Barbour jacket cleaning/repairs

Old-Salt
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a barbour cleaned and re waxed? Also need a bit of stitching done.

I've googled and seen a few places but wondered if anyone on arrse has any recommendations

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a barbour cleaned and re waxed? Also need a bit of stitching done.

I've googled and seen a few places but wondered if anyone on arrse has any recommendations

If London based, there's a Barbour shop on Commercial St, just off Spitalfields Market.

Hi all,

Barbour will do any necessary repairs that you might require, but it might cost an arm....

Zip snagged on mine,sent it back complaining.After one negative reply,I complained again and they changed zip and repaired frayed edges on cuffs.They will clean and reproof,but as someone mentioned,it's very pricey.I used to re-proof my own,a messy job.

There is a Barbour discount store in Bicester.

I brought a set of motorbike trouser there a few weeks back at a very reasonable price.

Stock on the shop floor seems to change weekly, but ask the staff if what you want is not on display as there is a ton of stuff in the back. A few weeks back it was all International Trials Jackets and Trousers, today all girly stuff and children wear.

The Staff seem OK and happy to help. (Unlike the staff in a similar store a few door's down selling similar products at three times the cost of Barbour).

Barbour factory will do repairs see the Barbour webpage for contact details or ask in a Barbour store.

I remember I was issued a Barbour heavy weight trials jacket and trousers when I was issued a CAN AM Bombardier in 1982. The QM wanted the Barbour kit back when I was posted but told me to take the CAN AM with me!!!!

Crikey, clean a barbour ? Cold water and a scrubbing brush on a flat surface - no soap or anything like it. Drip dry somewhere warm. When dry, get yourself a couple of pints of your favourite beer, favourite dvd, tin of barbour wax, cloth and a hairdryer. Warm the wax, warm the area you are going to start waxing, stick on dvd, take a swig of beer and slowly work wax in with cloth with help from the hairdryer. Little area at a time and don't go mad. It's not a quick job, but hopefully beer and dvd makes it less tedious.
Ps - use newspaper to keep wax off the carpet and furnishings or the missus will not be pleased.

deefadog

Old-Salt
As @jarrod says get yourself upto South Shields to the factory shop it really is amazing the amount of jackets you can get for varying prices talking minimum £20 none returnable to £100 (unable to spot what's wrong ) but returnable if not happy for some reason

Years ago I sent my jacket off to Barbour. It came back a few weeks later re-waxed, leather bound cuffs, new elbows, new zip, various patches, half a new back and a completely refurbed lining! And if I recall correctly, all at a very reasonable whack.

The next time I sent it back, they sent it back saying it was finally beyond rescue.

http://www.barbour.com/repairs_reproofing

Barbour will do any necessary repairs that you might require, but it might cost an arm....
I needed new pocket liners for my ancient and much loved Northumbria. They sent them and when I asked where the invoice was they told me there wasn't one. They'd previously done some cuff repairs and reproofing at modest charge.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
As @jarrod says get yourself upto South Shields to the factory shop it really is amazing the amount of jackets you can get for varying prices talking minimum £20 none returnable to £100 (unable to spot what's wrong ) but returnable if not happy for some reason
And cords in last years fashions, whatever they are.
Worth a trip from any end of the country, they've loads of bargains.

JAD

LE
I have just recovered my trusty Mascot Marksman Jacket from the garden shed, which was labour intensifly DIY re-proofed last Autumn by the author and then packed away (for a rainy day). Unfortunately on recovering the jacket from its golden slumbers, I was hit with a smell that can only be described as a cross between a wet dog and an crazy American serial killers musty attic. I need the jacket over the BH as I have been invited on a shoot FFS. Any suggestions on getting rid of the funk, that doesn't include cold water soaking and re-proofing again.

Sponge the outside with cold water, use fabreeze on the inside lining.

Hang it on the line for the next 3 days.

It'll still smell, but it should lose its most offensive edge...

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Spray water bottle with a mix of water and white vinegar. Spray lining, take it out and hang it on the line until dry. Smelly pockets, bicarb of soda when dry. It seems to suck all they smell out of it.
Somebody even suggested pouring bicarb into a binbag. Put the coat in the bag and hang it up for a clatter of days. With the bag sealed.
Haven't tried that one yet.

I used a jet washer on mine. Then a tin of warm wax and season 1 of Bosch...

Latest Threads