BARB Test Practice Questions

Ozzy00

Clanker
I am preparing to join the British Army. Hence I would need to adequately prepare for the BARB TEST. Does anyone know where I can download the soft copy of practice questions to practice independently offline. The ones I have seen so far are online practice questions and I don't want that.

I'd appreciate your responses.

Hey there I replied to your other post but thought I would put it here as well incase anyone else needs this info

The ACT (Army Cognitive Test) is the mindmill cognitive test and I found online a booklet that is very similar to the one we got at selection and it still covers the tests

I have attached it to this post
Regards
Ozzy

Attachments

The_Duke

LE
Your first post on this was in the correct part of the forum - this one isn’t.

The question has been asked and answered time after time. Please search the recruiting forum before starting new threads.

Last edited:
Hey there I replied to your other post but thought I would put it here as well incase anyone else needs this info

The ACT (Army Cognitive Test) is the mindmill cognitive test and I found online a booklet that is very similar to the one we got at selection and it still covers the tests

I have attached it to this post
Regards
Ozzy
Thanks so much Mate. I appreciate.

Your first post in this was in the correct part of the forum - this one isn’t.

The question has been asked and answered time after time. Please search the recruiting forum before starting new threads.
Thanks for your response Duke. I am a new member here and wasn't quite certain on where to post my enquiries. Do you have any direct link as to where I can find more Army Cognitive Practice Test Questions? Thanks.

The_Duke

LE

Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gents, your attention please!

As of 20/11/2017 the BARB will be replaced by the Army Cognitive Test (ACT)

This assumes that the computer system transfer has all gone smoothly and everything is working.

The ACT is similar to the BARB. It still measures how trainable you are through a series of 5 tests.

New applicants will do "screenshot" before they attend assessment.. This is a short version of the test to give a general idea of how trainable you are and the result can be used to recommend suitable jobs. The screenshot test is accessed through the application portal and you'll need to do it on a proper computer/laptop/tablet because doing it on a phone is an absolute nightmare and will negatively impact your test score. If you don't have access to a computer then speak to your local AFCO and they should be able to provide you access. The full test will be done at the assessment centre in order to ensure that the score that was generated by the screenshot is accurate and that nobody was cheating.

Those that are currently "in flight" on their assesment journey will just do the full test when they get to the assessment centre.

Valid BARB scores will be honoured and will remain valid for the time period given.
The ACT generates a score that is the same as the BARB. If you have a valid BARB score for the job you want and it is still in date then you are good to go.

Every job in the army has a trainability score attached to it. You need to achieve certain scores to do specific jobs. If you don't get the score required for your job choice there is no leeway, but there are retest options which will be explained at an appropriate point.

You'll be given a booklet on the ACT in the evening when you attend assessment. You'll be given a brief on the ACT before you take it and there are practice questions built into the test itself.

At the beginning of each section you'll be given a set of instructions. Make sure you read and remember the instructions. You will then be given a series of practice questions. These questions need to be answered correctly in order to move on to the main body of the test. Pay attention to the questions and if you are getting them wrong, take the time to understand why you are getting them wrong. Don't just hit the same wrong answer over and over.

The main body of the test measures speed and accuracy. Each section is timed. Don't worry about how long it is or keeping track of time. You just need to work quickly and correctly answer as many questions as possible. The faster you go, the more you answer, the higher your score.

The sections are broken down as follows:

Section 1 - Orientation

The first section will ask you to remember and apply two rules in order to find the correct pair of arrows.

Two rules will be displayed to you. You will click next and be shown a selection of arrows. You will then select your answer and move on to the next question.

One of the rules will tell you which way the arrows are pointing. "Up left ABOVE up left" will tell you that both arrows in the pair are pointing up and to the left. "Down right BELOW up right" tells you that the arrow on top will be pointing up and to the right and the arrow below it will be pointing down and to the right. "Up", "down", "left", and "right" are the only directions used.

The other rule will tell you the colour of the arrows. "White ABOVE black" tells you that the arrow on top is white and the one below it is black. "Black BELOW white" would also tell you that the arrow on top is white and the one below it is black. "Black" and "white" are the only colours used.

Once you have read and remembered the rules, you will press the "next" button and the rules will vanish. You'll be shown 6 pairs of arrows and you must recall the rules to identify the correct pair to select.

If you are presented with the rules "Down right ABOVE up left" and "white BELOW black", you would be looking for a pair of arrows that has a black arrow on top pointing down and to the right, with a white arrow pointing up and to the left below it.

Section 2 - Error Detection

You will be shown an "original" piece of information and a "copy". The copy may have mistakes and it is your job to identify how many mistakes there are. The answer of how many mistakes there are will be between 0 and 4.

The original information and the copy are displayed on the screen. You will press the "next" button and the information will vanish. You'll have 5 buttons with 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 on them. Press the button that matches your answer and it will move on to the next question.

The information can involve letters, numbers and symbols.

If you are presented with " sda806@yre.com " and " sda306@pre.vom " you would note that there are 3 differences. You would press "next" and then "3" on the next screen.

The information is presented in an "over under" fashion so it is easier to check for errors.

Section 3 - Number Fluency

You will be shown two maths sums individually. You must work out the answer to each sum and then say which has the greater answer.

Remember that " x " means multiply (or times). " / " means divide. " + " is add. " - " is subtract (or take away).

For example, the first sum you are shown is 9x6. You will work out the answer in your head. The answer to that sum is 54. Remember this number. You will then press the "next" button.

The second sum is displayed. The sum reads 7+48. You will work out the answer in your head again. The answer to that sum is 55. Remember this number. You will then press the "next" button.

You will then be shown a screen with three buttons labelled "Top", "Bottom" and "Same". You will compare the answer to the two sums in your head. The answer to the top sum was 54, the answer to the bottom sum was 55. 55 is more than 54, the bottom answer is bigger, so "bottom" is the answer. If the number on top is greater you would hit "top". If the answer to both sums is the same you would hit "same".

Section 4 - Word Rules

You will be shown three categories followed by three items. It is your job to see how many of the items match the category.

The first line will show you something like "Fish Fish Transport". You will hit the "next" button and it will vanish. You'll then be shown three items, in this case "Tuna Barracuda Train". You will hit the "next" button and be presented with buttons with 0 to 3 on them. You have to click on the number that corresponds with the amount of items that match the categories. The first category was "fish". The first item was "Tuna". Tuna is a fish so we have one match so far. The second category was also "fish". The second item was "Barracuda". Barracuda is a fish so we have another match. The third category was "transport". The third item was "train". A train is a type of transport. That is a third match so the answer would be three.

Another example would be "Tool Tool Fish" followed by "Shark Saw Screwdriver". A shark is not a tool so the first is not a match. A saw is a tool so that is us up to one match. A screwdriver is not a fish, so we stay at one match and the answer would be 1.

Section 5 - Deductive Reasoning

You will be shown 2 statements and a question about those two statements.

The statements and the question will be shown on the screen. You will hit "next" and then the answer options will appear as the statements and the question vanish.

An example:

"Valley colder than River"
"Mountain colder than river"
"What is hottest?"

Click, that text goes away and three buttons appear with "Valley", "Mountain" and "River" on them. Both the mountain and the valley are colder than the river, so "river" is going to be your answer as it is the hottest.

Another example:

"Shark further than Trout"
"Salmon further than Shark"
"What is nearest?"

Put the items in order in your head. Imagine yourself stood and you can see a trout. Behind the trout is a shark. Behind the shark is a salmon. The thing closest to you is the trout, so that is your answer.

And that is that. Get the questions right and get them right quickly to get a high score. If you have any questions then point them to your AFCO or CSM. The staff at the assessment centres will hammer you with information on this test while you are there.

Good luck.

Latest Threads