BAOR ORBAT July 1989 Version 8

PaulinBont

Clanker
Very interesting, thank you.

Most of my view of our area in the 1 Armd Div area was what I saw through the 6" x 3" glass port in the back doors of the 432!

Chalkster69

Swinger
Interesting stuff - thanks!!

P24 - 10 Regt RCT also supported HQ 1 BR Corp (MAN001 & MAN002) - they held most of the Staff box bodies & trailers and drove them whenever we were out & about. It may have been 14 Squadron, but don't quote me on that!

D

Last edited:
p106: from my recollection in 1989 29 Sig Regt consisted of an RHQ and HQ Sqn, 1 Sqn responsible for Sector Comms and 2 Sqn responsible for Berlin Bde Comms. 229 Sig Sqn did not come into existence until 1990/91 on the disbandment of 29 Sig Regt (the number 229 came from 2 Sqn of 29 Sig Regt because it effectively kept its role of comms support provision to HQ Berlin Inf Bde).
Even more minor point...

Regular Sig Sqns are all in the 200 series (eg 216, 244, 249, 264), so the first "2" in 229 did not come from 2 Sqn. The 29 did come from 29 SR being reduced to a Sqn, however. This is normal practice. 28(BR) Sig Regt reduced all the way to a troop in the NORTHAG/NATO role. If I tell you that regular independent troops are in the 600 series, it will be no surprise that 28 SR became, wait for it... 628 Sig Tp.

One of 7 Sig Regt's squadrons took on the number 228 when they all got individually numbered, but both to free it up for 28SR drawing down and to preserve the Berlin association, it just re-numbered to 229 when Berlin shut down. No people moved directly from Berlin to Krefeld, and the squadron in Krefeld just kept doing its job (which was nothing to do with Berlin), but did adopt the Berlin emblem, per your avatar.

Another example, 33 Sig Regt(V) reduced to a squadron of 32 Sig Regt, becoming 33 Sig Sqn. 42 Sqn of 33 Sig Regt reduced to a troop of 33 Sig Sqn, 32Sig Regt, being 842 Sig Tp.

42 Sig Sqn had been 42 Sig Regt in its own right in the 50s and 60s, and was itself named after 42 Division, the regional Div, which reduced to 42 Bde in Preston.

Even more minor point...

Regular Sig Sqns are all in the 200 series (eg 216, 244, 249, 264), so the first "2" in 229 did not come from 2 Sqn. The 29 did come from 29 SR being reduced to a Sqn, however. This is normal practice. 28(BR) Sig Regt reduced all the way to a troop in the NORTHAG/NATO role. If I tell you that regular independent troops are in the 600 series, it will be no surprise that 28 SR became, wait for it... 628 Sig Tp.

One of 7 Sig Regt's squadrons took on the number 228 when they all got individually numbered, but both to free it up for 28SR drawing down and to preserve the Berlin association, it just re-numbered to 229 when Berlin shut down. No people moved directly from Berlin to Krefeld, and the squadron in Krefeld just kept doing its job (which was nothing to do with Berlin), but did adopt the Berlin emblem, per your avatar.

Another example, 33 Sig Regt(V) reduced to a squadron of 32 Sig Regt, becoming 33 Sig Sqn. 42 Sqn of 33 Sig Regt reduced to a troop of 33 Sig Sqn, 32Sig Regt, being 842 Sig Tp.

42 Sig Sqn had been 42 Sig Regt in its own right in the 50s and 60s, and was itself named after 42 Division, the regional Div, which reduced to 42 Bde in Preston.
Cheers for that, I can recall 101 Log Bde Sig Sqn (261) drawing down into a troop-sized sub-unit beginning with 6.
I was in 43 (Wx) Sig Sqn (V) in the mid 80s (pre its 21 Sigs days) and the sqn traced it's lineage from 43 (Wx) Inf Div of WW2 fame. Another sqn in 37 Sig Regt (as was) was the Cardiff-based 53 (Welsh) Sig Sqn (V) who came from 53 (Welsh) Inf Div. Don't get me started on 67 (Queens Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry) Sig Sqn (V) though, they had their own stable belt and were dead to us!! :)

Cheers for that, I can recall 101 Log Bde Sig Sqn (261) drawing down into a troop-sized sub-unit beginning with 6.
I was in 43 (Wx) Sig Sqn (V) in the mid 80s (pre its 21 Sigs days) and the sqn traced it's lineage from 43 (Wx) Inf Div of WW2 fame. Another sqn in 37 Sig Regt (as was) was the Cardiff-based 53 (Welsh) Sig Sqn (V) who came from 53 (Welsh) Inf Div. Don't get me started on 67 (Queens Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry) Sig Sqn (V) though, they had their own stable belt and were dead to us!! :)
Shortest unit title: E Tp(V) of 244 Sig Sqn in Maindy Bks, Cardiff in the early 90s. Wonder if that was anything to do with 53?

Shortest unit title: E Tp(V) of 244 Sig Sqn in Maindy Bks, Cardiff in the early 90s. Wonder if that was anything to do with 53?
I don't think so, there were a lot of different units in Maindy Bks. Each sqn in 37 Sig Regt had three numbered troops co-located with the Sqn HQ (in 43's case it was 866, 867 and 899 Tps at Bridgwater) with a County Military Headquarters (CMHQ) Tp located in another TA Centre (in 43's case down at Exeter).

Didn't 244 used to be at Brize Norton with the Crab's Tactical Communications Wing?

I don't think so, there were a lot of different units in Maindy Bks. Each sqn in 37 Sig Regt had three numbered troops co-located with the Sqn HQ (in 43's case it was 866, 867 and 899 Tps at Bridgwater) with a County Military Headquarters (CMHQ) Tp located in another TA Centre (in 43's case down at Exeter).

Didn't 244 used to be at Brize Norton with the Crab's Tactical Communications Wing?
Indeed it did. A, B & C Tps at Brize, D Tp at Upavon and E Tp(V) in Cardiff. I was in D Tp. Only ever met one bloke from E Tp, a 900yr old Major FAC type. Fair do's, we went out on the Plain and played with a couple of Tornados and smoke grenades, and he seemed know his stuff. Probably learned his FAC stuff on biplanes, he was that old :)

Indeed it did. A, B & C Tps at Brize, D Tp at Upavon and E Tp(V) in Cardiff. I was in D Tp. Only ever met one bloke from E Tp, a 900yr old Major FAC type. Fair do's, we went out on the Plain and played with a couple of Tornados and smoke grenades, and he seemed know his stuff. Probably learned his FAC stuff on biplanes, he was that old :)
Talking about the 'old and bold', when I was naught but a lad in 1985 I deployed down to Truro on Ex BRAVE DEFENDER and worked in the HQ 43 (Wx) Bde G6 Cell. There were some frighteningly old watch keepers on the strength who seemed (to my eyes) to be of Boer War vintage. I remember one who was known to all the staff officers as 'Monty' (no, not that one!) who sported a very cool line in Denison Smocks with both para and commando badges on it. However, for their ages and the fact that they were all permanently obscured in a haze of pipe smoke they all seemed very good at their jobs - 'unflappable' sums them up.

Even more minor point...

The history of 229 Signal Squadron goes back to 1 Sep 59, formerly Berlin Signal Squadron in the Olympic Stadium Berlin, redesignated 229 Signal Squadron (Berlin Infantry Brigade), the squadron is recorded as forming 29 Signal Regiment in Jan 88.

LD17

Old-Salt
Hi all,

Just a warning order of sorts, I have received (waiting for the final documents next week) some Army Staff College Precis from 1983 and more crucially 1988/89. I will be updating as soon as possible. Some things that have come to light...........
1) each Div of Inf was slated to provide Bns in two BAOR locations starting in the early 1990's. Queen's Div would provide three (i'm guessing because all three Regts were "large")
2) all the Regular Type B Bns in the UK assigned to MHD upon TTW would provide their MILAN Pls to BAOR (except the Paras and I am guessing the UK Gurkha Bn). These Pls would come under command of the three TA Bns in the FEBA (4 RGJ, 5 Queens, & 1/51 Hld Vols)
3) the RAC Center Regt @ Bovington/Lulworth & the RAC Training Regt @ Catterick would provide the manpower for the Armd Del Regt (along with some other units) effectively breaking up the Regt that was assigned (In 1989 it was the ORIH)
4) Regional affiliations of RAC, RHA, & RA Regts in 1989

More to come..............

Latest Threads