BARB, Literacy and Maths Test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by MrPositive, Jul 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys and Gals,

Quick question...I have my BARB test coming up soon and was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Literacy and Maths tests that I'll also apparently be getting on the same day.

I would like to think I'm fairly confident on the BARB test however I have no clue what to expect for the Literacy and Maths tests?? Neither of these subjects have been my strong point during or even after school. Does anyone know or can anyone remember what kinds of questions i should expect?? Is there anything imparticualr I should be revising for etc??

Thanks all for your help and time! :D
  2. I don't really think it's anything you can revise for. It's just reading stuff and looking for spelling mistakes. Or remembering things that you have read. It's pretty straight forward and not hard at all...unless your a dunce!

And, Welcome to Arrse!
  3. Both the BARB and basic skills tests are very straightforward and easy to pass.

BARB - just work as fast and as accurately as possible through the test.
    Basic Skills - this is basic addition, subtraction, graph reading and grammar test.

Revision wise, there isn't much you can do really for the BARB test.

As for the basic skills test, try
  4. I recommend this site.

Its pretty much keyskills Numeracy and Literacy.

Nothing hard about it at all, you have 60mins[i think] for each test, I spent 20mins each on them.

Barb test, sit close to the screen, with your hands always up. Those extra split seconds could count
  5. I did mine just over a month ago and i found it fine. The literacy had quite a few questions where you had to find the wrong spellings and correct them. There were also a few questions on gramma as well. just make sure you listen/read the question properly. The maths again fine and you just need to make sure you read the question properly. i think i had a question to do with VAT and another on volume.
  6. how come i never did literacy or a numeracy test i only did the BARB?
  7. Expect it soon. How far are you through application?
  8. I did the Lit+Num test 5 weeks after doing the BARB.

You'll probably receive a letter soon with date when you have to do it.
  9. Sorry for the late reply...had trouble getting on this site for some reason, kept getting a funky error message.

Anyway thanks to everyone for their responces, i'll defo check out that site!!
  10. i got my selection at lichfield on the 14th of august and my recruiter hasn't asked me to go back to AFCO and i've had my joining instructions and travel warrant?
  11. Sounds like you've got away with not having to do it.
  12. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Don't bet on it, they quite often do them at the ATR. Remedial training is then offered for the biffs.
  13. would it have anything to do with that i passed all of my gcse's or isit completely different?
  14. what you mean when i start basic i'll have to do them?
  15. Dont worry about it anyway, the kind of stuff you got back in primary school and early high school. Far from GCSE and A Level study.