Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

I have a full length brown wax jacket made by the Original Australian Outback Company.
Unlined but quite warm, very waterproof and very comfortable. Good for walking the dog.

Re comments about 'Driza-Bone. I've got a Stockman jacket I bought about 25 years ago - to match the dogs natch!

I bought it in Newcastle, at the end of the tunnel in a factory shop called...... oh yes Barbour.

Yep, Barbour make Driza-Bone. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news!

PS - at the time it was £25!!

OneTenner

Old-Salt
I have a Keela Ventile jacket - fourteen years old, used it in Norway, France & Germany for 'proper outdoorsy stuff', also took it with me as a backup jacket on trips down the West Coast of Africa. Never had any problems with water ingress and as it's single layer and sort-of breathable it works in most climates. The hood is detachable and theres a decent (map) sized inside pocket. It's a bit battered but still gets thrice-weekly use for dog walking duties and performs just as well as ever. Doesn't have the Barbour look or cachet though....

Not my photo, CBA to brush the mud & dried dog slobber off mine ;)

T-shirt and one of these.
The more battered the better
No don’t go there . Mrs OB is an Italian and every time we go to Africa she buys one of these for me . As “it’s what the hunters wear there” Maybe in a 1950 movie but not now.

you look like a Cnut.

last year I wore a $19.99 Amazon fleece jacket , green . Fantastic , warm , quite water resistant and loads of pockets.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Re comments about 'Driza-Bone. I've got a Stockman jacket I bought about 25 years ago - to match the dogs natch!

I bought it in Newcastle, at the end of the tunnel in a factory shop called...... oh yes Barbour.

Yep, Barbour make Driza-Bone. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news!

PS - at the time it was £25!!
Glad I read that twice, for a minute I thought you said you wore it near the end of a tunnel whilst dogging.......:grin:

Confirmed today that the Barbour I bought in c. 19909 is in fact made of Cordura. I can't see another one on their website, although I didn't hunt. Cordura is strange stuff; basically woven nylon, hydrophobic, so not in need of waxing or any other preparation to keep the water out, but it isn't particularly breathable (although the Cordura website claims it is) so you need holes to let the whiff out. It also repels dirt and dogshit, so good for walkies. I have a couple of camera bags made of it, bought in 1979, which haven't worn at all despite being heavily abused over the years. I see that it's popular for motorcycling apparel, which is testament to its toughness. Doesn't stain or smell or make your eyes water.
Waxy clothing is disgusting and should be legislated against.

Last edited:
Holy Revival thread as some might say, however some advice would be appreciated.

Mrs B got a Barbour Kelsall for Christmas & I'm curious as to whether Barbour did a male equivalent, which they don't.

I own a couple of wax jackets however I've looked at the Sapper, Swainby & even the more up to date modern product range but nothing compares, visited a few Barbour stores, asked staff & nothing.

Can anyone recommend a quilted stormproof, windproof & waterproof winter coat or parka, I've narrowed it down to Haglofs, Jack Wolfskin & Musto.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk
Try Ayacucho, Cotswold Outdoor sell them. Waterproof, windproof and warm as toast.

OneTenner

Old-Salt
Waxy clothing is disgusting and should be legislated against.
Generally agree with the stuff that looks like it's been used as coveralls by someone that sprays Waxoyl to the underside of series LandRovers for 30+ years, I do own several pairs of Fjallraven trousers that need a light waxing to adjust the water repellence, it can be washed out though so it doesn't end up with a layer of cloying oily, smelly grime that seems to be a hallmark of a 'well used' Barbour or Bellstaff jacket

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Re the DPM Barbour - the proper one I mean (not the slightly gay one that @Oyibo bought), I seem to recollect that came out in about 1983. I always wondered if it was released by Barbour after (it may be an urban legend) the Rupert's in one of the household regiments were told that Barbour Jackets and Hunter wellies were not standard issue kit and not to be worn on duty.
I was given a DPM Barbour in about 1980 by the then current squeeze and after a few years it was looking the worse for wear so I sent it off to Barbour only to receive a letter from them pointing out the coat had failed the "drip" test. Apparently the coat is spread over a sort of bucket and water dripped onto the back. Any which made its way through required the coat to be destroyed (though I still wonder). Anyway, I could have a free replacement so I replied "another DPM coat please". I was then informed that all the DPM material coats had been bought up by a certain Guard regiment and was no longer available but would I like to choose another.
To cut a long story short Barbour provided me with a Northumbria with extra pockets to my design. Said coat is still in use and has stood the test of time well, apart from the smell from "things" which get left in the 'poachers' pocket.

To cut a long story short Barbour provided me with a Northumbria with extra pockets to my design. Said coat is still in use and has stood the test of time well, apart from the smell from "things" which get left in the 'poachers' pocket.
I believe a few customised Barbours went to the Falklands in 1982

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
I’m sure the DPM one had epaulettes on chest and back like the arctic smock.
and I sold one on ebay a few years ago - for a lot less than this..

Oyibo

LE
and I sold one on ebay a few years ago - for a lot less than this..
o_O o_O o_O o_O

£720. F**kin' 'ell

jmb3296

Old-Salt
You could do worse than trying a Gorka, favourite of Russian hunters and outdoorsmen as well as the more discerning ZPOC enthusiast across the Atlantic. I got one last August and it's stood up to wind, rain and general weather-based embuggerance pretty well.

In the highest traditions of Russian kit, they're simple, durable and functional, made from a cotton canvas that feels like the trials-pattern CS95 trousers I blagged. I went for the manufacturer SPOSN on the grounds of a recommendation from a tame Ivan and couldn't be happier. After a quick wash and treatment with Nikwax Cotton Proof, it's good for any weather bar persistent downpours and is a good deal more comfortable when I'm on the move than a Barbour or waterproof.

The added advantage is that they come as a suit of jacket and trousers and some models have a built-in tick trap in the trouser legs which may be of interest to the outdoor sportsmen amongst us.
Thank you for the recommendation. I hadn't heard of them before. I have done some online research and placed an order for two (one for me one for the lad) today.

I am not looking for sartorial elegance (I have a Barbour for that) but a hard wearing jacket and trousers I can use on the foreshore, stalking, and doing estate work parties without grieving too much if I scratch it a bit.

I am optimistic but am philosophical as I have been disappointed before.

I am not looking for sartorial elegance (I have a Barbour for that) but a hard wearing jacket and trousers I can use on the foreshore, stalking, and doing estate work parties without grieving too much if I scratch it a bit.
I think it'll serve you well. It's not waterproof by any means but mine bears up well under showers and I'd class it as fast-drying-and-acceptably-comfortable-when-wet. It's also shrugged off gorse, heather and ooyah bushes quite effectively.

Out of curiosity, which manufacturer did you go for?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think it'll serve you well. It's not waterproof by any means but mine bears up well under showers and I'd class it as fast-drying-and-acceptably-comfortable-when-wet. It's also shrugged off gorse, heather and ooyah bushes quite effectively.

Out of curiosity, which manufacturer did you go for?
Tempted to get a ventile version made up

JackSofty

Old-Salt
I worked at the Temple of country sports clothing Cordings of Piccadilly in the early-mid 80s. Chap came in, bought a new Barbour coat (they stocked the entire range back then) and on exiting he dumped his old Barbour gamefair in the bin outside.
I retrieved the binned coat and it has served me well for at least 35 years.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Latest Threads