Barbour Jackets 'matter of taste' thread

Oyibo

LE
Yesterday, fueled by France's finest plonk, I decided it was time I bought a Barbour jacket. I had memories of friends in the Army who had unlined wax jackets under their smock. Inspired by this, I thought something similar would be ideal for travelling between a fairly mountainous part of Europe (cold-ish and often wet) and West Africa (hot, and sometimes very wet indeed).

A lightweight load-carrier was what I was after. Sadly the wine got the better of me and I bought the Barbour Commando Cowen Heritage instead:

1551911426783.png

I've yet to see how it does, but I was interested in other people's experiences of the pros and cons of different types of Barbour waxed jackets. Feel free to call me a mong for buying one with DPM accents!

I`ve had a heavy one , a Bushman for years for shooting but I get too hot when walking any distance in it, okay for standing around on driven shoots.

Vile greasy things. You might have been better advised in going for one of their unwaxed ones; mine is a 'breathable', which is very hardwearing, reasonably light and wearable in summer but excellent in winter over some woolly. 22 or so years, washed once and repaired at the pocket tops twice.

Aren’t they an indicator for homosexual doggers?

If you like it, no other justification needed.
Ive got a barbour beaufort that's slowly ageing with me. Not the most flattering cut, but great with a chunky sweater on cooler days.

Oyibo

LE
Why not just the plain green one? What possessed you to get the one with DPM?
I was looking on Fleabay and it was a damn sight cheaper than the 'A550' old green ones - they seem to be something of a collector's item now.

Mrs.B&B just got a dark blue one at Beatties closing down sale.
Classic.

Personally speaking. I love Barbour. It still remains relatively chav free.

Oyibo

LE
Vile greasy things. You might have been better advised in going for one of their unwaxed ones; mine is a 'breathable', which is very hardwearing, reasonably light and wearable in summer but excellent in winter over some woolly. 22 or so years, washed once and repaired at the pocket tops twice.
Do the unwaxed ones have any degree of waterproofing? At home I'd be mostly taking the dog for a walk in forestry areas in rain, snow, wind etc. Travelling I just like to load the pockets up with phones, wallet, and other stuff with which one cannot walk through the detectors. West Africa - very heavy rain at times.

What model is your jacket?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I always associate Barbour with that smell of must and wet dog that seems to be the norm whenever anyone wears one.

Don't like the cut, look, feel or smell but what topped it for me was when I was at Gleneages one week and an entire family from about 6yrs to 80yrs and all in between were all playing croquet on the lawn and every single one was in full Barbour attire.

My sensibilities couldn't handle it. I also just feel they're very impractical - it really is just about the look / brand as far as I can see.

Do the unwaxed ones have any degree of waterproofing? At home I'd be mostly taking the dog for a walk in forestry areas in rain, snow, wind etc. Travelling I just like to load the pockets up with phones, wallet, and other stuff with which one cannot walk through the detectors. West Africa - very heavy rain at times.

What model is your jacket?
You're going to sweat your nuts off wearing that in West Africa

Oyibo

LE
there was also an all dpm barbour. The material was quite different from the weave on the normal barbour, and it was waxed. The result was not quite as waterproof as the original and it never caught on. I knw, becaue in a moment of madness I bought one thirty years ago and changed my mind after being caught out in a torrential downpour and soaked wet through.

Latest Threads