Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

I`ve worn the Barbour Gamefair almost every winter day for four years , still looks smart , very warm and breathable ,cant fault it...
1579035460996.png

I`ve worn the Barbour Gamefair almost every winter day for four years , still looks smart , very warm and breathable ,cant fault it...
View attachment 443831
Admittingly I did look at the Moorhen, so another firm consideration.

@Richardheadicous thanks I'll combine the Paramo store with Haglofs & Jack wolfskin.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You could do worse than trying a Gorka, favourite of Russian hunters and outdoorsmen as well as the more discerning ZPOC enthusiast across the Atlantic. I got one last August and it's stood up to wind, rain and general weather-based embuggerance pretty well.

In the highest traditions of Russian kit, they're simple, durable and functional, made from a cotton canvas that feels like the trials-pattern CS95 trousers I blagged. I went for the manufacturer SPOSN on the grounds of a recommendation from a tame Ivan and couldn't be happier. After a quick wash and treatment with Nikwax Cotton Proof, it's good for any weather bar persistent downpours and is a good deal more comfortable when I'm on the move than a Barbour or waterproof.

The added advantage is that they come as a suit of jacket and trousers and some models have a built-in tick trap in the trouser legs which may be of interest to the outdoor sportsmen amongst us.

Mine is a Beaufort which is the one with the poachers pocket in the back of the coat. It's donkeys years old and the cuffs are away. It's re-waxed it a couple of times - once quite recently, and I always come home piss-wet through when I wear it when walking the hound. Still wear it for shooting now and again though. That said, there is something about Barbour jackets. Sorry boys, but there just is.

Re the DPM Barbour - the proper one I mean (not the slightly gay one that @Oyibo bought), I seem to recollect that came out in about 1983. I always wondered if it was released by Barbour after (it may be an urban legend) the Rupert's in one of the household regiments were told that Barbour Jackets and Hunter wellies were not standard issue kit and not to be worn on duty.

A few of us used to wear Barbours when I was a lad but that came to a very swift end when spotted by the CSM. I can't remember the (one way) conversation word for word but i do remember not wearing it anymore after the b0ll0cking.

Mine is a Beaufort which is the one with the poachers pocket in the back of the coat. It's donkeys years old and the cuffs are away. It's re-waxed it a couple of times - once quite recently, and I always come home piss-wet through when I wear it when walking the hound. Still wear it for shooting now and again though. That said, there is something about Barbour jackets. Sorry boys, but there just is.

Re the DPM Barbour - the proper one I mean (not the slightly gay one that @Oyibo bought), I seem to recollect that came out in about 1983. I always wondered if it was released by Barbour after (it may be an urban legend) the Rupert's in one of the household regiments were told that Barbour Jackets and Hunter wellies were not standard issue kit and not to be worn on duty.

A few of us used to wear Barbours when I was a lad but that came to a very swift end when spotted by the CSM. I can't remember the (one way) conversation word for word but i do remember not wearing it anymore after the b0ll0cking.
A good friend of mine who worked for Jane's published a picture of a Sapper working in the field in a Barbour. There then followed a very terse call from the MOD about publishing a picture of a British Army soldier in non-issue kit.

The solution, of course, might just to have been to issue kit that was up to the job...

[/THREAD* DRIFT]

*Thread - see what I did there?

Out of collection is a ragged Beaufort, which stays in the car. I've rewaxed it & had the cuffs redone with leather trim & still does it job.

The other, is a Barbour Union Jack (including lining) which hasn't been fully tested although I've noticed it's more of a fashion accessory (especially at Army v Navy) game.

I'm in no hurry to invest in 3rd wax if I'm unable to find exactly what I'm after, although the Tweed model I mentioned earlier is favourite, especially when visiting family back in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I’ve got a twenty five year old Dryzabone Aussie version, it was a third of the price of a Barbour and just as good....so there!

Apologies spelt it wrong!!

Last edited:
I have a longer Border Jacket but thinking of buying a Northumbria as last one only lasted 27 years.
Others might make them but have found Barbour fit the brief & quality made.

Only reason I did not get the Northumbria was that Barbour stopped selling it for 5 years.

I have a longer Border Jacket but thinking of buying a Northumbria as last one only lasted 27 years.
Others might make them but have found Barbour fit the brief & quality made.

Only reason I did not get the Northumbria was that Barbour stopped selling it for 5 years.

WaltBay - have a dekko

I've had a Barbour Beaufort for about 15 years now, and it has been used and abused. Have a number of others. These days they seem to be stupidly trendy and not designed for actual use.

The cuffs are fraying, there are small tears all over it, the pockets are torn at the corners and it needs a rewax. For whatever reason I still love it.

Sent it off to Barbour a few years ago for some repairs. Was not at all impressed with what they did - anyone know any decent repair outfits?