Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

Good news. My Barbour Cowen Commando Heritage arrived today, and I can unequivocally state that it is shit.

When I purchased it, in my wine addled state, I envisaged a loose hanging jacket with plenty of storage space suitable for the great outdoors. Instead it is a poncy slim cut 'man-about-town' item that can barely hold a couple of condoms and a Silva compass.

Nonetheless, I shall give it some time to see how it goes. On the plus side it is only the cotton exterior with a light lining, so okay for rainy season in Africa at a push, but the tight cut of the jacket would probably negate that.

My advice would be to buy the jacket take one of the condoms out of the tiny pockets and wear that instead. And also I would advise not buying stuff on fleabay after a few snifters!

Growing up in a rural-ish environment I have had a few Barbours and knock offs.
Air gap is important apparently, you've got to factor in what you're wearing underneath and get a size that leaves enough breathability, otherwise I end up soaked in sweat if doing any actual work outside. It's not the ideal coat for banging in fenceposts really. But the waterproof, windproof and not least thornproof aspect is a godsend sometimes.
Also you have to think of how heavy a weight of cotton you go for.

Yes when nicely worn in they do smell of dried sweat, dogs, manure, gear oil, horses and of course wax. The more tramp-like it looks and smells the classier you are.
Dogs agree, people on the Tube in London just sniff and give you funny looks.

The wax is actually part of their structure and without it the Egyptian cotton doesn't have much tensile strength, so what cuts their life short is rips through lack of wax when I get slack and stop breaking out the wax and hairdryer.

Yeah there's definitely better outdoor coats available than Edwardian relics fitted with a brass zip but somehow they don't seem to stay the course and I'm left with greasy old Barbours again.

Barbour, like Hunter wellies and Land-Rover, seem more interested in the posy suburban twat market nowadays. But that said they haven't gone full retard and slapped the name on cheap made in China crap like the aforementioned. Yet.
Aussie firm DrizaBone still make them old school quality, albeit a heavier grade of cotton than Barbour, and they too go nicely with a pair of RM Williams boots.

Very, very true. In a different place, the fashion has been for a while for very tailored shirts and suits. I always found I was sweating out and feel bloody awful. Clothes are meant to move, not restrict.

I’ve noticed that even with a lot of outdoor gear there’s been a trend towards the Hipster-ish recently. If you’re going walking, you need to look like a woodsman, apparently. Trousers sit on the hips, shirts come up short and so on. Look at the Cotswold site, and others, and you’ll see what I mean.

But people haven’t changed shape in a season. I’ve got older walking trousers (Rohan) which sit at the waist and don’t constantly need hitching up. Other gear fits and doesn’t get claggy. But I can’t find its like any more.

Last edited:
Good news. My Barbour Cowen Commando Heritage arrived today, and I can unequivocally state that it is shit.

When I purchased it, in my wine addled state, I envisaged a loose hanging jacket with plenty of storage space suitable for the great outdoors. Instead it is a poncy slim cut 'man-about-town' item that can barely hold a couple of condoms and a Silva compass.

Nonetheless, I shall give it some time to see how it goes. On the plus side it is only the cotton exterior with a light lining, so okay for rainy season in Africa at a push, but the tight cut of the jacket would probably negate that.

My advice would be to buy the jacket take one of the condoms out of the tiny pockets and wear that instead. And also I would advise not buying stuff on fleabay after a few snifters!

I was inspired by your shopping advice, but before knowing the unfortunate outcome, so I too went on ebay late at night to buy a wax jacket.
I found a Game make wax jacket at a very sensible price in brown. I have a thick fleece jacket of the same make that fits well so I ordered the wax one.
It arrived today and very nice it is too.
Well it looks very nice on my 21 year old son.
It looks like fat old man trying to look young hip and chic on me.
Or sad old git as my wife phrased it.
I am now down £50 quid and my son is the proud owner of a new jacket.
I am older, wiser (about £50s worth wiser to be honest)
The advice don't buy stuff on fleabay after a few snifters is wise.

I was inspired by your shopping advice, but before knowing the unfortunate outcome, so I too went on ebay late at night to buy a wax jacket.
I found a Game make wax jacket at a very sensible price in brown. I have a thick fleece jacket of the same make that fits well so I ordered the wax one.
It arrived today and very nice it is too.
Well it looks very nice on my 21 year old son.
It looks like fat old man trying to look young hip and chic on me.
Or sad old git as my wife phrased it.
I am now down £50 quid and my son is the proud owner of a new jacket.
I am older, wiser (about £50s worth wiser to be honest)
The advice don't buy stuff on fleabay after a few snifters is wise.

I took the advice of the people on this thread and bought an Orvis Zambezi for 50 squids on Ebay - it is currently on the back of my chair in a hotel in Kinshasa. Great bit of kit: loads of pockets (some internal ones could do with being larger); rugged; light-ish; and good enough for visiting clients on field trips. Do not under any circumstances pay the retail price though :-o

I took the advice of the people on this thread and bought an Orvis Zambezi for 50 squids on Ebay - it is currently on the back of my chair in a hotel in Kinshasa. Great bit of kit: loads of pockets (some internal ones could do with being larger); rugged; light-ish; and good enough for visiting clients on field trips. Do not under any circumstances pay the retail price though :-o
Liked the look of the jacket, could only see it in my size at full retail price
Fortunately a modicom of sense kicked in and I didn't buy it.
After my last experience I will try the thing on before springing any cash for one though.

You bought it at your usual size. New barbours are hipster/******** cut. A size up is where you should have gone, the old ones used to do it. Not anymore it seems.

I took the advice of the people on this thread and bought an Orvis Zambezi for 50 squids on Ebay -- Do not under any circumstances pay the retail price though :-o

Very true, Orvis is like Rohan for country types who've just discovered Stockbridge and think it is just a local shop, rather than a means to fulfil the Old world heritage fantasies of rich americans.

If you're working outside in all weathers get a Swanndri, though do buy a size larger go allow for layering . Also give Arbotec a go.
Barbours are bought by people who think that Agas a must have.

No idea which model mine is, but it has a poachers pocket where I store the optional extra hood.

Good coat which can be worn almost anywhere (nots inc funeral, wedding imho)

Easy to DIY repair/re-wax too.

Holy Revival thread as some might say, however some advice would be appreciated.

Mrs B got a Barbour Kelsall for Christmas & I'm curious as to whether Barbour did a male equivalent, which they don't.

I own a couple of wax jackets however I've looked at the Sapper, Swainby & even the more up to date modern product range but nothing compares, visited a few Barbour stores, asked staff & nothing.

Can anyone recommend a quilted stormproof, windproof & waterproof winter coat or parka, I've narrowed it down to Haglofs, Jack Wolfskin & Musto.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I moved off Barbour to Musto years ago, however my latest jacket is a Schoffel Ptarmigan It is much the lightest of shooting jackets I have had, perhaps a bit too light, but seems to be standing up to the rigours well..

I have also worn Schoffel Ketton jackets in the summer.. they are feather light, but keep out the wind.. that and a fleece sees me through to November most years.. They remind me of the Jackets the riggers used to make out of camouflage reserves..

I get most of my stuff from Elm of Burford, usually at their stall at one of the game shows.. they also stock RW Williams boots and Acubra hats...!

Holy Revival thread as some might say, however some advice would be appreciated.

Mrs B got a Barbour Kelsall for Christmas & I'm curious as to whether Barbour did a male equivalent, which they don't.

I own a couple of wax jackets however I've looked at the Sapper, Swainby & even the more up to date modern product range but nothing compares, visited a few Barbour stores, asked staff & nothing.

Can anyone recommend a quilted stormproof, windproof & waterproof winter coat or parka, I've narrowed it down to Haglofs, Jack Wolfskin & Musto.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I'm not on commission, I've mentioned them before, Paramo. Even on a winter skills course, temp -23, I only wore a base layer under their smock. Too heavy? They do a wide range of water/windproof jackets in different weights. My smock is 15/20 years old. Wash and reproof, and still going strong.