Bargin Hunt for real, sort off

The wife is a fan of all these lets go and find riches at a car boot or antique fair TV programs especially Bargain Hunt to the point she fancies her chances and wants us to enter.

I am very against the idea for several reasons, I am not always a ray of sunshine and she can not make a decision to save her life about any thing.

So I have come up with a solution, this weekend we hit some big antique fair at a race track, each with £200 cash and have to buy 3 items which we then take down the local auction house to flog, simple or so you would think. I just know she will buy bugger all and if she does buy some thing will not want to flog it. However I will win as it will put paid to any fanciful ideas about appearing on TV.

So any tips or pointers, vague knowledge about old books, vinyl albums, militarily items and silver, or so I think, could fall flat on my face.
A few years ago I worked on 'Sun Sea and Bargain Spotting' The idea of this bargain hunting series was that a couple would be taken to France to mooch around bric a brac stalls to find saleable items which would be shipped back to the UK (Let's box it up - it's back to Britain!) the couples would then compete in an attempt to sell the items on a market stall.

We had 'experts' to advise the couples and as far as I can recall the tips were to buy shabby chic furniture or Lalique glass. The only purchase of note was a metal sculpture of an erect cock. We couldn't film the the thing but it did provide some amusement when it was hidden in the directors hand luggage just before the Airport security checks.

I don't remember anything particularly useful...
(it was a while ago and the show ultimately got hoofed off the BBC for cheating: when purchasing punters were thin on the ground at the selling stage, members of the crew were ordered to pose as buyers. Indeed a very shifty looking Bigeye could clearly be seen buying a terrible old clock for a fiver and then accidentally breaking it. The Beeb learnt of these iffy production practices through an ex-cameraman and gave the whole series the arse)
...however I would advise doing anything, up to and including feigning serious illness, to avoid being a contributor on one of these shows.

Has the OP a photograph of his wife?.Dependent on a few crucial factors, and her sense of adventure,she may double or treble her money without trying too hard.

I don't understand hipsters. The original ones bought stuff out of Oxfam because they where poor artists and wanted to shun mass marketed fashion of clothes and furniture.
Then the fashion people decided Hipsters look and style could make them lots of money, now hipsters pay top dollar to look like they shop at Oxfam. Are they yuppies with bad fashion sense?
I wonder what happened to the original hipsters? Did they grow up and get jobs?
No, they moved to hippy city, Totnes!

Seasoned ebayer as I am a few years back I had to clear the junk from my mothers house while it was renovated. As I was pressed for time and frankly needed the space in the large front room to store the new kitchen I eschewed my normal ebay channels and got the local auction place in. As well the assorted fairly decent antiques there was a 3 piece leather chesterfield and furniture so it should have fetched a decent sum.

Auctioneers come itemise it load it and go.

3 months later after having heard sod all from them I eventually find the door open to place after a good few weeks of leaving messages and going round to find it locked up as the auction only happens about once a week round here.
Explain who I am as they seemingly had forgotten and listen to the excuse that they thought I'd moved hence no money was forthcoming.

After some chuntering they dig out the sales sheet where the top line was pretty depressing - 2 seat chesterfield going for about £20 that type of thing and all in it was around £500; I took home about £100 after all their fees and charges. Robbing cnuts.

I stick to ebay (though it still feels like they didn't use lube when their invoice comes), seek and sell on faceache is pretty good for large items you're getting rid of locally though there are still the chancers and piss takers on there who want you to knock off another tenner off that Andy Warhol original that your selling for £15 and can you deliver.
I'm with him. Ebay has revolutionised the whole thing frankly. The Drew Pritchard programme is interesting but only because of the voice over commentary - how can driving a van half way across the country to buy a chair be economical? Puleezee... I did pick up a US poncho liner at a car boot years ago for £2 which I still have, but Ebay gives you that breadth and scope which is amazing. And if you miss something on Ebay there is always another soon. The fees make you cough and there is work involved (trudging up and down to the Post Office etc), but overall, amazingly simple. FaceBook I hear is the next best thing now for some of the wierd and wonderful stuff in the ex-mil vehicle market though.

Well the wife brought a few items and me bugger all apart from a penknife. She first brought an old matchbox, the strike is shark and a similar item on eBay is £40, she paid £8 so she is going to put it up and see what she makes..

A miners safety lamp at £20 is a Bargin they seem to sell at £40 plus and a pair of Art Deco earnings for a fiver, she maybe better at this than me.

Most of the stuff I liked was at the same price as it would fetch give or take at auction.

Still good day out and got some info of future fairs.

If you at a lose end this bank holiday Weatherby Race course, £4 to get in.

I have used carboots to turn a tidy profit.
A new box of artist pastel pencils bought for £5 as it had 2 pencils missing. Replacements bought from a art shop and onto fleabay and sold for £65.
Box set of Harry Potter books £10 and again passed on for £58.
Many odds and end bought for little and then sold.
Avoid the bigger commercial carboots as they can be harder to turn a profit.