BARB test

There are a couple of BARB test examples on the main Army web site - does anyone know of any links to download more examples to do at home in preparation ?
:?

Sorry mate, we live overseas, we haven't got that far - my son is in the "information gathering" phase. He is British, but has lived all his life in Norway, so English is not his mother tongue, so he wants to get some practice in.

As an oversea applicant, he can't register online, so we are going to call a recruiting office soon, to book a tour to the UK for him, to get things started.

In the meantime, preparation is the word !

(Whats an AFCO ?)

phibeck said:
Sorry mate, we live overseas, we haven't got that far - my son is in the "information gathering" phase. He is British, but has lived all his life in Norway, so English is not his mother tongue, so he wants to get some practice in.

As an oversea applicant, he can't register online, so we are going to call a recruiting office soon, to book a tour to the UK for him, to get things started.

In the meantime, preparation is the word !

(Whats an AFCO?)
An AFCO is an Armed Forces Careers Office, you may also come across ACIO which is an Army Careers Information Office

Really the BARB Test is rather easy, should have no trouble with it at all. Just make sure he is awake lol I was half sleeping and made a couple of silly mistakes.

meshellxxx said:
He will do fine! I was worrying about the test and the basic skills like you wouldn't believe!!! Nothing too fret about at all.
I'll pass on your message, (though I will still insist that he does the sample tests!)

I can introduce army discipline into the home as a "run-up" to basic training!

Mmmm - his army plans give many possibilities for a parent :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

For what it is worth, you should contact ACIO Strand which is across from Charing Cross train station, the Overseas recruiting team is located there and they generally deal with any applicants coming across from foreign shores.

However i would disagree with the applying online statement, because you most definitely can and lots of the paperwork can be done prior to you coming over to the UK :)

Also i would advise that because English isnt actually his first language, that he makes sure his English Speaking & Listening is to a modest standard as he will be required to sit a basic skills test, and also show that he can listen to and follow instructions, and more importantly relate back to the interviewers etc. Lots of foreign and commonwealth applicants fall foul at this stage ;)

As for the BARB test, anyone with a degree of common sense can pass the test with no practice at all, and having not seen the practice booklet, the score however can often reflect that, and whilst it is very easy to tell someone not to worry about sitting it, for most applicants it can be quite worrying.

But there is nothing to worry about it with it.

Lastly he is going to be restricted to what jobs he can apply for, simply because for any security cleared jobs (which includes lots of the technician type trades) he would have had to have lived in the UK for the last 5 years (or near as damn it).

All the best

It will only open up every job if an applicant is eligible in all other criteria ;)

By that i mean GCSE's as the BARB score is filtered against GCSE qualifications.

And if you really need to be paying for literature to practice what is essentially a common sense reasoning test then something is wrong ;)

Also bear in mind that the test questions are random, you can revise to a point but as its essentially a perception based test that gives an indication of how 'trainable' you are for a given job there is only so far you can get.

It is quite simple, the higher BARB scores come from those that work through it as quick as possible making the least mistakes.

People really shouldnt worry about it, and everything you need to know is in the booklet, which as long as you have had that for 24 hours then there is no reason why the test can't be passed.

Lastly, it is an extremely small minority that actually fail this test outright, however whilst that is the case, a big minority fail to score high enough for the job they were hoping to get.

fivetodo said:
For what it is worth, you should contact ACIO Strand which is across from Charing Cross train station, the Overseas recruiting team is located there and they generally deal with any applicants coming across from foreign shores.

However i would disagree with the applying online statement, because you most definitely can and lots of the paperwork can be done prior to you coming over to the UK :)

Also i would advise that because English isnt actually his first language, that he makes sure his English Speaking & Listening is to a modest standard as he will be required to sit a basic skills test, and also show that he can listen to and follow instructions, and more importantly relate back to the interviewers etc. Lots of foreign and commonwealth applicants fall foul at this stage ;)

As for the BARB test, anyone with a degree of common sense can pass the test with no practice at all, and having not seen the practice booklet, the score however can often reflect that, and whilst it is very easy to tell someone not to worry about sitting it, for most applicants it can be quite worrying.

But there is nothing to worry about it with it.

Lastly he is going to be restricted to what jobs he can apply for, simply because for any security cleared jobs (which includes lots of the technician type trades) he would have had to have lived in the UK for the last 5 years (or near as damn it).

All the best
Lots of useful info there ... thx. We had just printed out the list to see which office we should contact - and you came with the answer!

We have gone over to speaking English at home, and he is going to get some "homework" from an International School not far away.

I'm not sure the "5 year" restriction will restrict him too much. His list as it stands is Royal Signals Operator (not technician), RMP, and RLC (driver).

My task is just to get him up to speed in those areas which put him at a disadvantage through not livng in the UK.