Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barbarians - Romans Vs Germans on Netflix

Anyone seen this?

Presumably covers Varus and his unfortunate camping trip into the Teutoberg forest after Hermann the jerman betrayed him.

The last Das Boot series was utterly abysmal, hopefully this won't be the same PC bullshyt. I expect to see a black chieftain and a lesbo soirée between Roman noble ladies.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
It starts saying that Rome was the greatest empire the world has ever seen and we all know that isn't true.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Binge watched it at work yesterday, not too shabby, cubbed into English, apart from when the Romans are speaking Latin and it reverts to subtitles.

Managed 5 minutes. Utter fcuking drivel.

That is all..

philc

LE
Starts out with Eric’s thinking they are superior but the Eyties drop them in the poo around 1943 and 2010 rinse and repeat.

Yep, I liked it - if you like it you might also like Vikings which is also good.

Just started watching it. Doesn't seem much on HBO's Rome. Too many middle aged and balding blokes with beer bellies cutting about whereas I imagine there would be far more younger people due to the higher death rate in the ancient world and certainly no fatties. They all look a little bit too clean too.

Lasted 10 mins into it. Utter pish.
Vikings wannabe...which was great

Not that sold on the storyline and the dubbing made the dialogue sound a bit amateurish, but I liked hearing the Romans speak actual Latin and the military details were fairly good. Probably a few too many Lorica Segmentata for AD9 (although we now know from the archaeology that it was worn at Teutoburger Wald), but nice details on the armour and I liked the fact that they even had a variation in Legionary helmets (as again was probably the case).

Just started watching it. Doesn't seem much on HBO's Rome. Too many middle aged and balding blokes with beer bellies cutting about whereas I imagine there would be far more younger people due to the higher death rate in the ancient world and certainly no fatties. They all look a little bit too clean too.

Again, yes to the fatties, but of course the rebellion started amongst the tribes the Romans thought they had civilised - if anything, I thought they were a bit too grubby and rustic (although some of the women were wearing Romanised dress, which would have been the case)

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
The Germans are hugely proud of their defeat of Varus but strangely silent when the follow up campaigns of Tiberius and Germanicus are mentioned- whaled the Utter tar out of them. Does the tv series cover that part?

I lasted halfway through the second episode then binned it.

Anyone seen this?

Presumably covers Varus and his unfortunate camping trip into the Teutoberg forest after Hermann the jerman betrayed him.

The last Das Boot series was utterly abysmal, hopefully this won't be the same PC bullshyt. I expect to see a black chieftain and a lesbo soirée between Roman noble ladies.
It is the same romanticised and glamourised BS as the Das Boot series. The cameltoe obvious female warrior clad in the skin of a wild black Latex she presumably tracked and slew in its lair in a Reeperbahn sex shop tells you all you need to know.

There is already a parody under way Bra Barey Buns
Catchy

Not that sold on the storyline and the dubbing made the dialogue sound a bit amateurish, but I liked hearing the Romans speak actual Latin and the military details were fairly good. Probably a few too many Lorica Segmentata for AD9 (although we now know from the archaeology that it was worn at Teutoburger Wald), but nice details on the armour and I liked the fact that they even had a variation in Legionary helmets (as again was probably the case).
We don’t want historical accuracy, we want blood, guts and rumpy-pumpy. Bit like Spartacus with that bird who kept getting them out (Linda or Lizzie Something or Other, wasn’t it?)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Germans are hugely proud of their defeat of Varus but strangely silent when the follow up campaigns of Tiberius and Germanicus are mentioned- whaled the Utter tar out of them. Does the tv series cover that part?
Nah.

Latest Threads