Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

The cut isn't sports jacket smart but then I wouldn't want to be wearing something particularly fitted for traveling. I just treat it as a smarter option to something loose cut like my barbour washed twill international. It is a jacket that blends in better than something a bit more militaristic looking would in certain places while providing lots of pockets to stash all sorts in.

Like @CharlieRomeoAlphaBravo I didn't like the look of the leather/pleather elbow patches, that is why I went for the nubuck version, I wouldn't recommend one of the leather ones for warmer of climes though, in size 48 it must be going on for 5lb.

The Orvis Zambezi does se3em like a good shout for a travelling jacket that does not look like an assault vest. I bought a cheap second-hand one on Fleabay the other day to see what it is like in reality. Geography teacher elbow patches unfortunately, but I'll reserve judgement.

I think that is the only time orvis is good value. Mine was about £70 as opposed to the best part of £350 at the time for a new one IIRC. It's a handy thing to have but no way was it ever worth that sort of money.

Yup - there's no way I'd pay retail price. I got the Ebay one for £40, so a bit of a case of 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'. I'll be interested to see how it fits though - I haven't yet developed the 'Orvis Belly'.

I haven't yet developed the 'Orvis Belly'.

Re "Orvis belly"....I can neither confirm nor deny.......especially the deny bit.

I am 6ft and 47 inch chest and do a few weights, enough to keep in some sort of shape but not a brick shithouse. I could have squeezed into a 46 for smartness but while it wasn't exactly restrictive I would have noticed it, sleeves would have been borderline short as well. The 48 fits alright across the shoulders and is a bit loose around the gut when done up even with the pockets all loaded up with crap. It is a "comfort fit" and like I said just a slightly smarter more innocuous jacket than the other options I could think of.

Re "Orvis belly"....I can neither confirm nor deny.......especially the deny bit.

I am 6ft and 47 inch chest and do a few weights, enough to keep in some sort of shape but not a brick shithouse. I could have squeezed into a 46 for smartness but while it wasn't exactly restrictive I would have noticed it, sleeves would have been borderline short as well. The 48 fits alright across the shoulders and is a bit loose around the gut when done up even with the pockets all loaded up with crap. It is a "comfort fit" and like I said just a slightly smarter more innocuous jacket than the other options I could think of.

It is always worth going to an Orvis shop and trying them on!

Some of the Panama/safari jackets look dead smart. Paired with a decent shirt, a pair of casual trousers, comfy shoes and a hat if desired , the outfit will carry you in most places. Dress down is dead easy too - put on jeans and polo shirt ( or something louder if that's your wish ) and away you go.

I dare say you're right, but there's a bit more to it IMO. To wit: I have a Morgan car; it's about as practical as a pair of ice-skates in the desert, but I love the bloody thing. It's a lifestyle choice (crusty old fart).

I have a few Goretex jackets and they are generally pretty good. I have a modern car which is good. But I get more enjoyment out of the traditional car, and having never had a Barbour wondered whether it would be a similar experience.
I have owned a Barbour, I am reasonably certain it is less fun than a Morgan.
3 or 4 wheels perchance?

3 or 4 wheels
perchance?
You may be interested to press/click the little (blue) arrow, below . . .

[DRIFT]

Published by: pesmedia.com, on 06 March 2019.

Morgan Motor Company acquired by European investment group

Morgan Motor Company has been acquired by European investment group, Investindustrial, which has taken a majority stake in the icon 110-year old British sports car manufacturer.

Terms of the transaction were not disclosed, and it is expected to complete in April 2019. The Morgan family will continue to act as stewards for the brand and retains a minority shareholding.

Meanwhile, for the first time in its history, the management team and all employees will have a share of the business. The investment is executed without financial debt, and Morgan will have a positive net cash position upon closing of the transaction. The investment in Morgan is made by a separate fund (with a different strategy) from Investindustrial V L.P. (whose investment subsidiaries hold a stake in Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings).

Founded in 1909, Morgan continues to hand-build premium sports cars with a classic design in its historic factory in Malvern, UK, which is visited by more than 30,000 enthusiasts each year. With revenues of £33.8 million and net profit of £3.2 million in 2018, the company sells around 700 cars per year including a portfolio of iconic car designs and a unique Three Wheeler manufactured using three core elements: ash, aluminium and leather.

The Morgan brand is synonymous of quintessential British craftsmanship, performance and design. Morgan has a loyal and active owners’ community with more than 5,000 members and 50 clubs globally.

As part of the transaction, and as a sign of its long-term commitment to the company and the wider British automotive sector, Investindustrial will support Morgan to accelerate new product development, after the launch of the new Plus Six at the Geneva motor show, the first to adopt the company’s new CX-Generation architecture, increase global distribution and broaden customers’ experience with unique events, enabling Morgan to fulfil its global potential as an iconic maker of hand-built British sports cars.

In supporting the company, Investindustrial will leverage its vast experience and track record in the automotive industry, developed through a number of successful investments over the last 30 years, such as Aston Martin and Ducati [ RCT(V) note: Ducati now owned by Audi ].

Morgan will continue to focus on its niche classic segment within the automotive sector, with bespoke manufacturing, hand-built products, and the use of ash remaining central to its strategy. Investindustrial will work closely with current management and the wider Morgan family to make sure that future development of the business will be respectful of and remain true to the company’s unique heritage.

Morgan Motor Company
www.morgan-motor.co.uk

View attachment 381576

Morgan Motor Company acquired by European investment group

3 or 4 wheels perchance?

4/4 Sport:

Untitled-1.jpg

But I'd love to try the 3-wheeler

There are other attractions for me so I avoid the place, I think the Cousins call it sticker shock, the look on your face when you see the price.

Im with you. With me its more like sticker tourettes. Anglo Saxon at its most descriptive.

Seriously though, a plain, partly lined linen or cotton jacket made to set patterns in a third world country by poor sods on a pittance and its 250-300 plus notes ?
Now if it was made in the UK by people with a guaranteed minimum wage and paying national insurance contributions and all that, the price night be justifiable, but it would still be expensive. Its not fitted -FFS, according to GQ magazine, made to measure suits start at £500 and thats a jacket thats lined, with trousers and a choice of fabrics with two fittings at the tailor. Not that I've gone much further than M&S where I've bought production run suits for the price of that Orvis Jacket.