Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

Mine is a Beaufort which is the one with the poachers pocket in the back of the coat. It's donkeys years old and the cuffs are away. It's re-waxed it a couple of times - once quite recently, and I always come home piss-wet through when I wear it when walking the hound. Still wear it for shooting now and again though. That said, there is something about Barbour jackets. Sorry boys, but there just is.

Re the DPM Barbour - the proper one I mean (not the slightly gay one that @Oyibo bought), I seem to recollect that came out in about 1983. I always wondered if it was released by Barbour after (it may be an urban legend) the Rupert's in one of the household regiments were told that Barbour Jackets and Hunter wellies were not standard issue kit and not to be worn on duty.

A few of us used to wear Barbours when I was a lad but that came to a very swift end when spotted by the CSM. I can't remember the (one way) conversation word for word but i do remember not wearing it anymore after the b0ll0cking.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Mine is a Beaufort which is the one with the poachers pocket in the back of the coat. It's donkeys years old and the cuffs are away. It's re-waxed it a couple of times - once quite recently, and I always come home piss-wet through when I wear it when walking the hound. Still wear it for shooting now and again though. That said, there is something about Barbour jackets. Sorry boys, but there just is.

Re the DPM Barbour - the proper one I mean (not the slightly gay one that @Oyibo bought), I seem to recollect that came out in about 1983. I always wondered if it was released by Barbour after (it may be an urban legend) the Rupert's in one of the household regiments were told that Barbour Jackets and Hunter wellies were not standard issue kit and not to be worn on duty.

A few of us used to wear Barbours when I was a lad but that came to a very swift end when spotted by the CSM. I can't remember the (one way) conversation word for word but i do remember not wearing it anymore after the b0ll0cking.
A good friend of mine who worked for Jane's published a picture of a Sapper working in the field in a Barbour. There then followed a very terse call from the MOD about publishing a picture of a British Army soldier in non-issue kit.

The solution, of course, might just to have been to issue kit that was up to the job...

[/THREAD* DRIFT]

*Thread - see what I did there?

Out of collection is a ragged Beaufort, which stays in the car. I've rewaxed it & had the cuffs redone with leather trim & still does it job.

The other, is a Barbour Union Jack (including lining) which hasn't been fully tested although I've noticed it's more of a fashion accessory (especially at Army v Navy) game.

I'm in no hurry to invest in 3rd wax if I'm unable to find exactly what I'm after, although the Tweed model I mentioned earlier is favourite, especially when visiting family back in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I’ve got a twenty five year old Dryzabone Aussie version, it was a third of the price of a Barbour and just as good....so there!

Apologies spelt it wrong!!

Last edited:
I’ve got a twenty five year old DryzBone Aussie version, it was a third of the price of a Barbour and just as good....so there!
but it’s not a Barbour. No matter how hard it tries:)

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
I have a longer Border Jacket but thinking of buying a Northumbria as last one only lasted 27 years.
Others might make them but have found Barbour fit the brief & quality made.

Only reason I did not get the Northumbria was that Barbour stopped selling it for 5 years.

I have a longer Border Jacket but thinking of buying a Northumbria as last one only lasted 27 years.
Others might make them but have found Barbour fit the brief & quality made.

Only reason I did not get the Northumbria was that Barbour stopped selling it for 5 years.
WaltBay - have a dekko

You could do worse than trying a Gorka, favourite of Russian hunters and outdoorsmen....
Not to be confused with this Gorka, which is also a favourite of Russians, hunters and outsdoorsmen. As well as being a total spastard.

But on a serious note, Barbour Border all the way.

I've had a Barbour Beaufort for about 15 years now, and it has been used and abused. Have a number of others. These days they seem to be stupidly trendy and not designed for actual use.

The cuffs are fraying, there are small tears all over it, the pockets are torn at the corners and it needs a rewax. For whatever reason I still love it.

Sent it off to Barbour a few years ago for some repairs. Was not at all impressed with what they did - anyone know any decent repair outfits?

Not to be confused with this Gorka, which is also a favourite of Russians, hunters and outsdoorsmen. As well as being a total spastard.
Ally:
1579104750394.png

Wally:
1579104904569.png

Yesterday, fueled by France's finest plonk, I decided it was time I bought a Barbour jacket. I had memories of friends in the Army who had unlined wax jackets under their smock. Inspired by this, I thought something similar would be ideal for travelling between a fairly mountainous part of Europe (cold-ish and often wet) and West Africa (hot, and sometimes very wet indeed).

A lightweight load-carrier was what I was after. Sadly the wine got the better of me and I bought the Barbour Commando Cowen Heritage instead:

View attachment 381160

I've yet to see how it does, but I was interested in other people's experiences of the pros and cons of different types of Barbour waxed jackets. Feel free to call me a mong for buying one with DPM accents!

I always used Barbour wax jackets when shooting but I found after a while they would start letting water in around the seams and despite having them rewaxed, would do it again. I went to my local gun shop & told him the problem and he suggested a Musto coat, it cost an arm & a leg but nearly 20 years later it still does the job!

gorillaguts981

War Hero
As a 66 year old, would I be outlived by a new Barbour? The last one could stand up on its own, smelled rank and had to be taken behind the shed and shot. I still miss it.

Mick9abf

War Hero
Try Googling; Wax Jackets made for Stockman on Horse back mainly but do a number of different styles.
I was been facetious mate, I’ve seen the Dryzabone stuff before years ago, your forgetting we’re on arrse and have to keep up appearances!!!

Next people will be saying you can’t wear a Barbour while using an auto to slay game...... wait a minute..... =-D

I was been facetious mate, I’ve seen the Dryzabone stuff before years ago, your forgetting we’re on arrse and have to keep up appearances!!!

Next people will be saying you can’t wear a Barbour while using an auto to slay game...... wait a minute..... =-D

they look proper gay.

Barbours? I wouldn't have one i used to take people out fishing on the Irish western lakes which are like inland seas on an unsettled day.
in persistant rain barbours are simply not up to the job. Stiff as **** in the cold .smelly on a warm day
The local boys who are not to concerned about labels.will use a council rubberised jacket simply because they will keep out water.

L
Ooked at one, considered it then bought a barbour. I have not been disappointed in it. I made the correct decision.

Unusually.
ISWYDT

Latest Threads