Barclays computer glitch 4 July 2014

Good Evening

Seems strange this as the online accounts / cashpoints (even when using Barclays connect at other banks) / cards refused in stores

The whole Barclays system went done this afternoon

I prefer to think that this is part of the preparations for when there is a run on the banks and they can stop all monetary transactions - which is what Gordon Brown was just a heart beat away for doing before he saved the world

Seems strange as Barclays is rapidly going down the tubes, another scandal - mis selling or financial skulduggery and I would say they are finished

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-cash-machines-online-banking-half-hours.html

Archie

If you are with Barclays, then I would strongly advise you to ditch them. Not because they are on the point of collapse, or anything, but because even though they may be financially solvent, they are completely and utterly morally bankrupt.

If there is a Libor rate scam, PPI misselling, exchange rate fiddle or anything of the like, Barclays Bank PLC will be out there, leading the field. In an industry that is infamous for its unethical practices and sheer dishonesty, Barclays wears the crown.

After about forty years with them, I finally got hold of my apathy and kicked them into touch. Apart from a bit of a PR initiative, their new CEO has, so far, done little to convince me that he has done anything to redraw the rules. The former CEO, Bob Diamond, should be behind bars. These views are, of course, entirely my own and I would happily welcome any observations from Barclays legal representatives.

For years they have treated their depositors, investors and shareholders with utter contempt, while all the while boosting the pay and bonuses of their execs and key dealers. Their filthy, grasping avarice knows no equal.

The range of ethical banking alternatives are a bit limited at the moment. Co-operative Bank?........ Do me a favour. I eventually went with Metro Bank which, apart from being a little bit too have-a-really-amazing-day, have not, so far, dropped any obvious rickets.

I repeat, ditch Barclays. They are institutionally rotten to the core.

Barclays Spoof logo.png

I worked for Barclays for 6 months. They are in fact trying to change their image and business practices. It is the vision of the CEO Anthony Jenkins, they even have values and standards, but the problem is there is no ethos running through the bank.

I'm surprised at the IT outage, they do a lot of testing before releasing anything, but then they have been hacked over the last few years to the tune of several million quid, so it's possibly a protective measure.

There are good careers there for ex military and recruitment systems have been put in place to recognise military talent.

This happened to me today. ATM said it couldn't complete the transaction and returned my card, however when I checked my account using the phone app' they had deducted the money anyway. BUT within a few minutes the amount had been restored to my account. It just meant I had to draw the cash at the counter.

WTR to Barclays themselves, I couldn't really comment on the bank as a whole, but the staff at my local branch really are excellent.

Posted quickly, while the cat's not sat on the keyboard.

Barclays are among the best when it comes to security/tech. I can attest to this as their online banking is very good and they cancel my card every 14 minutes when I'm in the US.

That said, many moons ago they withdrew my overdraft on a whim and took my entire pay packet for the month. Entirely my fault for living in it, but I hold them in contempt regardless.

That said, many moons ago they withdrew my overdraft on a whim and took my entire pay packet for the month. Entirely my fault for living in it, but I hold them in contempt regardless.
That's the type of shit they have been changing.

Barclays are among the best when it comes to security/tech. I can attest to this as their online banking is very good and they cancel my card every 14 minutes when I'm in the US.
Or any time I try to shop in the PX in Grafenwoehr or Ramstein. However I have no problem using my connect card from Germany, through an American payee, to put fuel on my Esso card.

I have a Barclaycard that I only use to pay for holidays (extra insurance cover). Every now and then they send me a letter saying thay are going to increase my credit limit. I of course reply and decline. Today I got two texts saying they were increasing my limit and left two numbers to call if I did not want the increase. Strange as I have never given them my mobile number.

They obviously use algorithms to work out when to block your card. I've switched to a paid account with RBS and it's been great so far - my card is rarely blocked and on the two occasions it has been, the phone support has been UK-based and really friendly.

Last edited:
I used to be with HSBC, but finally tired of the way they treat their customers with contempt.

So, whilst in NI I opened an account with Danske Bank, and am still with them, even though I now live on the mainland. Their service is a world away from the high street banks - helpful and friendly.

Nat West sent me an e-mail today saying that my account had been "hacked" and I was to contact them on such and such a number.

I've never banked with Nat West........

Nat West sent me an e-mail today saying that my account had been "hacked" and I was to contact them on such and such a number.

Sounds like a Nigerian 419 phishing scam. Contact them and you'll probably be fine. They'll be far more principled than Barclays Bank.

I've had those, at least I think that's what they are. The grammar is usually so poor it's difficult to be sure what they want. Mind you if they want the details of my old Nat West account they're welcome....it's still overdrawn.

Then you are a full on tin foil hat wearing wibbling lunatic
Very true.. But by definition all banks are insolvent. It is only the confidence in the system (and that you have real money in there rather than some binary digits) which keeps it going.

Once that confidence goes a la northern rock it can go down the pan at alarming speed.

As it currently stands RBS and its subsidiaries such as Nat West only persist on the High Street because of the taxpayer guarantees behind them

Sounds like a Nigerian 419 phishing scam. Contact them and you'll probably be fine. They'll be far more principled than Barclays Bank.
I've always made a point of forwarding these emails to the relevant banks security department. They are normally very quick to take down rogue web sites and the like.

I've had those, at least I think that's what they are. The grammar is usually so poor it's difficult to be sure what they want. Mind you if they want the details of my old Nat West account they're welcome....it's still overdrawn.

They go straight through to my Junk Mail. I never open them. I've only ever banked with HSBC and they don't e-mail me. How on earth am I going to bank all those millions I won in the Dubai lottery?