BAOR zone in the closing weeks of the war?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by FEASG, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents
    Now that BFG is closing, I find myself remembering my formative years out there and realise I have no idea what happened in the BOAR zone in the closing weeks of the war. I belive that many of the garrison towns we all know so well were taken by the Americans as the British army was to the North.

Can anyone recommend a book that covers this part of the war. I have read lots of excellent books about the break out from Normandy but have seen any about the fighting in Germany.

Many thanks FEASG
  2. I have just read this mate which gives a bit of an insight To the Victor the Spoils: Sean Longden: Books
  3. I was looking for something more along the line of What Div took what town (Dry History),
    but having had a look at your link , I will give it a go.

Again Many thanks
  4. Not the sort of thing you`re looking for but worth a read. The author completed basic just as the war was ending and was posted to BAOR. Gives a very good picture of barrack life in the immediate aftermath. He describes the perks and the good living conditions compared to what the unfortunates back home had to put up with. When Pigeons Come Home to Roost: E. G. Vanlint, Graham Fawcus: Books
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Towards the final stages and below at endex:

and below the Zones as agreed. The UK and US withdrew from those parts of what became East Germany.

UK/US withdrew from the purple area which was part of the Soviet Occupied Zone (SOZ).:

Near Wittenberge well inside soon to be East Germany just at war's end:

The IX is presumably US XIX Corps.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. No Triumphant Procession: Forgotten Battles of April 1945 by John Russell is a good one, particularly for the area up and around Bergen-Hohne etc.
  7. Excellent! Thanks for all of your replies; I shall have a look at all your recommendations
  8. It's Holland rather than Germany but this unusual and I suspect not so well known account gives some idea of the fluid state of things immediately after the surrender.

9. Have a look at "Normandy to the Baltic by Field Marshall The Viscount Montgomery of Alamein"
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

11. Probably better to take a look at

White, Peter. With the Jocks: A Soldier´s Struggle for Europe 1944-45. Sutton Publishing, Stroud (GB), 2002. ISBN 0-7509-3057-8

He served as a platoon commander with 4 KOSB from Walcheren to Bremen and wrote a rather more "warts and all" account of war than you´ll get from Monty.

Seaweed´s suggestion is very good value as are

Kershaw, Ian. The End: The Defiance and Destruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945. The Penguin Press, New York, 2011. ISBN 978-1-59420-314-5

Taylor, Frederick. Exorcising Hitler: The Occupation and Denazification of Germany. Bloomsbury, London, 2012. ISBN 978-1-4088-2212-8

If you read German, its well worth having a look at

Koop, Volker. Besetzt: Britische Besatzungspolitik in Deutschland. be.bra verlag, Berlin, 2007. ISBN 978-3-89809-076-6

It is actually one of a quartet of books Koop has written about all four occupation zones - the difference in approach of the 4 allies to "their" Germans is quite an eye-opener.

As is the following book

Lowe, Keith. Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of World War II. Viking, London, 2012. ISBN 978-0-670-91746-4

which covers the turmoil in liberated Europe complete with ethnic cleansing, pogroms and population exchanges.
  12. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer