• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Barack Obama pledges 10,000 more troops for Afghanistan

Senator Barack Obama has pledged to send more than 10,000 extra troops to Afghanistan if he becomes president, as he affirmed his intention to divert military resources from Iraq.
The Democratic Party's presidential nominee, writing in The New York Times yesterday, said that while US troops had performed "heroically" in Iraq, Afghanistan was the real frontline in the battle against al-Qa'eda.

The comments came a day after nine US soldiers were killed in a gun battle when al-Qa'eda-Taliban forces attacked a base in eastern Afghanistan, the deadliest attack they have suffered in three years.

Mr Obama added that the conditions that led him to oppose the war in Iraq and last year's "surge" of US forces had not altered.
Continues here.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...edges-10,000-more-troops-for-Afghanistan.html

Seems to me that the Iranians, seeing which way the wind is blowing in Iraq, have turned their attention to Afghanistan. Once we "surge" in Astan, the situation will deteriorate in Iraq forcing us to "resurge" there again.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I was going to make a joke along the lines of '10,000 U.S. soldiers or Jihadi's to fight the coalition' (relevant since the recent publication of this pic
. ) But I won't .

I am sure the US Military are absolutely thrilled that he has come up with this plan without consulting them at all and prior to his visit to either country. It must fill them full of confidence for the future.

Only last year he was making big vote me in waves regards pulling troops out. Is he Tony 180 in disguise? "Tony you require just double top". But.... "Oooone huuuundred and eiiiighty".

O2Thief said:
Only last year he was making big vote me in waves regards pulling troops out. Is he Tony 180 in disguise? "Tony you require just double top". But.... "Oooone huuuundred and eiiiighty".
Well, Obama was saying that about Iraq, not Afghanistan. He's been consistent in that sense

Chief_Joseph said:
O2Thief said:
Well, Obama was saying that about Iraq, not Afghanistan. He's been consistent in that sense
Yes, Obama is consistently inconsistant. He is also niggardly with facts and figures.

LEGZ30 said:
I am sure the US Military are absolutely thrilled that he has come up with this plan without consulting them at all and prior to his visit to either country. It must fill them full of confidence for the future.
Ahha, so that 10,000 before he makes his unanounced surprise visit with the whole washington press corps along for his secret trip. That, Sir, is not only milking the cow its giving it a full on blow job. sex education for teenageers next then Barry?

Synic, me? Nahhhh

And of course he's only a senator. The yanks may elect him president or not. It's their Tony Blair moment. The world may think he's the mutts nuts but, he'll fcuk up.

CQMS said:
And of course he's only a senator. The yanks may elect him president or not. It's their Tony Blair moment. The world may think he's the mutts nuts but, he'll fcuk up.
The only saving grace in November will be that I can "write in" a candidates name.

I was thinking of writing "None of the Above."

Any other suggestions?

Doesnt surge basically mean "tell all the blokes out there they are staying for another 6 months"?
Would not be the best thing for moral I am thinking.

Latest Threads