Barbour combat jacket

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by woody, Oct 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didnt think barbour still did camoflage jackets but they do .Does anyone
    know of anyone who wears one in the field or are they the perserve of hunters, fishermen etc

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wore one during a 4 month stay at Kelly's Garden, 2fd RA PRI in Munster was selling them for 250 Dm in 1984, I havent seen them since but it was really waterproof and Warm enough for stagging on but a tad warm when Tabbing. Flogged it to one of the OC rover group 4 years later when it got so black as to not be DPM any more.

3. Saw them in the factory outlet shop at gunwharf £115 ideal for standing
    around or driving but I would hate to tab any distance in one

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is that in Pompey, I'm in Hampshire every other saturday and would like one for the foul weather I encounter when deer stalking, plus to see if the y are as I remember.

5. yeah barbour shop in gunwharf also perfect place for a bit of chav hunting. but you could say that about all of portsmouth genrally :lol:
    It has a good range of other barbour stuff as well as the camo jackets

6. Bloody hell, a typing dog!

7. I thought Barbours were banned because they go up like a roman candle when set on fire?

Trotsky

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Never stopped us wearing the pu nylon crap and that stuff would melt in sunlight. Oh she's a bitch by the way!

9. Very popular with the troop and the det in NI 15 years ago or so, but I haven't seen one in a long while. I think Gore-tex etc gets the nod these days.

10. I always found a barbour too noisy for stalking, you'd be better off with a swandri or something like that. They do keep the water out and are warm as hell.

I've seen the DPM barbour in gunwharf too, it looks weird. You'd need some significant rank to avoid getting reamed for wearing that!

11. If you can be arsed then using Barbour wax on CS95 jackets produces an awesome effect, it provides maximum waterproofing without the weight and sweat.

I used to do it years ago in 5 AB and still have a buckshee jacket now

12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Never a problem on ops wearing a suitable waterproof. Mind you anything was better than a poncho or Crisp packet. I stalk normally wearing a smock but will put a Barbour Durham underneath if it is pissing down. Mind you as I go when I want I can skip the rain if I feel like it. Not that I do!

Stag on!

14. I remember those! They always seemed to lose theor 'DPM-ness', but looked quite cool when new.

I've got one of the old army issue Babours for despatch riders. It isn't DPM but to all intents and purposes it is a Babour combat jacket. I use it for shooting, riding going to the pub and just about everything else. Tops!