Barford Camp, Barnard Castle 1970 to 1971

Minor correction on the location of HQ 6 Brigade. It was located in Streatlam Camp which has now been flattened, although the road network around the camp still exists. Streatlam was bought by a Barney milkman by the name of Hinchcliffe. Across the road by the main gate was a hard standing with the largest type of Nissen hut which doubled as a hangar for a flight of AAC that operated Westland Scouts and the occasional Sioux. My father was B/DOWO at 4Div in Herford working closely under David Scott-Barrett. DSB took my father with to Munster to oversee the 6 Brigade move to Barnard Castle where he took the role of B/DOWO again under DSB in Streatlam Camp. We lived in Churchill Road in Barnard Castle where I went to BC Grammar across the road from the house. Despite encouragement from his mentor, my father declined his commission in 1970 and instead went to be a Spook at 6 when they were in Century House. My father was severely ticked off when instead of joining the RAOC I elected to join REME, which wasn't a "proper job" as he wanted me to follow in his footsteps as a Conductor.
24 Brigade were lodging at Streatlam/Stainton in '72.

Are there any ARRSERs out there with memories of Barford Camp and Barny?

This was my first posting out of JLRRA in Jan 1970.

I was met at the gate by the Provo Sgt, Paddy Crosbie and ushered to RHQ to begin a great 11 years with 2nd Regt RA.
Sure I was with 47 light regt there in 64,it had 2 big pillars as you leave main and a downhill drive to guardhouse, have a photo and will post it asap

Sure I was with 47 light regt there in 64,it had 2 big pillars as you leave main and a downhill drive to guardhouse, have a photo and will post it asap
Any chance you could copy the photo. I live not far from the entrance you describe - now the 'gateway' to a hot-rod circuit. I was temporarily based at Stainton camp in '72, further up the road towards Barnard Castle. I believe Stainton or Startforth was HQ 24 Inf Bde at the time.

Any chance you could copy the photo. I live not far from the entrance you describe - now the 'gateway' to a hot-rod circuit. I was temporarily based at Stainton camp in '72, further up the road towards Barnard Castle. I believe Stainton or Startforth was HQ 24 Inf Bde at the time.
Will find photo first,it show the view from guardroom up the hill,with a guard of honour for visiting general,just to give you idea

Will find photo first,it show the view from guardroom up the hill,with a guard of honour for visiting general,just to give you idea
View to main road and second of phonebox next to guard room and in front of my favourite place that sold the best meat and potato pies

Attachments

• IMG-20211020-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211020-WA0001.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG-20211020-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211020-WA0000.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 17

Latest Threads