Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

ugly

LE
I admit I own two Barbours, a heavy weight one, with a quilted lining, for winter and a lightweight 4oz for the day of summer we get every year in the Highlands, the heavy weight one is due a rewax, I just haven't pulled my finger out. Never had any issues of clamminess or overheating wearing either, and both do a superb job of shucking the rain, and more importantly keeping the wind out.

Back to the OP's choice, I think you might have been better off with one of these

Official Barbour Website
You could buy 10 solognacs for that price

Oyibo

LE
I admit I own two Barbours, a heavy weight one, with a quilted lining, for winter and a lightweight 4oz for the day of summer we get every year in the Highlands, the heavy weight one is due a rewax, I just haven't pulled my finger out. Never had any issues of clamminess or overheating wearing either, and both do a superb job of shucking the rain, and more importantly keeping the wind out.

Back to the OP's choice, I think you might have been better off with one of these

Official Barbour Website
The Orel was the one I thought most appropriate, but the wine intervened.

foxs_marine

War Hero
Growing up in a rural-ish environment I have had a few Barbours and knock offs.
Air gap is important apparently, you've got to factor in what you're wearing underneath and get a size that leaves enough breathability, otherwise I end up soaked in sweat if doing any actual work outside. It's not the ideal coat for banging in fenceposts really. But the waterproof, windproof and not least thornproof aspect is a godsend sometimes.
Also you have to think of how heavy a weight of cotton you go for.

Yes when nicely worn in they do smell of dried sweat, dogs, manure, gear oil, horses and of course wax. The more tramp-like it looks and smells the classier you are.
Dogs agree, people on the Tube in London just sniff and give you funny looks.

The wax is actually part of their structure and without it the Egyptian cotton doesn't have much tensile strength, so what cuts their life short is rips through lack of wax when I get slack and stop breaking out the wax and hairdryer.

Yeah there's definitely better outdoor coats available than Edwardian relics fitted with a brass zip but somehow they don't seem to stay the course and I'm left with greasy old Barbours again.

Barbour, like Hunter wellies and Land-Rover, seem more interested in the posy suburban twat market nowadays. But that said they haven't gone full retard and slapped the name on cheap made in China crap like the aforementioned. Yet.
Aussie firm DrizaBone still make them old school quality, albeit a heavier grade of cotton than Barbour, and they too go nicely with a pair of RM Williams boots.
RM Williams are top kit but ludicrously expensive in the UK.

foxs_marine

War Hero
I dare say you're right, but there's a bit more to it IMO. To wit: I have a Morgan car; it's about as practical as a pair of ice-skates in the desert, but I love the bloody thing. It's a lifestyle choice (crusty old fart).

I have a few Goretex jackets and they are generally pretty good. I have a modern car which is good. But I get more enjoyment out of the traditional car, and having never had a Barbour wondered whether it would be a similar experience.
This is also the argument for expensive mechanical watch vs quartz abomination...

ugly

LE
How would you rate these:

Vêtements chasse en plaine - Knickers velours Sibir 100 vert

If I have enough beer tonight I might even take your recommendation and buy a pair
Oddly enough I bought solognac trs for stalking and beating, steppes 30 or something I think. The good thing is Decathlon will deliver to your local store so you can try them on. I have breeks but either moleskin or tweed or an eyewateringly expensive pair of Nomad ones. The Solognac trs were better on the hill

These were the ones I bought for me and my eldest Small game field clothes - Inverness 300 hunting trousers - green although the steppes 300 are good too. I also use these as work trousers Small game field clothes - Light Hunting Trousers 100 green
and these Small game field clothes - Steppe 300 Lined hunting trousers - Green

ugly

LE
One big downside, on mine at least, the lining is not well executed so it sags forward, a few stitches to hold it to the side seam of the jacket to keep it from falling forward gives a pretty smart very comfortable jacket that has IIRC 9 pockets to stash stuff in, including a zipped key pocket in one of the exterior pockets.
My expensive Lt Div Rifle Green blazer has as many if not more and the twice a year it comes out is full of at least 9 hip flasks

Oyibo

LE
Oddly enough I bought solognac trs for stalking and beating, steppes 30 or something I think. The good thing is Decathlon will deliver to your local store so you can try them on. I have breeks but either moleskin or tweed or an eyewateringly expensive pair of Nomad ones. The Solognac trs were better on the hill

These were the ones I bought for me and my eldest Small game field clothes - Inverness 300 hunting trousers - green although the steppes 300 are good too. I also use these as work trousers Small game field clothes - Light Hunting Trousers 100 green
and these Small game field clothes - Steppe 300 Lined hunting trousers - Green
Some very interesting kit on the website (and very well priced). Thanks for the heads-up

ugly

LE
Some very interesting kit on the website (and very well priced). Thanks for the heads-up
Pleasure, its a shame not to share such good value!

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I have a Barbour Stockman coat. Very long with a storm cape thing and straps to put round your legs (I assume for horse riding as the tail-coats are split as well). Impulse purchase many moons ago but frankly, it's f**king monsoon proof and I'd fancy its chances again a tsunami.

Last edited:

Oyibo

LE
I have a Barbour Stockman coat. Very long with a storm cape thing and straps to put round your legs (I assume for horse riding as the tali-coats are split as well). Impulse purchase many moons ago but frankly, it's f**king monsoon proof and I'd fancy its chances again a tsunami.
That's a real "I'm off to cleanse the streets of Whitechapel" kind of coat!

Back in the early 60,sI was the proud owner of a sleek Norton Dommy 600,used to ride home from Middle wallop to warrington every chance I got,one of the pilot students sold me a Belstaff jacket and trousers,a bit oldfashioned stone age zips and studs,but it was dry and warm and smelled like sardines, but I kept it waxed and clean, it was the go to thing for winter carp and pike fishing,Iwas zee krazy tommy who haunted the hills and woods above Vogelsang hunting winter fox and Pine Marten with my trusty eagle owl Barney, but as usual I digress,in february 83 my boss sent us out to south africa to take part in the last huge elephant cull,our job was to catch out all the babies to ship back to zoos in europe,coming home to Hellenthal in the winter snow,my boxhead psychobitch wife, had once morehad a huge brainfart and decided to clean out my and I mean mykit room in the attic, so she called a 2nd hand dealer from roetgen he gladly took oodles of rods and fishing gear, my collection of blowpipes from all over the world,at that time I wasteaching the use of tranquiliser darts using blowpipes and guns for a Company called Telinject, these all went including my beloved Belstaff Suit and suits ang smocks,my hardy rods and reels you can see ondisplay today in an Aachen Hunting shop, so thats my waxcoat story, I have a tear in my eye as I write ,but I have the satisfaction of knowing that physcho bitches ashes are in an eggtimer on the mantle piece in my grandsons house in Minden

I have Barbours, Durhams both waxed and unwaxed, I find however that for beating or walked up a Solognac from Decathlon is green and waterproof with a mesh liner to stop me sweating like a prisoner on his last days cell inspection. For protection I wear a leather jerkin over the top.
The Barbours (apart from the dpm one I still have) are usually used as burial shrouds for my dogs as they shuffle off. Dry weather order of dress:
View attachment 381211

Wet weather order of dress:
View attachment 381212
Is that 'Where's Wally' photo bombing your second shot?

and trousers
I brought a pair of the wax cotton Barbour Trails Trousers for about £80 from the Barbour Bicester Outlet Shop. I contacted the Barbour head Office and they sent me a pair of brass buckles to replace the plastic type buckles on the bottom of the trouser legs. Good customer service at Bicester if you get the right member of staff. Normally the ladies are more enthusiastic about helping you then some of the men. The Trials Master Jacket was issued to Army Rider's in the early 80's as they came with the Can Am Bombardier in the panniers. All big sizes which was ideal as you could get loads of warm kit underneath them in winter. The Original Trials Master Jacket is a loose fitting jacket and some came with a tail piece to button up between the legs AKA similar to the PARA SMOCK. A lot of Barbour and Belstaff kit is now for fashion and not function.

Latest Threads