BARB test

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Speakman425, Sep 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Can anyone tell me about the BARB touch screen test ? ive heard its maths, english and common sense questions.

What sort of questions (give examples if you can) are on it and is it hard ?

Thanks from Mike,

2. When you go to the ACIO they will give you a booklet with examples in. You should get some time to read this before (a week or so probably) you sit the test.

Don't worry, its straight forward.

3. Fred is taller than Mike.

Who is the tallest?

Piece of pi$$.

4. Sounds simple enuff lol what about the maths questions ? Maths has never been my strong point.

Mike,

5. I hope English isn't your strong point either.

6. There are no maths questions on the BARB. The 5 tests are:

Reasoning: Statement, question, 2 possible answers. Peasy.
    Pairs: 4 boxes with 2 letters in each, upper and lower case. Work out how many boxes contain the same letter. Mlar easy.
    Number distance: Work out the middle sized number of 3 on the screen, touch the number furthest away in size. Piece of pi55.
    Odd one out: 3 words, 2 connected in some way (mean the same or are opposites) 1 word WILDLY unconnected. A gift.
    Symbol rotation. 2 boxes, with either the letter "F" or the same letter but mirror image. Symbols appear rotated through 90, 180 or 270 degrees. Work out how many boxes could be pairs (0, 1 or 2). Takes the most time on the test.

The score you get (General Trainability Index GTI) is not an IQ or a % of what you got correct. The test is psychometric therefore will quantify your "trainability". The higher the score, the more "trainable" you are deemed to be. All Army jobs have a GTI score (Inf 101 the lowest I believe at 27, Int Corps or RMP in the 60s).

BTW a high GTI is no guarantee of getting the job you want. Alot of jobs need to be backed up by GCSEs etc.

Practice with the book your recruiter gives you and you will be fine I promise. Unless you are a Mlar.

Best of luck.

7. Thanks for the info, I was sh*itting myself thinking i would fail it becouse of some of the number questions but it seems to be very easy, I'm going for infantry so i should be aiming for 27 and above ? which wont be hard at all ?

Also i heard you have to sit an English and Maths test to get into the infanty ?

Thanks for all the help.

8. On this subject, I have been told that you canonly ever sit the BARB test twice.

As I am re-enlisting into a different Corps my ACIO told me I would have to do my BARB again.

Is this the case?

BTW I did it fist in 1996 and again in '98

thanks

9. EDIT: Tracking the wrong thread!

10. I would expect there would be different rules for your situation (however, I am only guessing, but it wouldn't make sense to not allow you to re enter on the basis of you've fulfilled all your BARB allowance!!!!)

11. No you can sit the BARB test up to three times in a year but need a gap of at least 28 days between tests. Remember though what ever score you got first time you lose so be careful that by re-sitting it you dont get a lower score and lose jobs you could of previously done with your old score.

Also in your case as a re-enlister you will probably have to do your entire selection again plus maybe Basic and phase 2 depending on what the SPSO says at Glasgow on your 203 (special enlistment authority) Your recruiter will explain it more when he gets it back from MCM. Its all dependant on how long youve been out and if the new Corp/Regiment your trying to change to accepts your application.

12. I got 59 in a mock test. Easy mate.. just be quick thinking while still deep thinking

13. did my barb 2 days ago got 56 with that i had a choice of most jobs in the army its easy but make sure you study the booklet.

14. I passed it blindfolded, no, literally blindfolded. I still got a score of 62.

If you dont know an answer, guess, or put on a blindfold!

15. Cheers guys,

I have been told that I will have to do basic and Phase 2 again as I am changing Corps, BARB also, not been told about selection yet though :(

Time will tell but probably!!