BAOR Exercises

Can't think of where else to post this - MODs feel free to move.

Does anyone have or know of a definitive list of 'major' exercises and CPX in BAOR 1984-1990? Thinking of "all-arms" type, e.g. Lionheart, Crusader, Reforger, Trutziger Sachsen, etc, not arm/unit specific such as "Engineer Concentration".

Google just return much - or I'm using the wrong words!

TVMIA

Can't think of where else to post this - MODs feel free to move.

Does anyone have or know of a definitive list of 'major' exercises and CPX in BAOR 1984-1990? Thinking of "all-arms" type, e.g. Lionheart, Crusader, Reforger, Trutziger Sachsen, etc, not arm/unit specific such as "Engineer Concentration".

Google just return much - or I'm using the wrong words!

TVMIA
Ex Cross Swords

I was on Ex Iron Hammer in either '88 or '89

I also managed a Sheldrake Spear about the same time

Cab- yeah, I'm not looking for info on any particular ex, just a list of the major FDX/CPX in the time I was there, so I can remember - or put a name to - the exercises I was involved in.

I remember being frozen solid for three weeks - forgotten it was Iron Hammer. I did a CPX in March 85 and another in summer 88, no idea what they were called.

Reforger was 1987, but was the the ex that involved the US V (?) Corp coming over, and CO 3DIV issuing a Div-wide briefing on VHS?

Cab- yeah, I'm not looking for info on any particular ex, just a list of the major FDX/CPX in the time I was there, so I can remember - or put a name to - the exercises I was involved in.

I remember being frozen solid for three weeks - forgotten it was Iron Hammer. I did a CPX in March 85 and another in summer 88, no idea what they were called.

Reforger was 1987, but was the the ex that involved the US V (?) Corp coming over, and CO 3DIV issuing a Div-wide briefing on VHS?
OK,I´m prtty sure that there is a German forum dedicated to our Cold War antics.I´ll see if I can find it again Mate
M136.de » Großmanöver
May be of help

Iron hammer was a great exercise, if memory serves it was suspended due to snowfall, one of our POD wagons tipped up in the Weser, we "captured" a load of Belgians as well, and yes it was bloody cold the whole time.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Try here:

M136.de

I don't claim it to be complete, but it gives good coverage of most of the big exercises through the decades.

Learn German first: it might help.

Keystone

Oh lol... such is the power of arrse that googling Ex Keystone BAOR brings this thread at the top of the results... :)

Alien - tvm, having fun with google translate now.

Ah, Ex Certain Strike was another.. THAT was the bugger in 87 with the 3DIV briefing, I'msure.

And don't forget you LIONHEART fans. I've donated my excellent 4 copies of LIONHEART News to this years Christmas Charity push.

Ive kept them in good nick for 27 years, there must be a reason for that, as I'm not generally a hoarder.

It was a cracking exercise, and although bloody hard work, definately better than Crusader, and the dozens of two weekers that littered my career.

Tiny

From memory there was a major (national level) Ex every four years - Lionheart, Crusader et al - and a Div level Ex in the intervening years.

Us loggies always ran Ex Pack Saddle on the back of that years major FTX.

The only name comming to mind is Eternal Triangle which I beleive was 3 Div but I could be wrong.

IRON HAMMER was 1988. I remember doing a number of Ex SUMMER SALES CPX might have been a winter one too?

Tiny. Bit before your 1984 request. Red Claymore in 1981, not sure if there were other similar named Claymores later though, as in the Reforgers 1&2 etc, and I recall something 'Caravan' in the late 80's.

I was taken out on Ex Burger Hunt in 1988 from Osnabruck up to Hamburg by the LAD. the sole purpose was to get me laid and lose my cherry ...........all went well until a few months later when they intercepted a letter from a lass id shagged back in the UK a few months before the trip with a few details about our encounter. They kept the letter in the LAD bar, gave me a ride on the DEMAG express (LAD Crane) spillsorbed and PX7'd me and a few 100DM was used as compensation to the weekend piss up for what they had paid out. Not too sure if the exercise was top priority in BAOR at the time though.

Oh and of course, musnt forget the most arduous, involving the most mileage and the one where you were more prone to injury, (legs, arms, neck) than any other exervise, and death was only a bottle of Asbach away.

Snow Queen.

The CPX run-up exercise prior to EX CRUSADER 80 was called EX RED GUANTLET and was centred on the Umpire Control Centre Headquarters (UCC) at Tofrek Barracks in Hildesheim if I recall correctly. It was the first time TACIPRINT was deployed and they produced a Miss Crusader at the end. I believe it was a much sought after souvenir.

EX CRUSADER also saw the live para-drop of the US 82nd Airborne Division who had flown from the USA as part of Ex REFORGER (ReinForcement of Germany)

Oh and of course, musnt forget the most arduous, involving the most mileage and the one where you were more prone to injury, (legs, arms, neck) than any other exervise, and death was only a bottle of Asbach away.Snow Queen.
I was lucky enough to go as a VM for 3 months with the RAMC to the only mixed hut at the time in 1989 on snow queen.......I did about 2 days ski-ing in 3 months and the rest of the time recovering from the night time activities of the courses.