BARB & AOSB Aptitude Tests

Hi there,

I'm currently in the application process and waiting to be booked onto AOSB. I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advice regarding the various cognitive/aptitude tests.

During the online phase of the application I was asked to complete a brief cognitive test (ACT) on the career portal which was to be used to assess which roles I'd be most suited for. I got the score I needed for my preferred role but only just (I was hoping to get higher so my candidacy for that particular role could be strengthened).

I understand that at AOSB we complete another batch of aptitude tests but I'm a little confused as to whether these represent different cognitive tests to supplement the online ACT or whether they represent a second attempt at the same type of questions in the initial test.

I received the score I need in my attempt but I feel I could have done better, how important is that initial test? and are the aptitude tests done at aosb more/less important and do they test the same/different attributes?

Also a quick follow up, how important are these early aptitude tests in your regiment choice? Do they form a big part of the criteria you are judged on when you finish training and are being assigned to a regiment, or are these aptitude tests to basically get you in the door and your performance at training represents the more significant factor in terms of regiment allocation?

Apologies if these questions have been asked before, and I know the situation might be different than usual given Covid. I'm very new to the process but trying to learn as much as I can! Any help would be appreciated! Cheers!

WatchingWater

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
The aptitude tests you complete at the AOSB Briefing and Main Board will be different in nature to the test you have done already. The tests at the Briefing are more like traditional IQ tests, covering abstract thinking, maths and verbal reasoning.

The Main Board adds general knowledge and memory testing on top of this.

As far as I understand, the IQ testing count from both of these events, but I'm not sure of the weighting of the online ACT (it may just be used for screening purposes).

I'm pretty sure your performance at Sandhurst will be the thing looked at most, if you're doing well at Sandhurst academically, I doubt they will be looking too much into an online test that you took right at the start of your application.

I noticed you mentioned you did the online cognitive test in your portal. I completed mine a few days back too, with regards to the results, are these emailed or distributed to you in some way or are we to wait until our *currently virtual* interview?
thanks

WatchingWater

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
I noticed you mentioned you did the online cognitive test in your portal. I completed mine a few days back too, with regards to the results, are these emailed or distributed to you in some way or are we to wait until our *currently virtual* interview?
thanks
I never saw the results, and my CSM didn’t have access to them. I think the AOSB team have access to them, or it might just be a pass/fail score, I don’t really know.

Tingtang22

Clanker
thanks

I got told my result by my CSM during my zoom interview, so maybe you will then :)