BAOR

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
**** me senseless, how many threads do we need on this? I count 4 now!

I thought it started OK, but spent 47 mins to get to 1960 and the remaining time for 1960-2015 so not very balanced. Could have done with a 3 or 4 part series showing BAOR 45-60, 61-75,76 - 89 then 89 - pres showing the change in role and also the attitude and mixing with the Germans in the later years. A bit rushed.

Q

quick-morser

That ex Lancers officers must have got dressed in the dark.

What revelations - people made friends with their neighbours and went to the naafi.

Utter bonk

E

exmunkey

That ex Lancers officers must have got dressed in the dark.

What revelations - people made friends with their neighbours and went to the naafi.

Utter bonk
I thought most officers dressed in the dark, which was why they keep wearing those loud colours

I thought it started OK, but spent 47 mins to get to 1960 and the remaining time for 1960-2015 so not very balanced. Could have done with a 3 or 4 part series showing BAOR 45-60, 61-75,76 - 89 then 89 - pres showing the change in role and also the attitude and mixing with the Germans in the later years. A bit rushed.
absolutely agree. It went into painstaking detail from '45 to '60. Then arguably, the most interesting bits from '89-'12 and looking beyond, were a hash job. The latter period could have made for a really interesting doc in its own right looking at changes in perceptions, social history and the role of BAOR into BFG. Pity.

It was the equivalent of a 7 year old writing in large letters before realising he'd run out of space on the right hand edge of the page!

I watched this the other night, I've not seen the other threads on this but does anyone know what the Roman numerals worn on the sleeve of the N.C.O shown in the late 50's? signify? They were below the regimental shoulder title and above theTRF. I know that around about this time, there was a short lived experiment with regional capbadges.

[QUOTE= the Roman numerals worn on the sleeve of the N.C.O shown in the late 50's? signify? They were below the regimental shoulder title and above theTRF. Quote

I know that in the Guards for a period they had the I or II below their shoulder title to indicate 1st or 2nd battalion.

absolutely agree. It went into painstaking detail from '45 to '60. Then arguably, the most interesting bits from '89-'12 and looking beyond, were a hash job. The latter period could have made for a really interesting doc in its own right looking at changes in perceptions, social history and the role of BAOR into BFG. Pity.

It was the equivalent of a 7 year old writing in large letters before realising he'd run out of space on the right hand edge of the page!
Love the comparison. Just sums it up right.

As RM we never went to Germany thank ****.......BAOR as in Bore.
Such ignorance expressed in only one sentence. You're like my daughter who says she can't stand mushrooms, but has never tried them!

As RM we never went to Germany thank ****.......BAOR as in Bore.
I did 8 years of BAOR, the novelty wore off after year 2, got to the point where they said next loc, "Alfeld" and I knew precisely which trees I was going to be tying my cam net to, at a later date, I didn't even need a route card. But somebody had to do it, and we did.

So, if we "Bore"d the Russians to defeat.... I'm happy with that.

Now go back to your PS3 slim and ask your mummy if you can stay up late.

Such ignorance expressed in only one sentence. You're like my daughter who says she can't stand mushrooms, but has never tried them!
Ignorance is bliss in the case of BORE. I do not need to drink a pint of liquid shite to know its crap. I have also had the pleasure of talking to Russian soldiers about the face off who did not have the wages or NAAFI to dull their even duller experiences of the war that never was.