BARACK OBAMAs Plan for Iraq

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

My Plan for Iraq

By BARACK OBAMA
    Published: July 14, 2008

CHICAGO — The call by Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki for a timetable for the removal of American troops from Iraq presents an enormous opportunity. We should seize this moment to begin the phased redeployment of combat troops that I have long advocated, and that is needed for long-term success in Iraq and the security interests of the United States.

The differences on Iraq in this campaign are deep. Unlike Senator John McCain, I opposed the war in Iraq before it began, and would end it as president. I believed it was a grave mistake to allow ourselves to be distracted from the fight against Al Qaeda and the Taliban by invading a country that posed no imminent threat and had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks. Since then, more than 4,000 Americans have died and we have spent nearly $1 trillion. Our military is overstretched. Nearly every threat we face — from Afghanistan to Al Qaeda to Iran — has grown.

Link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/opinion/14obama.html?em&ex=1216180800&en=1e19335be0e1e1c9&ei=5087%0A

2. I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

3. Trippy,

Obama's plan for Iraq (at least from the copy and paste job you threw together without even bothering to leave a comment) seems plenty sound to me. If we had this kind of leadership before 2004, we wouldn't have got to this point where the Iraqis are actually capable of throwing us out if they really wanted to.

They have us by the balls, man. If tomorrow they woke up and said, "thanks, we will take it from here," I promise you that no weapon in our arsenal will buy us an extra month in their country.

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I agree with the US Commanders with boots on the ground! (T_W)

Obama's Iraq Withdrawal Plan May Prove Difficult

U.S. Commanders in Iraq Warn of Security Dangers, See Logistical Nightmare

By MARTHA RADDATZ
    July 11, 2008

Whatever nuance Barack Obama is now adding to his Iraq withdrawal strategy, the core plan on his Web site is as plain as day: Obama would "immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months."

It is a plan that, no doubt, helped Obama get his party's nomination, but one that may prove difficult if he is elected president.

Sustainable Security
    Military personnel in Iraq are following the presidential race closely, especially when it comes to Iraq.

Link

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5351864&page=1

5. Trippy,

You will agree with anything and everything that comes out of the Bush Whitehouse. Boots on the ground is just another way of saying "shut up , general. You are paid to follow orders. Not to think."