former Wehrmacht barracks I Occupied in various parts of Germany, but mostly because of the credible quality of build and the double-glazing. Less for Buller Barracks, Aldershot, which was an example of a British builder's take of the pish.

Ashford's Block 6 was almost as bad, but that was caused by some the occupants, who were ex-infantry. and farted incontinently.
Some of the barracks built in Britain in the late sixties/early seventies such as Browning Bks and Montgomory Lines Aldershot, I always refered to as 'East German housing estate chic'.

Ashford's Block 6 was almost as bad, but that was caused by some the occupants, who were ex-infantry. and farted discordantly.

...isn't that the ine the Met refused to use as it was below standard for coppers, mid 80s?

Some of the barracks built in Britain in the late sixties/early seventies such as Browning Bks and Montgomory Lines Aldershot, I always refered to as 'East German housing estate chic'.
All of the Para Bde buildings were to a consistent, horribly poor standard, along with the Duchess of Kent and Buller Bks. Poulsen? Jailtime happened, I hope.

par avion

War Hero
...isn't that the ine the Met refused to use as it was below standard for coppers, mid 80s?
During the late sixties and seventies that style of building was all the rage - pre fabricated section put together to enable buildings to be put up quickly as per East German grim looking style. You not only find it in barracks but in the big council tower blocks in London. Wembley police station and section house was a case in point. Thrown up in 1969 it had rotted so much by 2003 it had to be torn down and competely rebuilt. Same with a lot of the tower blocks and barracks.

Browing Bks was completed in 1968, but when I went there for All Arms P Company in 1983 it was starting to fall apart.

Barracks built in Victorian/Edwardian era such as Inglis Bks and the Bell Horsha Bks such as Thiepval, Lisburn and Old Park Bks, Dover in the late thirties were solid and reasonably squaddie proof.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
During the late sixties and seventies that style of building was all the rage - pre fabricated section put together to enable buildings to be put up quickly as per East German grim looking style. You not only find it in barracks but in the big council tower blocks in London. Wembley police station and section house was a case in point. Thrown up in 1969 it had rotted so much by 2003 it had to be torn down and competely rebuilt. Same with a lot of the tower blocks and barracks.

Browing Bks was completed in 1968, but when I went there for All Arms P Company in 1983 it was starting to fall apart.

Barracks built in Victorian/Edwardian era such as Inglis Bks and the Bell Horsha Bks such as Thiepval, Lisburn and Old Park Bks, Dover in the late thirties were solid and reasonably squaddie proof.
Unlike (so I was told here) Belcoo RUC station, a standard Victorian police station. Selected for upgrade in 1996, collapsed at the first touch of the bulldozer, rebuilt as a state of the art military base. Redundant in 1998.

First posting was to Barker. Lived in Block 8. Lunchtimes in the Cavendish and then downtown to the delights of the City Ckub most evenings.

45 Regt used to have a fat useless twit as Provo Sgt - Frywas his name. Used to revel in winding him up after an afternoon on the pop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
fellasapper Sappers 5
P Sappers 6
Jumpmeister RAC 8